• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Private Pilot's License advantage question.

kmackinley

Is there any significant advantage one having a Private Pilots License would get for applying for a SNA or SNFO? Thanks.

Bolter

pilot
If you have two identical packages next to each other and the board must only choose one, then maybe. I would certainly say that in primary those who had some flying experience seemed to feel more comfortable talking to tower and approach and whatnot. Once you reach a "tactical" level (in advanced), I don't really feel that it will make that big of a difference in your abilities to be a good naval aviator.

PURower

pilot
Alittle extra experience never hurts. That said, don't break the bank to get a whole bunch of flight time. Like bolter said it might make you more comfortable talking on the radios or initially give you a slightly better idea of what is going on around you.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
No. It's unlikely to make any difference in applying, and we'd rather get a stud with no time than a bunch of time. Less bad habits to unlearn.

This question and variations have been asked and answered. Welcome to AW, and Search is your friend.

Zbone8762

Anything helps - with more flight time - you may only get a high velocity kneeboard thrown at your head 9 times as opposed to 10. So, in that context, it may help.

Flugelman

Contributor
When is the last time you applied??

???

I actually saw two applicants get accepted back to back that had ppl's when I was working at NRD NY... So it might actually help a little.. just maybe..

High velocity kneeboard inbound! Duck, young'un! :eek:

BullGator

For what ??? Social Security ??
A4sForever: Just curious, did you actually fly an A4? My dad flew A4s and A6s for the Navy (1970's) and he loved it. I heard alot about them.

(-not poking fun- I'm just a civilian and I have it forged into my personality to respect the hell out of everyone that has served (Yes even the Army and Coast Gaurd :D, jk, I also respect the Army.).)

phrogpilot73

A4sForever: Just curious, did you actually fly an A4? My dad flew A4s and A6s for the Navy (1970's) and he loved it. I heard alot about them.

(-not poking fun- I'm just a civilian and I have it forged into my personality to respect the hell out of everyone that has served (Yes even the Army and Coast Gaurd :D, jk, I also respect the Army.).)
You haven't been on the site long, have you? A4's started off in the A-6E (a jet that even would have wanted to fly, then transitioned to the A-4 flying adversary.

chrly_dont_srf

Is there any significant advantage one having a Private Pilots License would get for applying for a SNA or SNFO? Thanks.

I don't think there would be a significant advantage, however, a Private Pilot's License shows that you are capable of soloing an aircraft and that gives you somewhat of an advantage in the application process. Also, it will give you a little more confidence in the beginning of your flight training as you will be used to the communications and the aviation lingo which for me was the second hardest thing in flying but after awhile it becomes second nature. But in the end I think it will come down to your inherent ability to become a navy aviator or NFO, not on your previous flight time.

Clux4

Banned
I don't think there would be a significant advantage, however, a Private Pilot's License shows that you are capable of soloing an aircraft and that gives you somewhat of an advantage in the application process. Also, it will give you a little more confidence in the beginning of your flight training as you will be used to the communications and the aviation lingo which for me was the second hardest thing in flying but after awhile it becomes second nature. But in the end I think it will come down to your inherent ability to become a navy aviator or NFO, not on your previous flight time.

So what was the first harderst thing? Landing?!!? Maybe?