• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Pilot Training & Squadron Bars

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
VT-2 had a Ready Room/Bar that was somewhat regularly used when I left in 2019, including occasional beer on tap but mostly beer fines in bottle form. Mostly IPs hanging out on Thursday/Friday afternoons or on a bad thunderstorm day. Occasionally I'd invite students but it could be that weird part where 1-2 SNAs to 10 IPs was awkward and they'd rather hang with their friends. I get it, for a lot of them, done on Friday means they're gone.

We would do selections in there with students, where they could bring their Spouse/Friends/Seville Quarter Rando and find out the fate of the next 10 years of their lives. Usually well attended by IPs and SNAs, sometimes catered, beers were offered and usually partaken.

Tie Cuttings were also there or other places, depending on who was organizing. Again, fairly well attended, Pizza/Chik Fil A/Jimmy Johns provided, beers and camaraderie were had.

In general, part of why I was drawn to Naval Aviation was the strong history and culture. I was in a fraternity in college and the bonds I've made with other Gold Wingers is a close second to those friendships. I tried to be a good example of having fun, partaking in a few beverages, not being creepy, and mentoring students in more than just how to properly fly the T-6. I had 19 on wings and about half a dozen I still talk to on a regular basis about career planning stuff.

jointhelocalizer

pilot
Whiting still has a bar and it's called Ace's still. It's open for reservations only. I honestly forgot we had a bar until I helped at a retirement ceremony. I think the only time it has been brought up is during the MWR brief at wing check-in. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that most SNAs don't know about it and I can almost guarantee SNA's don't/wouldn't really go. Plenty more to do on Palafox. Wouldn't be surprised if those assigned to the Base, Wing, or AMDO School would be there a lot, though. It is also kind of hard to find with it being at the NGIS (a place where SNAs don't really go to outside of the occasional all hands brief). If the old O Club was the Gateway Wings Club, the only thing that remains is the brick marquis. MWR just renovated the bowling alley and it's now a liberty center with a game area, a projector/seating for big sporting events, etc.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
@HuggyU2 the culture of squadron bars /heritage rooms at the VT's were a direct result of AF cultural infusion at the beginning of the experiment that was joint primary training. The original AF AETC cadre to Whiting, TW-5 and VT-3 were aghast when they discovered tee totalling culture of their Navy brethren - and the first AF CC of VT-3 insisted on a proper libation consuming presence and associated space. CNATRA initially dug in it's heels and said no way, only to see it overruled in a big way.

This first contact soured the joint training concept but everyone I've talked to tell me it was a welcome change and an important one to the culture of forming fledgling aviators properly.

Thank God.

zipmartin

Never been better
pilot
Contributor
@HuggyU2 the culture of squadron bars /heritage rooms at the VT's were a direct result of AF cultural infusion at the beginning of the experiment that was joint primary training. The original AF AETC cadre to Whiting, TW-5 and VT-3 were aghast when they discovered tee totalling culture of their Navy brethren - and the first AF CC of VT-3 insisted on a proper libation consuming presence and associated space. CNATRA initially dug in it's heels and said no way, only to see it overruled in a big way.

This first contact soured the joint training concept but everyone I've talked to tell me it was a welcome change and an important one to the culture of forming fledgling aviators properly.

Thank God.
I was surprised when reading this thread and found that there were bars within the squadron spaces, as that type of thing was never tolerated when I was still in. We'd always heard about squadron bars in Air Force ready rooms and were always amazed that was allowed since that side of the armed forces always seemed to be more tightly controlled than our more lenient Navy side. But it seems that may have had a part in the demise of the O club.

Birdbrain

pilot
I have fond memories of spending hours in the War Room at TW-1 BSing with fellow studs and listening to sea stories from IPs. War Room debriefs on Friday afternoons sometimes went on until the kegs and fridge were empty.

Lemoore O'Club seems like it's fun for patchings but on Fridays most people head out for the weekend. I wish we could bring back some semblance of regular O'Club culture. Like SynixMan said I was in a fraternity and I found the bonding over drinks and games to be part of the draw of the culture. It seems like most people my age would rather have their fun at a friend's house and sleep on the couch than risk getting a DUI heading out the gate so there's that.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
I have fond memories of spending hours in the War Room at TW-1 BSing with fellow studs and listening to sea stories from IPs. War Room debriefs on Friday afternoons sometimes went on until the kegs and fridge were empty.

Lemoore O'Club seems like it's fun for patchings but on Fridays most people head out for the weekend. I wish we could bring back some semblance of regular O'Club culture. Like SynixMan said I was in a fraternity and I found the bonding over drinks and games to be part of the draw of the culture. It seems like most people my age would rather have their fun at a friend's house and sleep on the couch than risk getting a DUI heading out the gate so there's that.

Unfortunately, we've seen the demise of the JOPA-mobile that I think also led to the demise of O-club culture. I think I got among the last tastes of it. I did my MIDN cruise with HSL-44 and they bought an old Church's van (not like a duty van, more like ones with seating across the aisle from each other) that sat about 16 or so people comfortably + the driver. They painted it like their show bird - it was truly epic. On their duty bill, they had a Friday night duty driver who was the DD and would pick up JOPA from either the squadron or their houses, and take them to the party. It was an awesome culture to have. Spouses and significant others were allowed too. At the end of the night, you had a free ride to your home. Worked out really nice.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
^That's amazing!
I wish more squadrons had JOPA-mobiles. There's one (or two?) in the Naval Aviation museum.

jmcquate

Contributor
^That's amazing!
I wish more squadrons had JOPA-mobiles. There's one (or two?) in the Naval Aviation museum.
A few years back, there were two or three of them at the Oceana air show parked by the squadron booths.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Yeah there are still a good handful of them at Oceana/Lemoore/Whidbey/Miramar. Some are a bit worse for wear now than 10 years ago. I think Miramar has the best pair I can think of, though I have no idea what state they are in today. Last I saw the snakes one, it was hard down in Fallon and that was maybe 7 years ago now.