• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Prior Flighttime

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm a civilian pilot, but look at my warfare pin <--------

What do you see? No, those aren't naval aviators wings.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
I thought we had beat this to death ... but let's do it again. :icon_rast

In my opinion .... overall ... it doesn't make any difference. No difference at the end of the day --- when you get your Wings.

Guys who had beau coup hours got desks -- I remember one who got attrited -- and guys who had NO prior flight time got Fleet seats. It all depends on how well you adapt and do in the Navy system of flying .... save your civilian flight time money for other things.

Steve Wilkins

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
A4sForever said:
I thought we had beat this to death ... but let's do it again. :icon_rast

In my opinion .... overall ... it doesn't make any difference. No difference at the end of the day --- when you get your Wings.
This is kind of what I said

A4sForever said:
Guys who had beau coup hours got desks -- I remember one who got attrited -- and guys who had NO prior flight time got Fleet seats. It all depends on how well you adapt and do in the Navy system of flying .... save your civilian flight time money for other things.
Bingo! Obviously, I didn't adapt too well.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Steve Wilkins said:
Bingo! Obviously, I didn't adapt too well.
No, you had an ******* of an instructor. And the rest of us should have slapped more sense into you and NOT let you decide to go to SWO land.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
goplay234 said:
I guess I'll chime in. It all depends on how flexible you are. I had a guy in my class who was a CFII and he got the highest NSS out of Intermediate than any FO in something like 5 years. There was another guy in my class who had his license and he washed out. It just all depends on how flexible you are. You will definitely be ahead of the game in instruments if you have gone that far. The radios will be a bit easier. However, the non-experienced guys will not have learned any bad habits or habits in general that could get you into trouble for not doing it according to the FTI. So, the bottom line is, yes, I think prior flight training is good. However, be ready to chuck all that crap out the window if it doesn't fit into what they teach you. You are in the Navy, you best do it their way.

This is probably the most meaningful and true post in this thread.

As has been stated in many a thread before this one, 40 hours and a PPL isn't going to help you for long. But anyone who says several hundred hours isn't helpful WHILE doing what goplay is saying, is missing the boat.

Can an IP tank my NSS by making me do extra maneuvers I don't need to, even if I do them well?

In a sense, yes, if you didn't make MIF initially. Let's assume MIF for a maneuver is 4. The "average" of a 3, a 4, and a 4 is less than the average of a 4, a 4, and a 4. That's a simplified way to look at it, but it makes the point.

Steve Wilkins

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
gatordev said:
This is probably the most meaningful and true post in this thread.

As has been stated in many a thread before this one, 40 hours and a PPL isn't going to help you for long. But anyone who says several hundred hours isn't helpful WHILE doing what goplay is saying, is missing the boat.
Hold on there Wind Triangle Guru. I don't most of us here are talking about the fellow who has several hundred hours with some instrument time. At least, I'm not anyway. I think we're talking about the average jack ass with some yoke time behind he belt.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Well, I guess I was expanding the discussion. Like I said, there's a bunch of other threads about this, and it usually breaks down into guys w/ a PPL and guys w/ several hundred hours or more. Either way, you need to adapt to the FTI. I can tell you that even fleet pilots have issues with this at first, it's just overcome pretty quickly.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
gatordev said:
.....But anyone who says several hundred hours isn't helpful WHILE doing what goplay is saying, is missing the boat......

I didn't miss the BOAT ... got nearly 500 traps. But man, some of you guys are REALLY hard sells on this question ... you have your minds made up on the subject of prior flight time. Great, it's a big sky ... and you're entitled to your opinion.

GoPlay sez: "It all depends on how flexible you are..."

So what else is new?? But ... If you are:

1. "flexible" (i.e., capable of learning)
2. have basic motor skills
3. pay attention
4. have a good attitude

--- you will succeed in Naval Aviation --- whether you have 2000 hours of prior time or zero hours. The flight training syllabus is NOT designed for people who have prior flight time.

ANYTHING ... "MIGHT" ... be .... "helpful" ... a cup of coffee, a chocolate covered donut, or a good bowel movement prior to flight.

I had three guys in my Primary Flight @ Saufley who had over 500 hours --- one had over 2000 hours. The 2000 hour guy was even instructing HIS PRIMARY FLIGHT INSTRUCTOR IN ACROBATICS !!! HE WAS BETTER THAN HIS PLOW-BACK INSTRUCTOR IN ACRO ... !!! But at the end of Primary flight .... Two other fellows with NO prior flight time and I beat them and got jets. They didn't ...

At the beginning of jet training, I had NO PRIOR FLIGHT TIME IN INSTRUMENTS. And yet I "aced" BI and RI hop in every stage, all phases, every aircraft, every base.

I don't have any ax to grind here. I went through with hundreds of other STUDs ... I've instructed hundreds of STUDs ... prior flight time didn't affect the final outcome. Only #'s 1, 2, 3, and 4 (above) did ... :)

Good guys were good and generally got what they wanted ... the average guys were average .... and the plumbers were plumbers --- no matter how much prior time they may have had in their logbook. Prior time will NOT make you the Naval Aviator you want to be .... only #'s 1,2,3, and 4 (above) will .... :)

pilotvmi

An instrument rating would help a lot in the RI stage. As far as everything else I would have to say that prior time isnt that big of a help. The radios are really easy, all the calls are in the course rules book. I dont know a lot of people who did PA's and forms on the civilian side. IFS prepares people well the techniques of landing a small airplane. I found the t-34 easier to land than a c-152. If I were to get useful prior flight time prior to primary I would do instrument stuff. Dont get an instrument rating just do a few VOR approaches and some holding(obviously not tacan). Knowing those concepts would help out a lot in RI's.

