• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Practicing Procedures

Status
Not open for further replies.

flynavy83

Hi, I'm a Midshipman 4/C in NROTC trying to be prepared for flight school. I'm trying to practice emergency procedures for the T-34C to prepare for primary, and I don't have a mock-up the cockpit to "chair fly". Does anyone now where I could find a detailed picture of the front cockpit with the placement of controls labeled, or some gouge for the blind-folded CPT1? Thanks!

flynavy83

What? No harm in being ready. How better you think your chances of doing good in primary will be if you know the material ahead of time. I'm out to be the best. Period. That means getting the edge over the competition, like being a FAA VFR single-engine land pilot before hand. To answer you question Grandmaster235 I am serious. I can understand if that infomartion is on a need to know basis. I was just lookin' for a shortcut besides having to buy the whole NATOPS on the aircraft, which I already have for the F/A-18A/B/C/D Hornet. I'm probably one of few, if any, college freshman out there that know the pre-flight interior inspections procedures for the F/A-18 Hornet by memory (I'm humble about that though).

Grandmaster235

World's Greatest Pilot
Do you have a 4.0 after your first semester of college? Do you anticipate maintaining a 4.0 for the remaining three and a half years of school that lies ahead? Are you getting 8 hours of sleep per night? Do you have a steady flow of positive attention from females? A healthy social life otherwise? Do you have enough spending money to cover your wants/needs, including the flight time you mentioned?

If the answer to any of these questions is "no" then you don't have enough free time to study T-34 procedures IN YOUR FIRST YEAR OF COLLEGE.

Even in the unlikely event that the answer is "yes" to every one of the questions I asked above, how can you be sure that: a) you will be selected for flight school, and b) that if you are selected, you'll be flying the T-34 and not the T-37 or T-6??

The answer is that you can't be sure of either a) or b). The procedures are not so difficult that it takes FOUR YEARS to learn them. They're not difficult at all in fact. Many, many guys do just fine by learning them when it's time to do so. Your time is better spent now learning what you're supposed to learn in college (in and out of the classroom), and getting good grades so that you are competitive for aviation when the time comes.

tali264

hehe, g Grand, tell us how you really feel
icon_smile_wink.gif
I'm getting sick of trying to decipher your coded meanings - from now on just come out and say what you mean
tongue_125.gif
And don't hold back either
tapedshut_125.gif

splendid_splinter

HMLA flyer
flynavy83... look, everyone here understands your motivation. but, honestly, heed the advice of grand. enjoy your college life. it's fine if your hobby in your free time is reading natops, i guess. but don't take it too seriously because there's plenty of time to learn everything when you get here. try to build your knowledge about the military and aviation as a whole instead of memorizing sh!t that you could easily soon forget and have to memorize all over again.. trust me. i studied for the 'blind cockpit test' that you mentioned the night before, and got a five. granted cramming hasn't worked all the time and it's not my regular practice. but understand the point. there is a possibility you may get burned out. i know, i know. no way, right. i didn't think so either. but you will.

so, just go out and get some freshman punanny and be patient.. amazing. you want to be here already, and i would love to be back there with the money little babies..

flynavy83

Roger that. I didnt mean to come off as the sitting at my desk with my head in the books kinda person.
banghead_125.gif
Hell no!! Yes GRAND I have a GIRL [:D]and a REAL life, but I just thought it would hurt to be a leg up on the competition. Hell yeah, I live it up on my free time, and usually a little too much[:eek:]. Plus being 947 miles from her, and in a military college, I use it as something to pass the time.[:(!] Heck it beats the hell out of shining boots, low quarters, and ironing uniforms all day!! But FYI I did get a 4.0 my semester of college here in Mehcanical Enigineering, and was with dealing with all the rookdom crap and 4-5 hours of sleep a night. Plus I received the highest PNS score of any midshipman in my unit, and was the only freshman with a ranking position in the battalion. I'm no nerd or ass kisser, but more of a compuslive perfectionist in just about everytyhing worthwhile that I do, especially sports and flying.
I also know whether I get a pilot slot is highly unlikely. But given the circumstances of todays navy, the slot is gonna go to the person who wants it the most and work the hardest towards getting it. Am I right? I'm a strong believer that the ones that work their tales off, and exceed the standards of effort are the ones that get the good deals in the end. I also heard from several sources that the T-6 Texan IIs weren't rolling into Whiting and CC until somewhere around 2010. Don't qoute me on that, but I still might fly the Turbo Weenie after all. No offense to those fyling it now, that is just a nickname for the T-34 that I heard. Thanks for the advice yall, and I'll tone it down on the HOOYAHH FLY NAVY until its time. Cheers!!

ghost_ttu

"compuslive perfectionist in just about everytyhing " I just thought it was funny that you didn't spell compulsive correctly in the same sentence you discuss being a perfectionist. [:p]

Eliminate distractions, continuously work hard, vision what you hope to accomplish.

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
Flynavy83,

If you do get a SNA slot and do make it to primary, who says you'll be at CC or Whiting? You could go to one of the real nice AF bases. Esp. if you have that kind of flight time. Also the EP's, CPT's and sims change. THere are always updates. So, if you learn the EP's and such from todays books, I would be willing to bet that something will change. Same goes with the NATOP's. There are always changes and updates. As far as the F-18 info. Lets see 4 years of college and then another two yearsof API, primary and advanced.... I would be willing to bet that some things may change in the 6 plus years it will be before you could even be in an F-18. So....Stop looking to far ahead. Enjoy college. Trust me, the Navy gives you enough time to learn procedures for whatever you might end up flying. Also, I wouldnt go around, once and if you get into the pipeline, talking smack about knowing F-18 procedures. You will end up being ostracized by your peers.

Dave

Grandmaster235

World's Greatest Pilot
Originally posted by ghost_ttu"compuslive perfectionist in just about everytyhing " I just thought it was funny that you didn't spell compulsive correctly in the same sentence you discuss being a perfectionist. [:p]
Since when did this place turn into www.spellcheck.com? You should go bowling with Aimee.

Originally posted by flynavy83the slot is gonna go to the person who wants it the most and work the hardest towards getting it. Am I right?
Absolutely correct, and nice adjustment on the attitude. Sounds like you're on the right track. Just be aware that the selection board for flight school cares about your grades, and how you've done in your NROTC unit and other extracurriculars. They do not care how many T-34 or F-18 procedures you know. Focus your energies where it counts to give yourself the best chance at success.

<<tali264 says i love the dolphins>>

Aimee

Originally posted by Grandmaster235
Originally posted by ghost_ttu"compuslive perfectionist in just about everytyhing " I just thought it was funny that you didn't spell compulsive correctly in the same sentence you discuss being a perfectionist. [:p]
Since when did this place turn into www.spellcheck.com? You should go bowling with Aimee.

Originally posted by flynavy83the slot is gonna go to the person who wants it the most and work the hardest towards getting it. Am I right?
Absulutely correct, and nice adjustment on the attitude. Sounds like you're on the right track. Just be aware that the selection board for flight school cares about your grades, and how you've done in your NROTC unit and other extracurriculars. They do not care how many T-34 or F-18 procedures you know. Focus your energies where it counts to give yourself the best chance at success.

<<tali264 says i love the dolphins>>

Nice.

ghost_ttu

ok, but I suck at bowling. Fortunately they sell beer at the bowling alley [:D]

Eliminate distractions, continuously work hard, vision what you hope to accomplish.

ghost_ttu

I'm pretty good at that, but they don't sell beer there usually
icon_smile_sad.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.