• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Present/Prior Sub guys?

Cleonard19

Contributor
Is it worth it? I mean, i'm 10k upside down from the first car i had in the navy, which didn't go over well. So i'll be keeping it. I'm just trying to decide if I should ship it, or leave it here for my dad to drive.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Is it worth it? I mean, i'm 10k upside down from the first car i had in the navy, which didn't go over well. So i'll be keeping it. I'm just trying to decide if I should ship it, or leave it here for my dad to drive.
Yes, short answer.

1) You CAN get around on Ohau without a car, but you should take it, makes getting around easier.

2) There is parking on Pearl Sub base for you to put said car. Just don't expect to park it next to the sub on the pier like a certain 5 (or 10?!) year old recruiting commercial that the Navy used to run! :)

3) When you deploy, there are at least TWO car storage facilities ON ISLAND run by the military. One was on Ford Island, and if you plan ahead you can store it inside there for very cheap, turn off your insurance with USAA (or whatever company you use and save some $$) while deployed.

4) It would SUCK walking to and from the NEX/Commissary out the Makalapa gate while your car was stateside.

You don't have to decide immediately, you have one year from your transfer date to execute that entitlement. Mind you, I would not wait till the last day to plan for that. As always, when the move comes, ask these questions at your Peronal Property office.

Here is a PDF document (from the Army website) on shipping vehicles via the military and the VPCs (Vehicle Processing Centers).

DoD "Its your move"
https://www.smartwebmove.navsup.navy.mil/swm/
https://www.smartwebmove.navsup.navy.mil/swm/siteMap.jsp

Cleonard19

Contributor
Thanks Web-san. I had seen your thread on PCS'ing but it was a couple of years old. Didn't know if it was still applicable.

wplax26

Gold Club
pilot
None
Contributor
Ditto to everything recommended above. I'd like to re-emphasize the two of shower stuff ESPECIALLY towels and shower shoes. I was stuck without a towel for the last 4 days of an underway b/c someone saw fit to steal mine! A funny but useful tactic I and a few other guys used was to have the craziest, most unique towels and bedding that way if someone takes it, it'll be fairly obvious. I even had a pink towel for one deployment! ABSOLUTELY do NOT get caught playing games, watching movies on crews mess, or just goofing off in general until you get qual'd both watches and fish. Woe unto he that gets a reputation as a new guy of being lazy. No kidding about the tobacco as currency. Being a nuke there is a good chance you'll find a nice "puka" to hid some extra things away like candy and sodas. I had good luck with those for getting check outs as well as tobacco. If you haven't gotten any good heads up from guys on the boat, PM me. Also, keep your head up about your officer packages. It took me 4 tries and 6 years to get picked up. (I was also a dirty SPU, so they're probably right about that "proven performance at sea" business!) Best of luck.

Sinatra

ALOHA LAMPS
Don't hide your desire for a commission, but also don't give the impression that your time on the boat is a just temporary gig.

You obviously have the STA-21 and USNA application process committed to memory. Show up ready to qual. You will have plenty of interviews with your chief, divo, ENG, etc when you check in and in each interview you should mention that you have the desire of eventually becoming an officer.

Qual, qual, qual.... Anything related to your package should be completed on your own time (which is limited), but should not be secret.

Embrace the idea that you have the opportunity to join the ranks of the silent service.

I'm an SNA studying and flying to earn my wings. But, I wear my silver dolphins with pride, and will never forget what it meant to be a submariner.

Cleonard19

Contributor
How to address the COB?

Sorry for making a new thread instead of just adding to my current one, but i'm looking for a quick answer, as I need to send this E-mail in the next couple of hours as my boat is about to leave port on her deployment.

I was told to e-mail the COB. How should I address him in the email? He's a Senior Chief of an unknown rate.

