• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Plebe Hazing

Status
Not open for further replies.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
NozeMan said:
There's nothing like high schoolers discussing the values of American naval heroes....isnt' this a great country?

Here's a thought, don't get so caught up in one school etc that you miss out on the rest of your life. And what in the hell is a Pre-Appointee???

Wait, are you implying that experience trumps speculation/PR handouts? My friend, it's obvious you haven't paid much attention to this site. Here, it is the 9th grader who knows everything, not those who have been there done that, just like stash clowns who've never seen the outside of NASC can tell you exactly what is involved in Primary and beyond. I'm dissappointed in you, you should know better by now.

/sarcasm (if you couldn't tell)

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
35_NSS said:
hey all i know, is if you can't handle a little hazing, and heaven forbid a little yelling, how in the hell are you gonna handle combat, and if you don't want to go to combat, why the hell you joining the military

Not to threadjack, but...

If you want to go to combat in the literal sense, as in you think it'll be cool, I DON'T want you in the military. If being an adrenaline junkie is your kick, go get some tatoos, and go ride skateboards in the x-games.

That's an entirely different matter than wanting to go to combat because your buds are there and you picked the wrong time to take your B-billet. Wanting to share the load is one thing. Wanting to go for the sake of going is another, and this is from someone who's seen a couple bullets going the wrong direction.

Back to our previously scheduled rants...

Integer

Banned
I know everybody has different opinions on everything, and I'm just talking about people actually in the service, as well. There is not one correct attitude or perception even between people who are IN THE SERVICE. Instead of responding with reasoning and explanations on everybody's stance, we peck away at everybody's precise language usage for not being 100% PC. Also, we attack the people, not the arguments. (I don't know why you guys make it that I must be a ..middle schooler now? I forgot what I was, please remind me.) Opinions are like a-holes, everyone's got one. I just want to know as many as possible. A clash of opinion on hundreds of things, expressed in an orderly fashion, makes each participant smarter at the end of the day. I mean, each of us was raised in a different environment, place, community, era, financial situation, historical situation, whatever. However, we all think we are right on something, right? And there ARE ALWAYS reasons for why a person does one thing or another. Nobody just does something randomly. Everything we have ever done or thought at ALL points in time, we have thought or done because it was the BEST THING TO DO in that situation. (Even those who do something anti-social still thought stealing or whatever was the BEST THING TO DO in the short and long term consideration of things AT THAT POINT IN TIME. If that person could have come up with something better he could have done, he would have. My point is clearly that people who do things, whether they look stupid or regret those things they did later on, thought that what they did was the best thing they could do at the point in time.

And now, we can express our views on the Academy or the Navy and why we see it in the ways that we see it. Cause, hell, we don't see things in a way that we think makes us dumb. We all think we are smart the way we see things. So lets bring it out to the table and see how we are not so perfect. And we'll end up a lot of nice viewpoints thrown around, and about 50 posts later, we will feel closer knit and more educated about situations of OTHERS and not just OURSELVES.

Integer
This post is written with a lot of grammar mistakes to simulate an 5th grader's writing.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
He needs to condense it all into bold face. Even I can figure that out.

Sorry, been gone for a few days. Who said the thread went to hell, they were right.

35_NSS said:
AMERICAN ACE, ha, thats funny, what in the hell have you flown ace, i wouldn't even let you fly my 2$ kite. nice pic hypo

I fly Cessnas. Not an F-15, but what the hell did you fly when you were 18? And 'American Ace' beat the hell out of anything else I could find, like Flyboy15654390@$1.

And on a different note-
Oh for Chrissakes, I'm definitely not afraid of the yelling and stress! Didn't the ' :icon_rage ' in my first post indicate that I was unhappy that they abolished the doolie-year at USAFA?! I just wanted to know how the other academies compared and I wanted to start a discussion that would benefit others who are trying to get in USNA.

Ok. Now that we have an understanding, I can sum everything up. Hazing is gone because it was retarded to begin with, the yelling is not as prevalent at the academy, but ass-chewings are (and they are not fun even when there isn't any yelling), McCain was a drunken hooligan, and the USNA focuses more on actual leadership than 'do what the &%^$ I say smack, or I'll bludgeon you with a rifle then give oyu ten demerits.' This is what I've gathered, is it correct?

Integer

Banned
Ace - exactly.

