• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Please tell me I'm not crazy...

Speedy3

Thankfully, I was pro rec'd SNA BDCP during the May boards. Here is my dilemma though. I opted to wait for the results before committing to PRK. I've been away from college for almost a year now working as a flight instructor EXTRA full time. To be on track with my graduation plan, I also started taking classes this summer, so my week looks like 12-13 hr days. I usually can swing Sunday off though! To make matters worse I really can't pay bills unless I'm working. There's definitely no chance in hell that I could continue to live for the 3-6 months I'm being told I might have to wait after the surgery to start getting that sweet sweet BDCP check.

I'm scheduled to have the PRK done next week Thursday.....I plan on going back to work/school the following monday. Is there even a glimmer of hope that I'll be back to at least 80% after those 3 days? Please someone tell me I'm not crazy.

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
Thankfully, I was pro rec'd SNA BDCP during the May boards. Here is my dilemma though. I opted to wait for the results before committing to PRK. I've been away from college for almost a year now working as a flight instructor EXTRA full time. To be on track with my graduation plan, I also started taking classes this summer, so my week looks like 12-13 hr days. I usually can swing Sunday off though! To make matters worse I really can't pay bills unless I'm working. There's definitely no chance in hell that I could continue to live for the 3-6 months I'm being told I might have to wait after the surgery to start getting that sweet sweet BDCP check.

I'm scheduled to have the PRK done next week Thursday.....I plan on going back to work/school the following monday. Is there even a glimmer of hope that I'll be back to at least 80% after those 3 days? Please someone tell me I'm not crazy.

huh? The dilemma is where? Missing the fourth day or work? It's not like you'll be down for the count for three months?

Or are you talking about the waiver? (I believe more like six months given how long you will be takng 'roids for the eyes)

I burned on a Thursday, was more or less done with the pain drops on Sunday, but still wearing my "Ray" sunglasses everywhere I went for about week. After a week one night I could suddenly, "see everything!" Then Dr. took the protective contacts out and I could not see much of anything for a week (wasn't driving in this period; I live on campus).

A year later I'm 20/15. YMMV

Speedy3

huh? The dilemma is where? Missing the fourth day or work? It's not like you'll be down for the count for three months?

Or are you talking about the waiver? (I believe more like six months given how long you will be takng 'roids for the eyes)

I burned on a Thursday, was more or less done with the pain drops on Sunday, but still wearing my "Ray" sunglasses everywhere I went for about week. After a week one night I could suddenly, "see everything!" Then Dr. took the protective contacts out and I could not see much of anything for a week (wasn't driving in this period; I live on campus).

A year later I'm 20/15. YMMV

So you think I'll be able to fly on Monday?

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor

A week and a half after my surgery, I took a midterm, most of which required looking at .0 - .00mm scale grains under a hand lense and identifying rocks.

I failed; I could barely get my eyes to focus on the questions.

I would not be surprised if you are unable to fly, but a doctor will probaby know more.

srqwho

pilot

Not trying to be Mr. Negative, but I wasn't comfortable watching TV for about a week let alone driving/flying. I had a pretty bad prescription prior to going under the laser so maybe my recovery was worse b/c of that, but I don't know for sure. I'd say it's a bad idea, based on my experience, to go fly a couple/3 days post-op.

On a more positive note, I had my NOMI physical at pcola today and got my up-chit. I tested 20/20 in both eyes and had zero issues with depth or pressure. I also impressed the flight surgeons during the modern dance portion of the physical (now required of all aviators). They also added a written exam on material taken from Iron Eagle 1, 2, and Starship Troopers.

Junkball

"I believe in ammunition"
pilot
Not a chance. Give yourself at least a few weeks if not months before you start flying. I don't think the FAA mandates an exact post-op time for when you can start flying, only when your eye doc signs off and notifies the FAA or something like that.

BUDU

I also impressed the flight surgeons during the modern dance portion of the physical (now required of all aviators).

