• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Platform Smack Talk Forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

46Driver

"It's a mother beautiful bridge, and it's gon
How did they explain High DA ops? When you have a Chinook's weight and a smaller, less efficient prop-rotor, I am just going to have to see it for myself. What did they say about rotor-wash and brown-out in desert NVG ops? Also, did they have an answer for operating in an urban terrain without guns for suppression? Finally, how are they going to do split-ARG operations (i.e., how many V-22's can you fit on an LPD?)

BigWorm

Marine Aviator
pilot
The first questions are above my head. They showed us a slide of a M3 .50 cal, 1150 RPM HE, mounted out the back of an Osprey. They also spoke of playing around with mounting some sort of cannon on the front, under the belly, supposedly the money for a gun was lost to something else in one of those political type debates. In short, the answer was that they haven’t figured it out. This video gives a better idea of how it compacts for ship use. They also showed us a video of how quick it can fold up.
http://www.boeing.com/rotorcraft/military/v22/seavideo.htm

1devildoc

Let me get this straight, you can eith select coast or platform, not both? When do these selections take place?

46Driver

"It's a mother beautiful bridge, and it's gon
Bigworm,
Another issue (in addition to the cost) of a turret gun is weight. The Osprey is already overweight and they are trying every conceivable measure to reduce weight (that is one of the reasons for the 5000 PSI, titanium line hydraulic system - most aircraft operate at roughly 3000 PSI). The last thing the Osprey needs is more weight.... I am waiting to hear what PhrogDriver says - if he is convinced then that is a good sign the MV-22 might have turned the corner.

1DevilDoc,
As for selection in advanced helos, you are given a dream sheet in which you rank your choices from 1 to 10. They are (in no particular order): 53E's East, 46's East, Cobras East, Hueys East, 53E's West, 46's West, Cobras West, Hueys West, 53D's Hawaii, and 46's Okinawa. The slots available for a given winging are sent down from the company grade helo monitor at HQMC and given to the USMC student control officers at HT-8 and HT-18. The students are ranked based upon the grades and then the dream sheets are looked at. Generally, it goes straight down the list (SNA with the best grades to SNA with the bottom grades) but occasionally we switch things around so that everybody comes close to getting something in their top 3 instead of a few bubbas getting their 1st choice and others getting their 9th or 10th. With Marines, it is generally pretty easy because the students either want transports (46's or 53's) or skids (AH or UH) or they want coast (they will list west coast down the line or east coast down the line) and we have enough wild cards that want to go to Hawaii or Okinawa that they really aren't forced on anyone. Its a good system and handled right there on the squadron level. Hope this helps.

PS: There is no way to "game the system" because even the student control officers don't know what slots they are going to have available on any given winging.

BigWorm

Marine Aviator
pilot
I just wanted to say thanx for all the advice. It is hard to describe the emotional experience of going through the training. It was a lot like having a psychotic girlfriend – sex is good and you are on top of the world, and then 5 min later she drives you into a sinkhole and you hate life.
For all the other devil dogs about to embark on the journey, don’t worry about selecting anything specific. No matter what the CO said, I would have been happy – once you master the T-34C, then you can realize what flying is all about. Going through OCS, all you know is about some machine up there that hurts your ears – wait till you make it through before you stress about anything. Just my $0.02 as I depart primary.
Cheers,
Andy

rare21

pilot
Contributor
he's got the jets, damn bigworm you started api just a few weeks before me and you've selected. i still gots tons of primary crap to do. Whiting's got some fast movers!

onasty

hey big worm, congrats on selecting the BLIMP!!!! I KNOW YOUR GONNA BE THE BEST BLIMP PILOT IN THE FLEET. OR WAS IT THE UAV YOU SELECTED?

BigWorm

Marine Aviator
pilot
Uhh Oh…Watch out for flyin bugers – the gorilla named butch is out of his cage. No way man, I was selected for a new test program. I’ll be working with the UAB (unmanned aerial blimp). Go ahead and have fun in your 45, everybody knows chicks dig blimps.

BigWorm

Marine Aviator
pilot
I see we got jokes. I thought you were a Marine man, shouldn’t you be at the Ramada in Jackson? What are you doing in the Q on the net on a Fri night?

towbubba

boot 46 pilot
BigWorm said:
Uhh Oh…Watch out for flyin bugers – the gorilla named butch is out of his cage. No way man, I was selected for a new test program. I’ll be working with the UAB (unmanned aerial blimp). Go ahead and have fun in your 45, everybody knows chicks dig blimps.
UAB don't they call that a weather balloon? :icon_smil

Status
Not open for further replies.