To some others:

Your experience--we'll all have it by joining the navy in some form. WOopdy doo :) It's the stupidest thing to shove in people's faces when it's not something someone has control over, just like genetics aren't controlled, either. Go up to any person, military or civilian, and tell them, out of context just like here, that you are better because you have more experience in the military. In all possible outcomes of this, you will be laughed at. It's even more lame especially since you mention experience and not the actual experiences. Several people posted just to say how more experienced they are, completely out of context. Lol. That is funny :)

Integer

Banned
Ace, don't stop asking questions. Some WISH they were as inquisitive, because wanting to learn is not a quality every person has, and they know you are a learner when they see your posts, so they put you down. The military is probably representative of the civilian population, so we won't let one person discourage us!

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
As Thisguy put it, this thread HAS gone straight to hell. Asking a few questions is fine, but there's no reason to get all touchy feely about something that offends you. Integer, how the hell do you even survive high school like this?

ET-Mike

A-Pool Junkie
What in the hell is going on here? Surely, this whole thread is a joke. No one yells at you??? Is that what I am hearing?? I went to bootcamp in '99 and got my ass chewed. Some guys would pi$$ themselves, literally. Just like 'this guy' says, it is training. If you can't deal with some dude in your grill eating you alive, how are you going to be able to handle the stress of being underfire, or being out at sea making snap deicisions. Man up, if you want to do it, do it, if not get out of my way. You guys are getting an unbelievable opportunity thrown in your lap and you are 'worried about getting yelled at'??? I know hundreds of people that would lie, cheat, and steal to get where you are at, pre-appointee or not.

Another thing, Big Perm, sorry, Big Worm hit it on the head. There is nothing scary or intimidating about some pimply egotistical kid yelling at you. Get a RDC or a DI who is saltier than a country ham telling you what a little kid you are and you don't need to waste his time. Then, and only then, I will listen to what you have to say. We learn through experience, therefore, if you don't have the experience, don't try to tell us about it.

That is all, carry on.

Dawgfan

Pending
pilot
Nothing wrong with being inquisitive... most people do have a problem when you use a lower base of knowledge (ie, book knowledge from 1997) to constantly correct and attack their higher base of knowledge (ie, actually being there 2004). This attitude will get you kicked in the junk, or at least punched, metaphorically of course. Well, at the very least people won't like you.

Through my limited navy experience I've found that I've learned the most from asking people further ahead of me questions. But I've never told someone "but the books says this... you're full of @#$@. And here's why: 1) The book says that the F-4 is the frontline fleet defence fighter, soon to be replaced by the F-14.... I don't know what this Super Hornet crap is you keep talking about" etc.

In closing, everyone has been in the position of not having experience. The difference is that they didn't act like Integer.

HerrLURP

Nobody said people don't yell at you here. I'm just saying the old school days of upperclassmen tormenting and torturing plebes is over...ie no more making plebes warm up the toilet seat for you, no more, "hanging out," or, "shower detail," etc. etc. No more extreme food deprivation (one study found that over half of one plebe class was severely malnourished.) No more raking leaves in snow, no more of that senseless hazing.

Yelling, yes there are plenty of angry Marine/Navy officers who will chew you out, or tell you with a straight face that they want you out of the Academy. If you can't hack it here, or if your performance sucks, people will give you the cold shoulder and that in itself is worse than hazing.

ET-Mike

A-Pool Junkie
I don't know if a cold shoulder is worse than hazing, but I could see how that could make you feel. That is the whole point of "hazing" if you ask me. Beating people up and doing stupid things like that should be left for SEAR school. Whenever you are "hazed", and I use that term loosely, like it or not you become part of a group. Either you feel closer to your peers who are also being hazed or you idolize the "hazer" for making you warm up his toilet, it is a right of passage wigwom which you will soon learn. Go in there with the attitude I see some of you have, I dare you. The point of "hazing" is to de-civilanize you. If you don't like it, go work at McDonald's. No one is asking you to sign up. When you become an upperclassmen you can change things for what you see is the better. Until then, go get me some relative bearing grease.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Integer said:
Ace - exactly.

To some others:

Your experience--we'll all have it by joining the navy in some form. WOopdy doo :) It's the stupidest thing to shove in people's faces when it's not something someone has control over, just like genetics aren't controlled, either. Go up to any person, military or civilian, and tell them, out of context just like here, that you are better because you have more experience in the military. In all possible outcomes of this, you will be laughed at. It's even more lame especially since you mention experience and not the actual experiences. Several people posted just to say how more experienced they are, completely out of context. Lol. That is funny :)

Wasn't the point of this thread to ask people who have experience about hazing at Annapolis? A friendly note, if you keep saying stuff like this people are not going to take you seriously. You have no first hand experience with the military and many people on this board have a vast amount of experience in the service. Does that make them better than you? No, but it does make them wiser when it comes to the most of the subjects on this board, including this one.

Some of the best advice I got when I first started out in the military was to "become a fly on the wall, watch listen and learn", this advice might serve you well.

Status
Not open for further replies.