I'm in such a rush because I managed to convince PSD to let me transfer next week, so I'm down to four business days to get my ducks in a row before detaching.

haubby

None
Contributor
No. Address him as the Chief of the Boat (COB). But why email him? Doesn't make sense. Contact the boat and get ahold of the LPO of your division. Use your Chain of Command.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
COB is a valid title via email, just like CMC.

There may be more than one Senior Chief on the Boat, but of course there is only one COB. It is a proud title, use it in the email. Identify yourself in the first sentence, and then the reason for the email. Show respect, proper punctuation, and close with Very Respectfully.

And all should be golden :)

Cleonard19

Contributor
No. Address him as the Chief of the Boat (COB). But why email him? Doesn't make sense. Contact the boat and get ahold of the LPO of your division. Use your Chain of Command.

I tried to. They are deployed on a WESTPAC, leaving port tonight/tomorrow morning depending on what part of the world you're currently in, and aren't scheduled to pull into another port for a couple of weeks. I report in a couple of weeks. I was told by a Master Chief at squadron to e-mail him. And then he gave me the number for the squadrons duty driver for when I report, and told me have a nice day (translation: its 1600, I should be going home, but i'm talking to you. Leave me alone).

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Boat may be at sea would be one possibility. The other is that the COB probably takes an active hand with all new check ins for the submarine, and through various avenues (A School, Squadron, Welcome Aboard Letter, etc) requests new check ins to contact him in addition to the existing sponsor program. Talking out loud here, could be other reasons. 15 years ago, I was told to call my COB prior to checking in while at BESS. He wanted to know how I was doing in school, when I was checking out, and he gave me an idea of what to expect for ships schedule.

Senior Enlisted Leadership can vary extensively in my experience observing many in action. The ones that are actively invloved at the deckplate level, and leading the Goat locker by example are worth their weight in gold.

Cleonard, I don't know the avenue by which you were instructed to do so, but it generally is a good thing to follow direction or suggestion, no? Seems like you are already on a good track, keep it respectful and to the point.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I tried to. They are deployed on a WESTPAC, leaving port tonight/tomorrow morning depending on what part of the world you're currently in, and aren't scheduled to pull into another port for a couple of weeks. I report in a couple of weeks. I was told by a Master Chief at squadron to e-mail him. And then he gave me the number for the squadrons duty driver for when I report, and told me have a nice day (translation: its 1600, I should be going home, but i'm talking to you. Leave me alone).
I would hazard a guess, mind you a GUESS... yeah, email your COB.... :) But I think you have that already figured out.

Cleonard19

Contributor
Thank you, Web-san. I sent it out as "Chief of the Boat."

Hopefully I get a sponsor before I detach. My primary concern is that I've been cold turkey out of nuclear power for four months now, and remember next to nothing. I know the specifics don't matter, but I'm grainy on even the basic concepts, and it'd be nice to get a feel for anything I should go look over BEFORE I detach, like RCFS or anything else like that. (After I detach, screw it, i'm on vacation.)

haubby

None
Contributor
Boat may be at sea would be one possibility. The other is that the COB probably takes an active hand with all new check ins for the submarine, and through various avenues (A School, Squadron, Welcome Aboard Letter, etc) requests new check ins to contact him in addition to the existing sponsor program. Talking out loud here, could be other reasons. 15 years ago, I was told to call my COB prior to checking in while at BESS. He wanted to know how I was doing in school, when I was checking out, and he gave me an idea of what to expect for ships schedule.

Senior Enlisted Leadership can vary extensively in my experience observing many in action. The ones that are actively invloved at the deckplate level, and leading the Goat locker by example are worth their weight in gold.

Cleonard, I don't know the avenue by which you were instructed to do so, but it generally is a good thing to follow direction or suggestion, no? Seems like you are already on a good track, keep it respectful and to the point.

Solid advice here and as Webmaster said experiences will vary. Personally I didn't talk to my COB or know who he was until I was doing my checkins but he was by far the best COB I've ever served under and I still try to emulate him to this day.