There's a part of me that's actually hoping you're not joking. I'm not sure how I feel about that.

jtmedli

pilot

Take it from someone who has had the surgery multiple times...You will be specifically told NOT to drive a vehicle (this includes flying) until the doctor clears you to and removes the contact lens bandage. Do not plan on going back to work until he clears you to do so. Just take the week off and pick up shifts later.

I am also a pilot so I can tell you. No you will not be able to fly until 2 weeks (maybe 3-4) after the surgery when your vision starts to focus in on 20/20. Just take it easy and let the eyes heal.

srqwho

pilot
There's a part of me that's actually hoping you're not joking. I'm not sure how I feel about that.

You should feel great about it! To be sure that pilot and NFO selects are prepared for it, the morning PT at OCS will now include jazzercise as a part of the dynamic warm-up routine (DI led I believe). Get some!:D

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
On a more positive note, I had my NOMI physical at pcola today and got my up-chit. I tested 20/20 in both eyes and had zero issues with depth or pressure. I also impressed the flight surgeons during the modern dance portion of the physical (now required of all aviators). They also added a written exam on material taken from Iron Eagle 1, 2, and Starship Troopers.

You should feel great about it! To be sure that pilot and NFO selects are prepared for it, the morning PT at OCS will now include jazzercise as a part of the dynamic warm-up routine (DI led I believe). Get some!:D

But are you prepared for the newly added swim tests (influenced by Air Force practice)? At least each class gets to pick their own outfits. Don't worry, you'll likely be pooled (noi pun intended) before or after IFS so you can practice.

SynchronizedSwimming.jpg

NOT a HJ image

sundevil_av8r

pilot

no way. you will need to wait at least a week or even better two. results may vary, but your vision will probably be in the 20/40 to 20/60 range for several weeks post op. not to mention seeing shadows, or "double." i wouldn't go back to work until you can see well enough to spot traffic.

Speedy3

Take it from someone who has had the surgery multiple times...You will be specifically told NOT to drive a vehicle (this includes flying) until the doctor clears you to and removes the contact lens bandage. Do not plan on going back to work until he clears you to do so. Just take the week off and pick up shifts later.

I am also a pilot so I can tell you. No you will not be able to fly until 2 weeks (maybe 3-4) after the surgery when your vision starts to focus in on 20/20. Just take it easy and let the eyes heal.

Man, you guys are determined to depress the hell out of me. I was pretty wary myself until at my first appointment with the doc, he pretty much said I'd be back and better than ever in no time.

I can't exactly afford to take the time off. Maybe I just have a whole bunch of ground instruction in my near future (hooray?). Nevertheless, it would just be great if the Navy decided that because I'm just such a damn nice guy, they'd like to start paying me now.

In another note, my wife just got a great position at the marriott, so I'm thankful for that. (I knew 4 yrs at UCF Hospitality Managment college wasn't worthless for her....even if it is just an hourly position)

Speedy3

Not a chance. Give yourself at least a few weeks if not months before you start flying. I don't think the FAA mandates an exact post-op time for when you can start flying, only when your eye doc signs off and notifies the FAA or something like that.

Because its an elective procedure, I don't have to notify the Feds....at least that's how I understand the rule and I'm sticking to it...;) Of course I'm trying not to let me eagerness to get back to work get in the way of good decision making...

Stupid better judgment.

nugget81

pilot
Because its an elective procedure, I don't have to notify the Feds....at least that's how I understand the rule and I'm sticking to it...;)

Well yes and no. The real question becomes whether or not your FAA Medical Certificate is good any longer because you've had the procedure. Does your cert. say "must wear corrective lenses"? What happens if you have PRK, don't tell the FAA and get into some sort of incident? I personally did not fly again until after I filed my paperwork with the FAA stating that I had PRK and no longer needed corrective lenses (about a month). I kept a copy of that paperwork with my medical certificate just in case.

It was also my understanding that you couldn't have PRK after getting a pro-rec, unless you got the ok from the chain of command (your recruiter, his superiors, etc.) Again, just talking from personal experience....