Schmuck

This helps too in addition to prior time:

1. Cross your fingers and toes for a good FAM onwing. (FAM grades can carry you through the program)
2. Tell them you have tons of prior flight time.
3. Tell them all you want to fly is jets. (proven theory)
4. And those 4 things A4's mentioned.

But seriously, I had no prior time (just IFS)(wish I had a little instrument time as mentioned by BLWHLE2) studied hard and did exactly what the FTI and instructors told me to do and I made it to Meridian.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Steve Wilkins said:
I'm a civilian pilot, but look at my warfare pin <--------
What do you see? No, those aren't naval aviators wings.

FACT:
Being a Shoe will definitely not help you in flight school.

New standard issues SWO black shoes:
b365713f.jpg

midhusker

Discovering my inner nerd-ness
maybe I am confused, but how could prior flight time and/or ratings that cause you to VALIDATE part of the syllabus and ADD free points to your NSS not be a good thing? If I would have known about the validation (accelerated) program, I would have spent my year of TAD duty getting my instrument rating instead of coaching meathead football players. Sure would have lowered the "I wonder what I am going to select" stress level if my NSS was so high because my TGI was so low.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
A4sForever said:
I didn't miss the BOAT ... got nearly 500 traps. But man, some of you guys are REALLY hard sells on this question ... you have your minds made up on the subject of prior flight time. Great, it's a big sky ... and you're entitled to your opinion.

GoPlay sez: "It all depends on how flexible you are..."

So what else is new?? But ... If you are:

1. "flexible" (i.e., capable of learning)
2. have basic motor skills
3. pay attention
4. have a good attitude

--- you will succeed in Naval Aviation --- whether you have 2000 hours of prior time or zero hours. The flight training syllabus is NOT designed for people who have prior flight time.

ANYTHING ... "MIGHT" ... be .... "helpful" ... a cup of coffee, a chocolate covered donut, or a good bowel movement prior to flight.

I had three guys in my Primary Flight @ Saufley who had over 500 hours --- one had over 2000 hours. The 2000 hour guy was even instructing HIS PRIMARY FLIGHT INSTRUCTOR IN ACROBATICS !!! HE WAS BETTER THAN HIS PLOW-BACK INSTRUCTOR IN ACRO ... !!! But at the end of Primary flight .... Two other fellows with NO prior flight time and I beat them and got jets. They didn't ...

At the beginning of jet training, I had NO PRIOR FLIGHT TIME IN INSTRUMENTS. And yet I "aced" BI and RI hop in every stage, all phases, every aircraft, every base.

I don't have any ax to grind here. I went through with hundreds of other STUDs ... I've instructed hundreds of STUDs ... prior flight time didn't affect the final outcome. Only #'s 1, 2, 3, and 4 (above) did ... :)

Good guys were good and generally got what they wanted ... the average guys were average .... and the plumbers were plumbers --- no matter how much prior time they may have had in their logbook. Prior time will NOT make you the Naval Aviator you want to be .... only #'s 1,2,3, and 4 (above) will .... :)

Either people have it or they don't. If a guy with 2000 hours doesn't have it, he won't make make it regardless. If a guy has what it takes and has 2000 hours, it's going to help, especially in the beginning......period. Flight school is not that difficult and anyone with an inkling of flying ability is going to make it through. Things like CQ, BFM, TAC forms, etc are things that will probably equal out everyone since it's stuff that normally isn't available in the civilian world.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
bunk22 said:
Either people have it or they don't. If a guy with 2000 hours doesn't have it, he won't make make it regardless. If a guy has what it takes and has 2000 hours, it's going to help, especially in the beginning......period. Flight school is not that difficult and anyone with an inkling of flying ability is going to make it through. Things like CQ, BFM, TAC forms, etc are things that will probably equal out everyone since it's stuff that normally isn't available in the civilian world.

True. And I was basically talking about Primary, and not all of the pipeline.

@A4s: I think we're in agreement that ability has a major role. But in a previous post, you were echoing what goplay was saying, as you did in your last post, and that's that you still have to be flexible (a cornerstone of Naval Aviation, in general). I just picked GoPlay's post as it was the most....succinct. ;)

maybe I am confused, but how could prior flight time and/or ratings that cause you to VALIDATE part of the syllabus and ADD free points to your NSS not be a good thing? If I would have known about the validation (accelerated) program, I would have spent my year of TAD duty getting my instrument rating instead of coaching meathead football players. Sure would have lowered the "I wonder what I am going to select" stress level if my NSS was so high because my TGI was so low.

Just because you have a rating doesn't mean you can fly the aircraft well initially. You may have the concepts down, but making the plane do what you want is a major part as well. So if you're skipping ahead, you don't get as much time to adapt to the aircraft, which may not give you as high as grades by the end of training than you would have had. Flying a cessna at 90 knots on an approach is night and day from flying an aircraft that never seems to want to be trimmed at 150 knots. I really wouldn't look at it as a missed opportunity.