• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Place your bets!

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
OK. You're free to think that, but again, nobody here is saying that.

That’s literally the only actual example used in the article and in this thread. The rest of the article was vague generalities.

I’m not saying it, you did as well as the author in the article.

jmcquate

Contributor
The mission/budget reviews for 4th estate agencies (aka "night court") time line has been compressed quite a bit. OSD seems to be under some urgency to cut the DoD budget

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
That’s literally the only actual example used in the article and in this thread. The rest of the article was vague generalities.

I’m not saying it, you did as well as the author in the article.
Let's review...

Chaplains were brought up as an example.
I said, let's look for efficiencies in places we may not need as many Chaplains.
You said, I don't agree that we should get rid of all Chaplains.
I said, I never said all Chaplains.
You said, Chaplains were brought up in the article!
You said, reducing the size of the Chaplaincy is NOT the most cost effective way to save money.
I said, nobody said it was the most cost effective... it's just an example.
You said, I'd like to reiterate that getting rid of Chaplains is a bad idea.
I said, AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

Jesus fucking Christ, dude.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor

I will say it. I've spent 11 years in the military and I've now transitioned to the ANG. Not once did I think the chaplains did anything of value.

They're a holdover from an antiquated model and have no place in the modern government structure. We're supposed to be agnostic to this shit- but then I get told to bow my head at an official government function. Fuck that, my morality is not beholden to some fucked up belief that the afterlife is what will punish or absolve me. And I really do not think it's appropriate to make everyone else listen to the bullshit either.

Read from the Constitution and keep your voodoo mythology to yourself. Spend the money on what really matters.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
I think mental health services for all family members would be a much more useful program to fund than religious services.

we need to get out of the business of funding church services and get into the business of taking care of our military members and families.
Finding quality mental health resources for spouses and children is damn near impossible. Wait times for psychiatrists and psychologists range into months, even with a wife who was hospitalized with a suicide attempt.
Don't forget that someone with the training of an EMT and who is friends with most of your subordinates needs to write the referral to behavioral health.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I will say it. I've spent 11 years in the military and I've now transitioned to the ANG. Not once did I think the chaplains did anything of value.

They're a holdover from an antiquated model and have no place in the modern government structure. We're supposed to be agnostic to this shit- but then I get told to bow my head at an official government function. Fuck that, my morality is not beholden to some fucked up belief that the afterlife is what will punish or absolve me. And I really do not think it's appropriate to make everyone else listen to the bullshit either.

Read from the Constitution and keep your voodoo mythology to yourself. Spend the money on what really matters.
I'm as ardent an atheist as you'll find, but I'm not on a mission to root out Christianity from people's lives just because they serve. I don't mind the various religious invocations/benedictions, as most people probably connect to stuff like that. On the other hand, I do not tolerate any religious moralizing or proselytizing at work. I also asked the Chaps at my Change of Command to tone it down and keep it very general, which she was happy to do.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
What are you talking about?
Maybe it's unique to small commands but...

The 'doc' (I hate calling him that) HM1/HMC has to refer the member to behavioral health if they want to get the service. One cannot simply call 1-888-navymed and set up an appointment on the down low.

This is most commonly done at the direction of the CO, so you can imagine the stigma even if it's not leadership seeking the service.

And then the service member has to hope that their clearance isn't pulled because mental health treatment is reportable.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
I'm as ardent an atheist as you'll find, but I'm not on a mission to root out Christianity from people's lives just because they serve. I don't mind the various religious invocations/benedictions, as most people probably connect to stuff like that. On the other hand, I do not tolerate any religious moralizing or proselytizing at work. I also asked the Chaps at my Change of Command to tone it down and keep it very general, which she was happy to do.

Sure. But the fact that you had to have a chaps at your change of command just seems, out of place. Why? And why not have an out in town pastor from whomever's congregation deliver it?

I tend to AW when drinking, as is evident of my last few posts, so there's that.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Sure. But the fact that you had to have a chaps at your change of command just seems, out of place. Why? And why not have an out in town pastor from whomever's congregation deliver it?

