• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Private Pilot's License advantage question.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
And I would be the first one to join you at the bar - MY TREAT!

:D:D:D:D

Yer a good man, Charlie Brown.

snoopyiz4.gif

invertedflyer

500 ft. from said obstacle
Is there any significant advantage one having a Private Pilots License would get for applying for a SNA or SNFO? Thanks.

@OP -- This has been discussed before, but to save you some time I'll answer your question briefly.

Any time in the cockpit IMO is good experience, however if you don't go beyond your PPL its not going to be much more than the 25-30 hrs. your going to do at Intrudoctory Flight Screening (IFS). IF you decide to go for your instrument rating then you're setting yourself up for success. IMO Instrument flying is one of the most challenging aspects of training.. fun, but challenging. More than one Naval Aviator has told me that they believe an Instrument Rating (or decent amounts of instrument time) would gain you an advantage in primary.

The only things I think a PPL would help with is just being comfortable soloing an airplane, as well as radio procedures. Again though, these things will be introduced in IFS.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
@OP -- This has been discussed before, but to save you some time I'll answer your question briefly.

Any time in the cockpit IMO is good experience, however if you don't go beyond your PPL its not going to be much more than the 25-30 hrs. your going to do at Intrudoctory Flight Screening (IFS). IF you decide to go for your instrument rating then you're setting yourself up for success. IMO Instrument flying is one of the most challenging aspects of training.. fun, but challenging. More than one Naval Aviator has told me that they believe an Instrument Rating (or decent amounts of instrument time) would gain you an advantage in primary.

The only things I think a PPL would help with is just being comfortable soloing an airplane, as well as radio procedures. Again though, these things will be introduced in IFS.

But that wasn't really the question. The question was would it benefit in the application process. Believe me, my "Try a search first" button was primed.

invertedflyer

500 ft. from said obstacle
^^ No doubt that it was, I've seen this discussed ad nausium on these forms in years past... I figured he may end up in primary if he gets selected, and may want to know how certain training may or may not benefit him.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
But that wasn't really the question. The question was would it benefit in the application process....
FUCK ME!!! At least one person has reading skilz here ....

RTFQ people ... :eek:

And for the record .... I had 30 +/- hours (NROTC FFP Program = PPL) and basically NO instrument time when I arrived in my bucks, white suit, Panama hat, and steamer trunks in Pensacola -- but yet ... somehow I excelled in Primary and Instruments and other high-time civie-types got .... less. Much, much less ... :D

It's the man ... NOT the machine. It's the man ... NOT the logbook.

And after 30 years in the airlines .... I know that is truth .... and if YOU don't, then you never will .... :)

BullGator

No ... it's a typo. It should have read: A4sFornever. :sleep_125
:D Cool man.

A4s: I see you were in the airlines, you don't happen to know a pilot by the call-sign of Gator (now a nickname. US Air, out of Dallas), do you? --insert e-sarcasim here; hell, an honest answer would do ok too. :icon_tong Whatever you want--

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
:D Cool man.

A4s: I see you were in the airlines, you don't happen to know a pilot by the call-sign of Gator (now a nickname. US Air, out of Dallas), do you? --insert e-sarcasim here; hell, an honest answer would do ok too. :icon_tong Whatever you want--

Nope, sorry .... don't recall a "Gator" ... although I ate a couple and shot a couple more .... :) ... US Air didn't "do Dallas" except for the former Braniff, former Piedmont/Allegheny guys ... and they're long since retired ...

Oh, yeah ... don't call me "man" ... I don't like that hippie talk. :)

BullGator

Nope, sorry .... don't recall a "Gator" ... although I ate a couple and shot a couple more .... :) ... US Air didn't "do Dallas" except for the former Braniff, former Piedmont/Allegheny guys ... and they're long since retired ...

Oh, yeah ... don't call me "man" ... I don't like that hippie talk. :)
Nope, this one's alive and well, and still flying (not as happy as he was some years back though, with the changes and retirement thefts; I think).

Damn, can't think of a real hippy thing to say. The best I got is the ninja turtles/bart simpson's "cowabunga." But that doesn't really work here, nor is it good at all. Oh well. Next time. :D
P.S. Who likes hippies? Not me. But I do say man a hell of a lot.