• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

PRK/LASIK Before TBS?

Zequa

Just graduated OCS. I'm on PTAD for another 5 months before TBS starts. I've already been through NAMI and qualified and everything. However, I'm trying to decide if it would be a good idea to try and get PRK or LASIK in one eye (shooting eye) before TBS starts. I took the flight physical a year ago now, so I would have to get another one anyways. Should this be enough time to get a waiver to come through by the end of TBS, or would it possibly mess things up for another flight physical and getting re-qualified on time? My vision is about 20/25 in the left eye and 20/30-40 in the right eye (shooting eye). It's about 20/30 in the daytime but when it gets dark, it drops to around 20/40 because of astigmatism. I can see well and got through OCS just fine without wearing glasses except for night study, but it could be better. The reason I want to get the surgery is that the unbalanced vision bugs me and causes a bit of discomfort and headaches especially when it gets darker. I want to be able to shoot the best I can at TBS during quals and thought this might help. I have glasses, but most of the time they really aren't necessary and would just be a hindrance at TBS. I see surgery as beneficial down the road and would look into it anyways. The left eye would probably come later on in a few years. Just trying to decide if now is a good time or not. Any input is appreciated, thanks for checking out the post!

Bad_Karma_1310

pilot
I'm a Navy guy and don't really understand caring about shooting qual at TBS.

But this is probably your only chance for 5+ years to have enough time off to get PRK. I would get it done now. Getting PRK was on of the best things the Navy did for me.