• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Please tell me I'm not crazy...

Speedy3

It was also my understanding that you couldn't have PRK after getting a pro-rec, unless you got the ok from the chain of command (your recruiter, his superiors, etc.) Again, just talking from personal experience....

If my eyesight was as good as my hindsight, I wouldn't need the procedure.

The very first day I walked into my recruiter's office to find out about becoming a Naval Aviator, the first thing I told him was that I could not pay for the surgery unless I was already accepted into the program. He agreed that it was up to me and we could do MEPS after pro rec.

I should have done it before, but not knowing if spending the money was going to benefit me I was not ready to cross that bridge. However, now I realize that I have to wait 3-6 months to sign my life away and start getting paid. It sucks but that's the way it is.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Thankfully, I was pro rec'd SNA BDCP during the May boards. Here is my dilemma though. I opted to wait for the results before committing to PRK. I've been away from college for almost a year now working as a flight instructor EXTRA full time. To be on track with my graduation plan, I also started taking classes this summer, so my week looks like 12-13 hr days. I usually can swing Sunday off though! To make matters worse I really can't pay bills unless I'm working. There's definitely no chance in hell that I could continue to live for the 3-6 months I'm being told I might have to wait after the surgery to start getting that sweet sweet BDCP check.

I'm scheduled to have the PRK done next week Thursday.....I plan on going back to work/school the following monday. Is there even a glimmer of hope that I'll be back to at least 80% after those 3 days? Please someone tell me I'm not crazy.

I've never had PRK, but 3 minutes of research on peoples' experiences can give you the following answer to the bolded above:

"You're crazy".

Speedy3

I've never had PRK, but 3 minutes of research on peoples' experiences can give you the following answer to the bolded above:

"You're crazy".

Yeah yeah I did the research....argh. I've got a road trip planned on the day after too (I won't be the one driving of course) just to get some stuff done that I've been putting off because I've been so busy at work. Here's to hoping I don't kill myself during the post-op days...

nugget61

pilot
If my eyesight was as good as my hindsight, I wouldn't need the procedure.

The very first day I walked into my recruiter's office to find out about becoming a Naval Aviator, the first thing I told him was that I could not pay for the surgery unless I was already accepted into the program. He agreed that it was up to me and we could do MEPS after pro rec.

I should have done it before, but not knowing if spending the money was going to benefit me I was not ready to cross that bridge. However, now I realize that I have to wait 3-6 months to sign my life away and start getting paid. It sucks but that's the way it is.

Yeah yeah I did the research....argh. I've got a road trip planned on the day after too (I won't be the one driving of course) just to get some stuff done that I've been putting off because I've been so busy at work. Here's to hoping I don't kill myself during the post-op days...

It sounds from your first posts that you have the idea that you're going to get BDCP money as soon as you can see 20/20 - you won't collect a check (or final select) till ~7 months after the surgery. Now if you're 20/40 each eye at MEPS, then this is all for naught, but it sounds like you know you're not going to make it. Therefore MEPS will be a waste of a day that sounds like you can't afford.
I wouldn't have flown 4 days post op, but I was driving at night. I was 20/40 or better at that point, and thats all the state says you need to drive. Probably setting a bad example for a student, not to mention that you'll be light blinded.
Also keep in mind that you can finance the surgery, so don't think that you'll have to pay for it all on the day its done.
And finally, bring a towel to put over your head during the drive in case you're light sensitive at that point (probably won't be, but you will need the refresh (saline) drops then).

torpedo0126

no way. you will need to wait at least a week or even better two. results may vary, but your vision will probably be in the 20/40 to 20/60 range for several weeks post op. not to mention seeing shadows, or "double." i wouldn't go back to work until you can see well enough to spot traffic.

Also, if you are anything like me, I needed moisture drops for a long time after the surgery. I was rewetting ALL the time within 2-3 weeks after the surgery.

If you are of a lower diopter, you will probably be seeing 20/20 they day after the surgery. However, this is after they've put in painkillers to check your eyes. Once that wears off, you won't want to open them for awhile.

