• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Present/Prior Sub guys?

EM1

Forsan et haec olim meminisse iuvabit
I thought you had to report in January. Why the rush to get out there? You won't get there before the boat pulls out, most likely they'll have you working at squadron until they either pull in somewhere else and fly you there, or until the boat comes back. Or there's a small chance you'll get an ORDMOD and go to another boat on the waterfront.

No harm trying to get in touch with people on your boat, but there's a lot that will be beyond your control, especially when you transfer. You almost seem to be in a panic over what's going on, but I promise you this has all happened before and you will be ok. Even the part about forgetting everything because its been four months since you looked at the material.

We had a few qualified fleet returnees show up that I wasn't so sure had ever gone through the pipeline based on what they knew. You'll be fine.

Cleonard19

Contributor
I thought you had to report in January. Why the rush to get out there?

It's not a rush to get to the boat, its a rush to get out of here. And i thought it was a little ridiculous that they wanted me to take leave for thanksgiving, to come back and detach a week later.

EM1 said:
No harm trying to get in touch with people on your boat, but there's a lot that will be beyond your control, especially when you transfer. You almost seem to be in a panic.

Not so much of a panic as ready to get out of here, and I'm the kind of person who does things in their entirety before moving on, if possible. So i'd like to know what I need to know and do what I need to do before I detach, so I don't have to think about it at all while I'm on leave.

The panic on the e-mail was that I was told that the boat was scheduled to depart her liberty port within two hours of my phone call, and I wanted to make sure I got the e-mail shot off before they were no longer able to receive e-mail.

EM1

Sounds good to me. I can see wanting to get out of there.

Are you planning on touring the country on your way out?

Cleonard19

Contributor
Sounds good to me. I can see wanting to get out of there.

Are you planning on touring the country on your way out?

I was intending on spending some much needed time with some extended family that more than likely won't be around by the time I rotate from Hawaii. And then I was going to fly out to Hawaii a couple days early and explore Oahu on my own before checking in.

EM1

That's good. Time off can be pretty scarce on some of those boats, especially for junior people. I would definately try to maximize the time you have before you check in.

Best of luck again.

EM1(SS)

ELT(SS)

It's not a rush to get to the boat, its a rush to get out of here. And i thought it was a little ridiculous that they wanted me to take leave for thanksgiving, to come back and detach a week later.

Not so much of a panic as ready to get out of here, and I'm the kind of person who does things in their entirety before moving on, if possible. So i'd like to know what I need to know and do what I need to do before I detach, so I don't have to think about it at all while I'm on leave.

The panic on the e-mail was that I was told that the boat was scheduled to depart her liberty port within two hours of my phone call, and I wanted to make sure I got the e-mail shot off before they were no longer able to receive e-mail.
Subs can get email as long as they are not on mission. Just cruising around we get email when we come up for message traffic, so you should have some ability to communicate with questions and stuff. The only thing is there generally isn't enough time to download and disperse the emails to their respective recipients and then for the recipient to be able to reply, so the process usually takes at least 2 days, but you should be able to hear from them. Also, just for general questions you can call your squadron, their number should be in your orders also. Good Luck

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
My primary concern is that I've been cold turkey out of nuclear power for four months now, and remember next to nothing. I know the specifics don't matter, but I'm grainy on even the basic concepts, and it'd be nice to get a feel for anything I should go look over BEFORE I detach...

Hmm, refresh needed on concepts. How about starting with basics...heat applied to water = steam

0508_hot_John_Raftery_1.jpg

Or as Einstein put it...

cvn-65_cgn-25_cgn-9_1964.jpg