• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Present/Prior Sub guys?

Cleonard19

Contributor
So all of us that were on hold here at prototype that were nonselect for STA-21 have been told to expect a very speedy farewell to the fleet, probably detaching before thanksgiving.

Being a sub vol, i'm trying to prepare myself seabag wise before I detach, because 6 of my 7 closest sub friends reported to their boat and found themselves underway within 24 hours. The 7th found himself deployed 72 hours after checking in. If you wouldn't mind, could you please jot down a quick list of what to have ready to go at a minimum for say a 3 week workup as the NUB on board?

Bevo16

pilot
Like you are going to have room for a full sea-bag in your hot rack. HA!

Pack lots of fresh skivvies, undershirts and socks.

Get hot on those quals, get your fish ASAP. Your package will look a lot stronger next year if you can write "qualified in submarines" on it. Very few STA-21 selects come out of schools command. They want guys with proven performance at sea.

EM1

Forsan et haec olim meminisse iuvabit
A brick of coppenhagen and a wool sock.

Lol.

The brick of coppenhagen can be traded for whatever else you need. So can a carton of Marlboros.

I always took 2-3 weeks worth of socks, skivvies and undershirts. 4-5 sets of coveralls (to include one "dress set" for when VIPs came on board). One set of utilities, and one dress uniform. I hates doing laundry, so for me the longer I have between laundry the better (it also gives me some freedom just in case I couldnt do laundry right when I had planned).

:D

Sorry to hear about your STA-21 deal. Took me three tries over 5 years to finally get it. Stay on top of your quals and ahead of your peers and it will work out for you eventually.
Best of Luck.

Bevo16

pilot
Oh, and don't mention STA-21 when you get to the boat. They don't want to hear about your officer package first thing when you show up. They want to see how fast you are going to get qualified. It's in your best interest to backburner STA-21 for a while and focus on your day job.

Cleonard19

Contributor
Oh, and don't mention STA-21 when you get to the boat. They don't want to hear about your officer package first thing when you show up. They want to see how fast you are going to get qualified. It's in your best interest to backburner STA-21 for a while and focus on your day job.

1) I know i'm going to be hot-racking, which is why I'm asking what to bring adn what to leave behind. through two friends getting out, i have three sea bags. I was going to designate one the boat seabag, and fill the other two with my remaining uniform items, and civvies. And then find a way to finagle them all into my tiny assed car, and get moving.

2) My academy package will be complete before I PCS. My STA-21 package is already well in the works, and will only need interviews by the time I get there. Which I will not be mentioning until I earn fish, let alone ask for the interviews.

So far, I have
3 weeks of underwear
two weeks of socks and t-shirts
three blue t-shirts
one set of NWU's
three poopies
one of each belt
toiletries including bar soap, electric razor, shower shoes, stick deoderant, toothbrush, toothpaste, floss
Black/red pens. Indelible ink of course.
one pair tennis shoes
one set of civvies, in a vacuum sealed bag.

Keeping the dress uniform out to report in.

Anything else I'm missing?

Cleonard19

Contributor
-WoW strategy guide.
-Portable D&D set
-SF/Fantasy paperbacks
-Star trek DVDs
-Star Wars collectible figurines
-Duffel bag with Jack Johnson CD, two cans of Axe, and MORE

I was just going to use the Twidgets....

Before anyone starts asking why I'm doing thsi when I don't even have orders yet, the reason is that because of the expected quick turnaround on orders, I listed my furniture on craigslist. It ended up being much more successful than anticipated, so I'm out of furniture sans diningroom set, and I need a place to put my clothes, so I figured I'd just start packing them.

EM1

Forsan et haec olim meminisse iuvabit
I know the feeling. Without orders you just don't know. Its entirely possible you could get orders to a boat in the yards, or show up to a boomer crew that's moving into off crew. The list you have up looks good to me, I seriously would bring whatever tobacco products you can squeeze in prior to getting underway (assuming that's what's going to happen in your near future). Its currency. Plain and simple, if you use the stuff or not. I would probably grab a couple more sets of coveralls too. An electrician will go through more of them, and you'll figure out as you get going that one or two will be your crappy ones and a couple will be your watchstanding ones, and one will be your ORSE/TRE/VIP set. What you can take depends a lot on your ship class as well.

