• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Possible 44% reduction in student SNAs ans SNFOs?

BUDU

Not necessarily true. Once upon a time they thinned out the SNA and SNFO size by handing out colored cards to everyone in the VTs. All those with a certain color were dropped regardless of grades or where they were in the pipeline.

Well hey, nobody wants to work with unlucky people anyway.

AirGuy

I would think it means selecting fewer SNA/SNFO applications to decrease the volume going through flight school. Making students wait longer to class up is a waste of money in my opinion because you are basically paying people to just sit on their hands and wait. But if they want to cut the total number of people going through the pipeline they will just raise the minimum scores to continue training. It's been done before, not to long ago I believe.
That's what I heard the Navy does. So at least they will still give everyone a chance right. Just make higher standards in Primary / API?

The AF significantly cut pilot production back around '94,... and the ripple effect is just now ending.
And I heard from another AF pilot that they are now in trouble because of a shortage of pilots for certain platforms. Is this true?

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Have fun at the beach, SNAs and SNFOs!

Divorce "sense" from any discussion of budget matters.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
So it's 2004 all over again.

New 2013 NSS is 96%.....that'll cull the herd.

HuggyU2

None
And I heard from another AF pilot that they are now in trouble because of a shortage of pilots for certain platforms. Is this true?
I do not believe it is related to the cutback in pilot production in '94, but the AF is critically short of fighter pilots, and the numbers are continuing to get worse. They will not let fighter pilots apply to the U-2 for that reason. And since bomber pilots are being used to backfill some of the fighter-staff positions, bomber pilots cannot apply to the U-2 either.

707guy

"You can't make this shit up..."
I do not believe it is related to the cutback in pilot production in '94, but the AF is critically short of fighter pilots, and the numbers are continuing to get worse. They will not let fighter pilots apply to the U-2 for that reason. And since bomber pilots are being used to backfill some of the fighter-staff positions, bomber pilots cannot apply to the U-2 either.

So all "new" U-2 guys are cargo dudes? ;)