• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Prior Flighttime

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Pap said:
Hog wash? I disagree.

Prior flight time will not keep a SNA from attriting, if that SNA has a bad attitude or study habits. Prior flight time will allow a person who might have ended primary with a 45 NSS, to end up with a 55-60 NSS. There are SNA’s that have never touched an airplane, who show up to primary and end up with a 60+ NSS because they are s#!t hot sticks. However, the majority of SNA’s out there are not in that category. Prior flight time will enable an average SNA to get higher grades at the end of primary.

Simply put, if you end up attriting out of Primary because of a lack of enthusiasm/bad attitude/study habits/etc. No amount of flight time would have saved you. That’s why we get all the stories of CFII’s attriting out of API and Primary. Those folks were destined to fail before they ever showed up to Pensacola, its just that no one told them yet.

Very well put.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
gatordev said:
@A4s: I think we're in agreement that ability has a major role......I just picked GoPlay's post as it was the most....succinct. ;)....
Oh, man ... OH, MAN !!! Now you've gone and done it!! I'M NOT SUCCINCT ??!!?? :eek:
A4's is NOT SUCCINCT !!??!!??:eek:
If all you boys --- had all the answers --- you would all be beautiful people --- and wouldn't need to ask, yes??? You can't have "succinct" and have sea stories or "been-there-done-that" comparisons to the here and now. Or "lessons learned", based on .... (*gasp*) ... "experience". :eek:

No more sea stories for you guys, then ... :icon_rast

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
goplay234 said:
The lack of a three pinks and your gone thing is pretty crazy. However, having gone through when the transition in grading was occurring, I can tell you that IP's were definitely less likely to pink a guy during the 3 pinks and your gone phase as opposed to the new MINTS crap. You might have scored a couple of belows but no pink came your way. With the new system, you can really send yourself up the river if you fail a couple of flights. Instructors do that now IMO than they did in the old system. Just my 2 cents. But prior flight time does help, if you know how to apply it.

And I think part of the reason for this is that you now have to establish more of a trend. Because you can skate through with more pink, it also means that more pink shows a trend when it's time to go to the commodore. Before, it was "you're screwed up, and you were screwed up 2 other times, so we're done." Now you can be screwed up for longer.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
MIDNJAC said:
okay....here's another question.....

I heard from a few fleet JO's (on summer cruise) that I shouldn't tell my instructors in primary that I have prior flight experience (Commercial, IR, around 350-400 hours....probably more by then).......would you agree w/ this, or would it be better to let them know right off the bat? It doesn't seem like being dishonest would be the best route to begin my career, but do any of you see any truth to this? Their reasoning was that the IPs would be harder on me, although to be honest, that doesn't really worry me.....any other good reasons for this, or is this just bad gouge?
Yea, bum gouge as others have pointed out. Don't be an idiot and try to hide your experience. They're gonna know. My instructor thought he was slick and would jack with the trim wheel. I could feel the controls tighten up, look over and see the wheel moving. So I would hold pressure on the stick and get the trim back to where it was supposed to be. Not sure what he was trying to accomplish other than piss me off, but things like this the instructors do (and how you react) will make it very clear you have previous experience.

S.O.B.

pilot
jg5343 said:
100% HOG WASH

Refer to A4s wisdom above.
That's it.

I don’t know how primary is these days but when I went through they graded you on your ability to fly a plane. If it was your first time flying one, typically you didn’t do as well as someone who had flown one before. I would be willing to bet a paycheck that if you researched NSSs in primary, prior flight time guys would beat zero flight time guys. Any Primary IPs out there that could back that up?