It's possible you won't hot rack your first run too. Depends on where you go. Ohio classes generally don't (although I did when we had riders - effin middies :)), and if you go to a boat in the yards or in new con, they'll probably send you out on another boat to qualify which is what we did with several USS Virginia crewmembers back in the day.

USNA might be your best bet in the near term, even if it means you have to bring it up before you get fish. If you're a hot runner, you should be alright, but with an age limit of 22 (?) you might want to move on that sooner than later. I can't remember when the deadline is for that program, but I know people have been picked up from the sub fleet for that one without fish. Can't say the same for STA-21.

Let me know when you know where you're going and I can try to help you some more.

Best of luck again.

Cleonard19

Contributor
USNA might be your best bet in the near term, even if it means you have to bring it up before you get fish. If you're a hot runner, you should be alright, but with an age limit of 22 (?) you might want to move on that sooner than later. I can't remember when the deadline is for that program, but I know people have been picked up from the sub fleet for that one without fish. Can't say the same for STA-21.

Let me know when you know where you're going and I can try to help you some more.

Best of luck again.

my package is done, and I talked to the Fleet Programs guy up in Annapolis. He said that despite the instruction, if i were to interview here and send that off, and I end up getting selected, even if i transfer, i'll still get orders to USNA anyways. My only struggle is trying to find time in the skippers schedule
to actually get the interview. My package will be gone before i detach.

The age limit is less than 23 as of july 1 on the year you enter. I'll turn 23 8 days later.

If they send me to a ship in the yards, i'll drive to millington and bitch myself! :p

PCU could be cool.

haubby

None
Contributor
Be prepared to head right to the mess decks for your first underway even as a nuke and prepare yourself to take orders from a CSSA. If they've been underway for awhile tobacco is a golden bargaining tool when it comes to qualifying submarines. Number one thing: Be observant, humble and a quick learner. It'll make your life that much easier.

ELT(SS)

This info is a little dated, mostly because of the uniform changes, I don't know what replaces what and all of that. That being said bring short white socks, not the no-show ones, but long socks take up too much room, yes you read that right.
Before I get too far into this, this list only applies to fast boats, boomers are different, you have lockers and rack pans and all sorts of places to put crap, so that is not much of a worry.
I would have ready 3 coveralls, at least 2 pair of utility pants(or their replacements, like I said I don't know), tennis shoes, 7 pairs of underwear, at least 10 pairs of socks, 7 undershirts, a sleeping bag (not a fluffy one, something small and unobtrusive) and a pillow.
Now, if you are hot-racking it gets a little weird. Since every time I hotracked it seemed like wherever my shower stuff was is where there was somebody sleeping, I recommend the following.
2 sets of all of this:
body wash
shampoo
toothpaste
toothbrush
shower shoes-get a $1.99 pair as a backup from the NEX because you NEVER EVER EVER EVER want to even think about taking the chance of considering possibly wanting to ponder the thought of walking around barefoot.
2 towels
1 razor and cream
and 1 each of facewash, lotion, etc that you may need.
I also recommend a book or PSP or whatever. Just don't fall behind on stuff and then get caught playing sonic the hedgehog in your rack after you said you were too tired to stand your watch during ORSE because you were up late last night doing a monitored evolution. Sorry, still a little bitter about that one, anger.
Realistically, if you bring a little too much stuff people will make fun of you, then make you put your extra stuff in the torpedo room. But, then you forget that you put your bag down there, then when you decommission the boat 3 years later you find your backpack with a pillow and towels and a couple books in it.
Don't overthink it, just go with the flow and don't worry too much. If people are going underway the day after reporting, the Squadron is failing them miserably, or they are telling you stories to make it seem worse than it really is. There are at least 3 days of crap to do with squadron and medical and stuff before you even go to the boat. If your POC at Squadron isn't a douchetard, you will know a couple days in advance no matter what. If nobody knows, find harbor ops and tell them you are reporting to whatever boat and you want to know if you should pack a seabag up.
Technically I am pretty sure you are allowed a week of check-in time before going to the boat. So good luck, hope you get the boat that is broken all of the time, and not the one that is filling in for the broken boats.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Military will ship one vehicle as part of your move. Takes anywhere from 3-6 weeks to get there from the east coast. I have done 4 moves to and from HI over the years, and the fastest transport I saw was 3 weeks, slowest was 6. Your mileage will vary of course.