When they take the bandage contact off, its essentially like exposing a raw wound. The wound has not healed yet and it will feel irritated.

~98% of your healing will take place in two weeks. Its that last 2% or so that takes the full month - 9 months of healing to stabilize.

However, the odds are very good you will correct to better than 20/20.

Good luck.

torpedo0126

I am not a doctor, nor your doctor, but I would highly recommend against that. These are your eyes, and possibly a critical element to your career.

Just like being sick, R&R is going to make the healing process better. Stressing yourself out with work and stuff isn't going to help. Lay around, listen to radio baseball, and relax.

srqwho

pilot

If you're planning on doing any sightseeing during said road trip be sure to have your company bring a good camcorder and camera to document what you will more than likely be squinting at... cursing and frustrated.

Seriously, I was wearing sunglasses inside with the blinds closed in every room of the house the day after.

Speedy3

Also, if you are anything like me, I needed moisture drops for a long time after the surgery. I was rewetting ALL the time within 2-3 weeks after the surgery.

If you are of a lower diopter, you will probably be seeing 20/20 they day after the surgery. However, this is after they've put in painkillers to check your eyes. Once that wears off, you won't want to open them for awhile.

When they take the bandage contact off, its essentially like exposing a raw wound. The wound has not healed yet and it will feel irritated.

~98% of your healing will take place in two weeks. Its that last 2% or so that takes the full month - 9 months of healing to stabilize.

However, the odds are very good you will correct to better than 20/20.

Good luck.

Thanks dude, I'm looking forward to getting the process moving:D I'll update like others have on the days after

Speedy3

If you're planning on doing any sightseeing during said road trip be sure to have your company bring a good camcorder and camera to document what you will more than likely be squinting at... cursing and frustrated.

Seriously, I was wearing sunglasses inside with the blinds closed in every room of the house the day after.

Sounds like a great reason to get some new Sharks or Arnettes:icon_tong No matter how broke I am, there's always money for a good pair of shades......ahem, I mean for medical reasons of course

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
Sounds like a great reason to get some new Sharks or Arnettes:icon_tong No matter how broke I am, there's always money for a good pair of shades......ahem, I mean for medical reasons of course

If you are lucky they will just give you some that will defy all sense of fashion and block out the better portion of the sun. Gollum, Gollum!

Wait, you're taking a road trip, but have niether the cash nor time to take off for PRK? :confused: They have payment plans for the surgery ususally.

Speedy3

If you are lucky they will just give you some that will defy all sense of fashion and block out the better portion of the sun. Gollum, Gollum!

Wait, you're taking a road trip, but have niether the cash nor time to take off for PRK? :confused: They have payment plans for the surgery ususally.

Here's the deal on the road trip. I bought a car recently in Louisiana where I work and go to school. I'm a Florida resident though and would like to remain so. So I have to drive to FL to get the license plate for the car that I can't drive around...Not gonna be a very fun trip, but I've had the vehicle for almost a month now.

BUDU

You should feel great about it! To be sure that pilot and NFO selects are prepared for it, the morning PT at OCS will now include jazzercise as a part of the dynamic warm-up routine (DI led I believe). Get some!:D

I've resolved to make damn sure I don't let it slip to the DI at OCS that I majored in theatre...and also took several dance classes... :watching2

blarged

ready
I've resolved to make damn sure I don't let it slip to the DI at OCS that I majored in theatre...and also took several dance classes... :watching2

hah, i quoted it so when you get your date and realize everyone will be able to see your old posts, you can't edit it out :icon_wink ...

sundevil_av8r

pilot

a road trip is not a good idea. the day after is the worse. your eyes are going to feel like someone put jalapeno juice in them and rubbed them with sandpaper. prk is not like lasik, you can't just go back to normal life the day after. i went home with a prescription for sleeping pills and pain killers which i used all weekend...

i would make other arrangements for the car registration.