• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Primary on Monday

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Wow, just a little over a year ago it was VT-2 that you wanted to be in; the -6 guys were the ones who looked miserable.

It's still somewhat the same. None of the squadrons at whiting are bad right now- different personalities in each ready room make the student experience slightly different but overall there aren't the command climate issues that were seen at some of the squadrons a couple years ago.

Erin M.

pilot
Wow, just a little over a year ago it was VT-2 that you wanted to be in; the -6 guys were the ones who looked miserable.
Everybody still shoots for VT2. I've never heard anything bad about VT6 except that it is slow to get students through, but I'm not really sure how much control the squadron has over that. VT3 is the one everybody says to avoid.

Honestly, I'm not sure why everyone makes such a big deal over those things. You have very little control over which squadron you end up with. You may find that the very things that make one squadron avoided by everyone else are preferable to your learning style. Maybe you end up with an on-wing you really click with. Who knows? That is why I just figure it is better to focus on things that ARE under my control and just roll with everything else.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Everybody still shoots for VT2. I've never heard anything bad about VT6 except that it is slow to get students through, but I'm not really sure how much control the squadron has over that. VT3 is the one everybody says to avoid.

Honestly, I'm not sure why everyone makes such a big deal over those things. You have very little control over which squadron you end up with. You may find that the very things that make one squadron avoided by everyone else are preferable to your learning style. Maybe you end up with an on-wing you really click with. Who knows? That is why I just figure it is better to focus on things that ARE under my control and just roll with everything else.

Doesn't change the fact that the -6 were miserable and had to deal with much more BS from their front office that we did from ours. YMMV.

Erin M.

pilot
^I believe it. I just mean it isn't like you can say, "I don't want this squadron, give me a different one."

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
Squadrons change with their COs. There's some carryover culture, but the CO can drastically change the overall feeling of a squadron, even in TRACOM.

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
Back in my day VT-6 was the "Love Squadron". VT-6 students were having "aboves" taken away when selection time came around to ensure the squadrons were compared equally.
VT-2 was the "par" squadron. VT-3 was the "Red Nazis" and those students actually gained "aboves" at selection time.

I realize the that Air Force grading system went to something different. Rather than "Above" I think it's "High 5's" and instead of belows, you get "Hugs" or something like that.

My point it, each squadron will change constantly as the front office changes over and instructors came and go.
All you can do it your best and remember, that what ever aircraft you get to fly in the fleet is the best-kept secret in the Navy.

Renegade One

None
Starting Primary this Monday, August 13th, with VT-6.

I don't have any questions or concerns, I'm just excited and needed an outlet. :D
Just wanted to give you one more shout out the day before...have a GREAT time...do good. The Fleet needs you and those like you... ;)

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
I imagine the in brief now: "Okay, which one of you is the Air Warriors guy? And please tell me you aren't starting a blog soon..."

Erin M.

pilot
I imagine the in brief now: "Okay, which one of you is the Air Warriors guy? And please tell me you aren't starting a blog soon..."

Tomorrow:
No sir! No blog soon.
::whispers to student next to me - "I'll already started one.":: :cool:

Wingnut172N

Tumbleweed
pilot
Dude, enjoy Primary! If you hit it HARD in ground school the workload drops off a bunch after contacts. You can almost coast, and it's an absolute blast. Get ahead early. The T-6 is ridiculously fun to fly, you're going to love it.