• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Pilot Training & Squadron Bars

Ventus

Weather Guesser
pilot
Most likely late to the party on this one but a friend of mine at a refueler squadron sent me a picture of their squadron bar and it had a miniature boom as a beer tap hanging from the ceiling. You had to grab a string and pull it down to fill your glass. Pretty neat.

HuggyU2

None
We'd always heard about squadron bars in Air Force ready rooms and were always amazed that was allowed...
But it seems that may have had a part in the demise of the O club.
Zip,

I don't believe the AF squadron bars led to The Club demise. We always had a pretty robust squadron bar culture during my years and both co-existed well and complemented each other.

At Beale on a Friday, we would hit the squadron bar for a while, then head to the Big House and meet the spouses and girlfriends... and would carry on into the night. The Club scene died at Beale around 2000. I saw some good Clubs still going on elsewhere as late at 2004.

What killed the O'Club culture? I don't know. It didn't help when subsidies went away and beer was more expensive than off base. Some always blame the "DUI" thing... but I believe it goes deeper.

Will "The Club Culture" ever come back? Maybe at select "special events" at an HQ base like Randolph AFB. But I'm glad for the great O'Club memories I have because I believe they are extinct at most places.

Different but similar story... changing tastes amongst the current generation has resulted in Beale's 18 hole golf course to close a few months ago. By Spring, it will be an unmowed field of weeds.

Last edited:

Waveoff

Per Diem Mafia
None
Most likely late to the party on this one but a friend of mine at a refueler squadron sent me a picture of their squadron bar and it had a miniature boom as a beer tap hanging from the ceiling. You had to grab a string and pull it down to fill your glass. Pretty neat.
Must get a lot of use after they CANX a mission flight for the 15th time in a month... But what do I know, VP has the least cool squadron spaces since we basically hot rack our entire unit spaces every 12 months since there isn't enough hangar slots for each squadron on the flight line. Makes it impossible to establish a continuity of identity when you put everything in storage.

jmcquate

Contributor
Different but similar story... changing tastes amongst the current generation has resulted in Beale's 18 hole golf course to close a few months ago. By Spring, it will be an unmowed field of weeds.
WOW! The Air Force closing a golf course must send a red flag to the stars at the Pentagon and Langley. Must be the Reaper influence.

HuggyU2

None
WOW! The Air Force closing a golf course must send a red flag to the stars at the Pentagon and Langley. Must be the Reaper influence.
There is no way they give 2 shits.
Under the current construct, if they cannot make it profitable, it dies.

The epic days of stealing golf carts and driving all over the base on a Friday night with the cops in pursuit are long, long gone.

Beale did open an axe throwing venue at the Club... so we got that going for us.

Which is nice.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
I’m guessing he thinks guys who sit around in dark trailers for hours a day don’t golf much?

There's nothing better than a burrito and a Bloody Mary or a strong Arnold Palmer on the first tee box after doing hoodrat shit with your homies mids, while the rest of the base is coming in to work for the day. When you're on mids the 8am tee time is pretty much mandatory.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot