• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Plebe Hazing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Integer

Banned
Hello?

Somebody said:
Nothing wrong with being inquisitive... most people do have a problem when you use a lower base of knowledge (ie, book knowledge from 1997) to constantly correct and attack their higher base of knowledge (ie, actually being there 2004). This attitude will get you kicked in the junk, or at least punched, metaphorically of course. Well, at the very least people won't like you.

Through my limited navy experience I've found that I've learned the most from asking people further ahead of me questions. But I've never told someone "but the books says this... you're full of @#$@. And here's why: 1) The book says that the F-4 is the frontline fleet defence fighter, soon to be replaced by the F-14.... I don't know what this Super Hornet crap is you keep talking about" etc.

In closing, everyone has been in the position of not having experience. The difference is that they didn't act like Integer.

In the first page, I was attacking the FAULTY LOGIC of the arguments, not the ARGUMENTS THEMSELVES. People were giving examples of things that could have been representative of something else, as proof of something that wasn't even clearly defined. I wasn't agreeing or disagreeing.

That is until some evidence came up. A midshipman gave his own experiences to answer Ace's questions. (Not surprisingly to me, his words confirmed the research that I shared early in this thread.)

So we actually have some evidence (people's experiences), but how about defining what we are talking about? When we discuss changes in political correctness/hazing/punishments, what is the TIME PERIOD we are discussing? I gave my research about the Navy becoming more PC over a couple of hundred years, citing that drinking, for example, isn't tolerated any more at the USNA. For another example, I don't think Ace knew that, according to historians, the USNA is more squared away now than it has ever been.

I might not be in the service, but historians aren't either, and it doesn't take a seaman to study history. As for the past five years, I added even more questions into the mix once I learned that there might even have been changes in that time period, as well!

Integer

Banned
Another thing is this. If I have been actively reading stuff about the USNA from credible sources, I can still quote them. LEARNING DOES NOT PRECLUDE YOU FROM SHARING YOUR INFORMATION ONCE YOU HAVE ENOUGH TO SHARE. Ace he asked a question that I knew an answer to, and I gave my answer--which was confirmed by actual servicemen. Ace knows I am a candidate just like he is. What's the big whoop?

jdfairman

PHROGS 4EVER
Awwwww.... Did somebody get their widdle feewings hurt??? If you'll hold on for just a second, I'll run into the kitchen and make up a sugartit for you to suck on.

35_NSS

blah blah blah blah, somebody needs to put this thread to rest. Who the hell would want to go to the academy anyways?

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
Did anybody ever figure out what the hell a Pre-Appointee is???

sounds like wishful thinking to me...

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
Awww come on, he's not being arguementative.....he's just in high school and smarter than everyone else.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
My best guess is that pre-appointee is a self given term, as in, he doesn't have an appointment to boat school, but he's predicting it. If that's the case, I shall be "man of the year!"

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
In that case, from this point on, you shall refer to me as "People Magazines Sexiest Man of the Year"

/what was this thread about anyhow?

Integer

Banned
To answer another member's question, this thread was something about somebody else worried about hazing, I think.

Crowbar

None
Maybe if you would just tell everybody what a "pre-appointee" is, they would stop asking you. In all seriousness, I would like to know myself.

Side note for Marines: I was always entertained how people at CCU had to refer to themselves as "This awardee". Now that (CCU) is probably about as close to authorized hazing as you'll find these days. Does the Navy have a CCU (or equivalent)?

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I have momentarily lost some IQ points reading this thread

Yes, CCU (Correctional Custody Unit for those high school kids here who don't have the experience to know what the rest of us are talking about) is still used, and during my 18 months as Legal O (aka "Lawdawg") I sent (more accurately I facilitated the paperwork and the CO sent) a number of ppl to it. Still E3 and below, and is used as a "motivational" tool to re-engage first termers who forget why they are in the military. Sort of like boot camp "revisited", and is definitely NOT a joke. All the sailors we sent came back in a lot better shape and motivated, big thing was breaking them away from the bad peer group they had gotten themselves into. Anyone else ever see the "First 24 hours" leadership video? Always makes me think of that....

Ok, second thing. There are some new "sherriffs" in town, and have given a number of moderators control over this forum.

The website is here for people to ask questions and find answers. But where some of the new (read "young and inexperienced") members are running into difficulty, is that they are discounting the remarks of ppl that have put forth the sweat and tears to get where they are, and have the real world experience and knowledge to back up their claims. You will see me (14 years in, various communities from Diver to Submarine, etc) keep my trap shut about topics I know nothing about (TBS, OCS, Academy, Jet syllabus, etc...), in addition to showing respect and deferrence to those senior to me in both experience and knowledge (ea6bflyr, frumby, wink, rumorbuster and the list goes on). This is not to say that I won't drop in to give **** where its due, and defend the mighty "warpig" when appropriate (key word there is "appropriate").

Integer, I have reset your post count to zero since you won't take the time to answer multiple quotes in one post, in essence flooding a topic, I'll never get those 5 minutes of my life wasted as I scrolled through this thread... sigh....

We are here to help (honest) or we wouldn't be posting on here, and I wouldn't still be hosting this site. So, QA your posts, and watch how you come off in them.

Moderators, "fire for effect gridley!" as appropriate....

John

Status
Not open for further replies.