• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Primary on Monday

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
As a current CAT-2 rocking the CBT thing once again, they aren't entirely useless. As long as you're bouncing them off NATOPS/NATIP/your instructors they can be a great resource. Hell, today I did one that left me wondering where the hell was this when I was an upgrading TACCO!?!??! The plus side of CBTs is that they can make the blue sleeping pill digestible. The downside is that they can make you more inclined to just use them for aircraft knowledges rather than the source documents. Moral of the story, powerpoints/CBTs can make you want to gouge your eyes out, but used correctly can be effective.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Sounds human factors-ish, which is its own special beast. I've yet to see the CAI that didn't just rehash NATOPS/TACMAN/FTI/what-have-you. Not saying that digging deep is wrong or anything, but "performance" on CAIs isn't a leading indicator of problems, it's a lagging one.

Note my loathing of CAIs in my previous post. I'm not saying it would have changed anything, it was just a clue that there were other issues (as you deduced).

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
FWIW, some of the newer CAIs (CBTs, whatever) aren't as bad as the ones from ten years ago... which is to say... something.

Good example- animation of a little airplane flying around an approach plate with a simultaneous animation of what the navigation instruments are doing. You can replay it to your heart's content until you get it, and you can go back on any day to review it. These kinda of things used to be taught in person by a ground school instructor using training aids- big models and short VHS videos (or Super-8 movies). You could go back and mess with the models or sign out the video tape if you wanted to review.

OK example- planning problems with the animated highlighted arrows that go across and down the performance charts while the math problem gets worked out step by step right there on the screen. These kinds of things used to be taught in person by a ground school instructor- not the same thing as a 1-2 hour review taught by a ground school instructor.

Bad example- anything that is little more than a computerized version of flashcards (that everybody used to make themselves during a old-fashioned, time-tested activity known as "studying" and/or "hitting the books") accompanied by somewhat relevant but not particularly helpful illustrations. These ones are just filler... and a lot of students still do the flashcard thing on their own time.

HueyCobra8151

pilot
CAI's (or whatever your acronym-du-jour is) on CD for use at home are at least halfway useful.

Why don't they do that in primary or advanced again?

parrothead08

KCCO
pilot
I like when CAIs have wrong or out-of-date information. I also like doing the EP CAIs, clicking .5mm to the left of the switch/knob on screen and it starts over.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
I like when CAIs have wrong or out-of-date information. I also like doing the EP CAIs, clicking .5mm to the left of the switch/knob on screen and it starts over.

Most of the CAIs in Kingsville are outdated and useless. Apparently we use them anyway.

draad

In T-45 land, I'm grateful that all the instructors acknowledge the shortcomings of the CAIs. Some of them are helpful when utilized correctly, but everything still relies on good old ground school with CAIs being a supplement. Now in the T6B curriculum, they just went full blown turbo dick retard with the CAIs. We had T6 students sitting in on our T-34 RI groundschool because none of them understood wtf was going on from their pure CAIs.

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
Yeah, HTs have started a T-6 only RI class because basic knowledge was lacking. That's not due to just CAIs, though...