I tend to AW when drinking, as is evident of my last few posts, so there's that.
I didn't have to, but it is tradition. Nobody would have made a fuss if I hadn't. I did think about whether or not I should have one, but in the end, it's not about me. It's about the Sailors and the institutional traditions, which is part of why we have CoC ceremonies in the first place.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Maybe it's unique to small commands but...

The 'doc' (I hate calling him that) HM1/HMC has to refer the member to behavioral health if they want to get the service. One cannot simply call 1-888-navymed and set up an appointment on the down low.

This is most commonly done at the direction of the CO, so you can imagine the stigma even if it's not leadership seeking the service.

And then the service member has to hope that their clearance isn't pulled because mental health treatment is reportable.
Must be unique to your platform. I would never involve the Corpsman in something like that. I go VFR direct to the shrink to make that happen.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
Moving away from Chaplains exclusively and thinking about how to save money and be more efficient:

1. Move CRUDES away from 4th Fleet and make it primarily LCS. LCS probably doesn't belong anywhere where there is vast ocean space in waters that could easily become contested and the suck on log ships is big enough already without having to refuel these guys every 3-5 days, AKA 7th Fleet and probably 6th fleet. So, keep them in 4th and maybe 5th Fleet. Free up CRUDES to go where they are really needed for their highest end capabilities.

2. Trim staffs, but don't just replace with contractors - I have a hard time thinking it's always more cost effective. Some things certainly, but others eh. For those suggesting the JAG corps being cut - maybe reduced in rank structure at the highest tiers, but I think that JAGs coming in as JGs or LTs makes sense given their professional credentials and the need to recruit at at least comparable pay levels. I've also never been to a JAG Office that wasn't busy with a combination of will appointments, divorce problems, or legal issues. The JAG offices always just seems overcrowded in terms of customers and the Sailors who aren't actually LNs but are there on LIMDU or are pregnant, but never enough actual JAGs. With that said, it does seem like replacing some of those LNs with actual paralegals who can provide more assistance than just the administrative assistance ("fill out these forms and then wait in that line...") would be helpful.

3. If we really want to cut costs, we need to reduce missions. We have too many missions for not enough ships. Too many missions creates administrative bloat, which causes staffs to bloat, etc. etc., - it just adds costs at every single level. Someone needs to tell Congress this.

4. Cut parts of the CONUS commissary system, at least in major areas: San Diego, Norfolk, Jax, etc. Provide a COLA adjustment or pad BAS for areas sans commissary.
4.A. Speaking of BAS: make it equal for all ranks. By definition it is supposed to be the amount able to feed solely the servicememeber each month. Why is it higher for enlisted than officers? At the same token: make what we pay on the ship = pro-rated portions of BAS, instead of charging more per month than what BAS is.

5. Longer term: reduce PCSs/career paths that require people to move constantly, especially in the lower ranks. Don't have A & C Schools at places that almost no Sailors will end up stationed at (i.e.: Meridian and Pensacola).

6. 100% in favor of reducing what billets are Admirals... I'd have to do some more research, but come on, does Protocol really need an Admiral?

7. Splitting up commands to make more O-5 and O-6 "command" billets is ridiculous. I'm looking at you IW, primarily, but certainly others are guilty to. IW is just the most recent offenders. SWO will be as they get out of the Cruiser business longer term.

More to come if I have time...

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Let's review...

Chaplains were brought up as an example.
I said, let's look for efficiencies in places we may not need as many Chaplains.
You said, I don't agree that we should get rid of all Chaplains.
You said, Chaplains were brought up in the article!
You said, reducing the size of the Chaplaincy is NOT the most cost effective way to save money.
I said, nobody said it was the most cost effective... it's just an example.
You said, I'd like to reiterate that getting rid of Chaplains is a bad idea.
I said, AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

DoN doesn't have to have the clergy on the payroll for Sailors to use them

Condescend much? Stop being a fucking dick.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Condescend much? Stop being a fucking dick.
Lighten up, Francis. That post was hilarious. The funny part is that I can tell from the post of mine you just quoted that you still don't understand what I'm talking about.

C'est la vie.