• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

PFT tips

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ann Merke

As for breathing, I've always "heard" and practiced 'in through the nose, out through the mouth.' Easy for me to get in a rhythm. In my head my breathing is "in in out out in in out out".... sexy, no?

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Pullups are king. 1 extra pullup is worth the equivalent of cutting 50 sec off your run. Max the crunches (easy) and the pullups, and you're 90% of the way to a 1st class.

KBayDog

RedScotch said:
As for breathing, I've always "heard" and practiced 'in through the nose, out through the mouth.' Easy for me to get in a rhythm. In my head my breathing is "in in out out in in out out".... sexy, no?

Sexy...NO! Was it George Carlin that noted how runners never smile?

Anyway, your body will find it's optimal stride and breath rhythm. Just relax and let nature take its course. (That's why I hate formation runs - it is unnatural to get a bunch of different people to have the exact same stride and breathing. Of course, the fact that it is unnatural is the very reason that we do it!)

Anyway, my best rhythm is "in" for three strides, "out" for three strides.

T-man

T minus 60 minutes and counting.... heh. I think I'm starting to get kinda nervous which is odd cause I didn't feel very nervous on my first one. Maybe because I want so badly to get a first class score with this one...

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
best thing that helped me to hit 100 on the crunches was to try to get 70 in the first minute. That "last stretch" of 20 or so crunches always sucks so try to think that you need to do 120. By the time you start to fatigue, you're already done.

On the pullups, (I think it was mentioned earlier) as soon as you pull over the top of the bar, drop down instead of resisting. You burn too much trying to let yourself down slowly instead of dropping. And if you're doing them palms outward, put your thumb on top of the bar along with your other fingers. It helps to strengthen your grip.

For the running....God help me with that.

HueyCobra8151

pilot
T-man said:
T minus 60 minutes and counting.... heh. I think I'm starting to get kinda nervous which is odd cause I didn't feel very nervous on my first one. Maybe because I want so badly to get a first class score with this one...

Hah, don't worry. I got super nervous before every PFT I ever took.

Hell, I am nervous as hell about a PFT I am taking in a month when reporting to mecep prep. I have a solid 270+ as of right now (still improving it), and I am STILL paranoid I am gonna fail.

My last formal school traumatized me :(

freshy

Genius by birth. Slacker by choice.
pilot
I like to pound a Rockstar before the PFT. You gotta try one if you havn't had one.

Attachments

• Gold-RS-Logo.gif
    Gold-RS-Logo.gif
    9.1 KB · Views: 49

T-man

WOOOHOOOO! I did it! Not only did I make my goal, I blew it away!!

previous score:
13/67/23:43 = 197

Today's score:
17/76/21:47 = 238

My score is now high enough to submit my application package for OCS class 190 in October :D That was my goal. Much like my first score, I am amazed at the run time on my second score. the Msgt who did the test said that he was amazed I ran that fast, and I am myself. some of you may say that's an easy run... but not for someone like myself who is a 26 (approaching 27) year old 6' 200 lb muscular (not skin and bone by any stretch of the imagination) dude who has lost 60 lbs in less than 5 months. And before that weight loss, could barely run half a mile without keeling over and having a heart attack.

Today is a great day! for my application package can now finally be submitted after less than 5 months of hard PT. This of course does not mean I can let up on that PT, cause I still need to get a good 30 more points for a competative score come selection time. I'm just happy to get it submitted this early!!
:D:D:D:D:D

Ann Merke

Right on T-Man! Congrats and good job! Amazing feeling isn't it? Improving your score that much?!?! Its also fun seeing MSgt's face when you show up about 2-3 minutes faster than he's expecting, that double take when you come around the last corner at the Lake, hauling a$$. Keep up the good work and keep working on improving that score!!! That's a fantastic improvement! You know what you need to do!! Good work!! Make that PFT your bee-yatch.

scotty008

Back at last
pilot
Nice work, man. I feel you on the size factor... 6'3" 215 here. Keep on charging-just imagine what you can do in by the time the board meets later this Summer. Maybe you should print out those motivational posters and put them on your wall...

Slammer2

Contributor
Way to go T-Man. I'm trying to get my scores up myself and hearing about others smashing their goals sort of motivates me. Congrats on the improvement.

tegtag

I'm not a very good PFTer but here are my tips:

Crunches: stretch your quads before hand. I find if I don't my legs tighten up bad around 75 crunches.

Pull-ups: Look at the bar when coming up. Its awkward and you might start to feel a headache because you eyes will probably cross, but for me seeing the destination makes all the difference (I used to do them in front of a mirror, big mistake).

If you do chin-ups (palms toward face), grip the bar exactly shoulder width apart. I think I lose power when I "chicken wing" in or out. You may also feel yourself almost traveling away from the bar, almost like an arc movement when you go up, as you do it, but you get a more streamlined bicep movement.

Basically just work on you technique for everything. Crunches is where you actually want to shoot for the minimun- minimum amount of movement up and down to achieve one crunch. It also took me about 1000 pull ups to be comfortable with my grip and perfect the "fall" down and catch/spring up method.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Quick tip--make sure your feet are close to your butt during the crunches so that your theighs are vertical. This will shorten the distance you have to crunch.

Slammer2

Contributor
phrogdriver said:
Quick tip--make sure your feet are close to your butt during the crunches so that your theighs are vertical. This will shorten the distance you have to crunch.

I second that one. The other day I did mine with my legs out more and I got about 30 less. Took me a while to figure out why I was so fatigued.

Status
Not open for further replies.