• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

PFT tips

Status
Not open for further replies.

T-man

Taking my second PFT tomorrow and thought I'd dump a quick post on here to see if there were any tips I'm missing to get that extra pullup/crunch etc. I scored a 197 (13/67/23:48) on my first PFT. My goal tomorrow is to get the minimum to submit my app for class 190 in October. After achieving that minimum I intend to train hard as hell and work on getting it up to a competitive range before selection. Anyways, the tips I have so far:

1. On pullups, drop after your chin is above the bar. This conserves energy by letting your muscles relax before the next pullup.
2. Crunches, same idea as the pullups, let your stomach relax and your body drop to conserve energy and prepare you for the next crunch.
4. Run, start slow and finish fast. Obviously don't start super slow, but start slow enough that you'll be able to do a flat run for the last 1/4 mile.

Those are the tips I have, are there any others out there that people have found tend to help?

My goal is to get a minimum of 16/80 on the pullups/crunches. That should push me over the edge into the first class PFT rating where I can submit my app for OCS :)

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
T-man said:
Taking my second PFT tomorrow and thought I'd dump a quick post on here to see if there were any tips I'm missing to get that extra pullup/crunch etc. ...:)

The insiders guide to the PFT:

1. Take a dump before

2. Good strong coffee (caffeine is an excellent short term performance enhancer..) may need #2 before #1 if depending on if coffee also makes you go :)

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
ChuckMK23 said:
The insiders guide to the PFT:

1. Take a dump before

2. Good strong coffee (caffeine is an excellent short term performance enhancer..) may need #2 before #1 if depending on if coffee also makes you go :)

1. That surprisingly can work, on a psychological level. Feel lighter, run better. We used to do a similar thing in track all the time... never ran in our spikes until the meet.... always felt much lighter (they were to a degree). You'd feel like you were boosted.

2. Wonder if Red Bull works?

KBayDog

Not only do you feel better, but I know I'm not the only one that gets the trots about 1/2 mile into any morning runs.

Clux4

Banned
I really think you should work on the crunches alot more. How often are you doing them? You make money on the pullups and crunches. The run might be the b!atch.

Concur with the coffee thing. I do that before my track meets and it does help me get out in the first 5 mins. of the run.

Eat well and hydrate

Clux4

Banned
Fly Navy said:
1. That surprisingly can work, on a psychological level. Feel lighter, run better. We used to do a similar thing in track all the time... never ran in our spikes until the meet.... always felt much lighter (they were to a degree). You'd feel like you were boosted.

2. Wonder if Red Bull works?

Red Bull is good for the sprinters. I don't know how well it will go with a longer run.

KBayDog

One more thing, T-Man - I can appreciate that you want to set realistic goals for yourself. However, a little friendly advice before you start your military career - never, NEVER set your goal as to get the "minimum" score for anything. Your "minimum" bar should always be set a "max," if you get what I'm saying.

That said, you're right about everything you've been told. However, when you train for pullups, go through a full range of motion. Don't cheese any of it. (When time comes to do the PFT, by all means, drop as soon as your chin clears the bar). With the running, absolutely run negative splits (faster second half than first half). If you can comfortably run 5-6 miles, your 3-mile PFT will seem like a joke. As for the crunches, you need to max them. They are easy, easy money. In fact, I never do crunches - I think I'm in the 200-crunch a year club (100 for each PFT). I just bust 'em out quickly, don't take breaks, and get them over with. Most times, I've done 100 by the end of the first minute.

Give 'em hell tomorrow.

HueyCobra8151

pilot
When you do situps, breathe out at the top of each crunch, and try and keep your abdomen straight and your arms as low as you can for the least range of motion. Also, try to bounce off the deck a little so you get that added push.

Once you get good at them, crunches are your easy money - I think my last PFT I did my 100 before the first minute - using that method.

Of course, when you practice them, you should be getting the maximum range of motion. A great workout if you have a partner is to find an incline board and get a medicine ball or whatever (we use a basketball). One person is doing situps and handing the ball to the other person, then you go down, up, grab the ball, and touch it to the ground over your head when you go back down. Your partner should mix it up, put the ball low,high,left,right, etc...

If you just keep going back and forth like this, you will really feel it.
--

Is there a scientific reason why you should start slow and run faster on the second half?

My last PFT I got an 18:15, and my theory has always been to run as fast as you can to the halfway point...then turn around and run back faster. Whenever I am running, everytime I breath I think: "FASTER"

Also, how do you all breathe?

I breathe through my mouth, in/out everytime my left foot hits the deck.
Left - In
Right
Left - Out
Right
Left - In
etc...

I have found I can control my pace with my breathing this way.

T-man

KBayDog said:
One more thing, T-Man - I can appreciate that you want to set realistic goals for yourself. However, a little friendly advice before you start your military career - never, NEVER set your goal as to get the "minimum" score for anything. Your "minimum" bar should always be set a "max," if you get what I'm saying.

Very good advice KBay, and that is the mindset I have had, and intend to have through OCS. However, a little reality check tells me there is no way I'm going to max pullups/crunches tomorrow on my PFT which is what I was essentially saying. Not only that, I am certain my body is still in a bit of "shock" having lost about 60 lbs since January when I decided to apply to OCS. I want to get my package in as soon as possible, hence the desire to reach the minimum required for package submission (225, right?). Once that is accomplished, I have every intention of going b@lls to the wall in trying to max my PFT and update the score on my package up to the point of being selected. That's all I was trying to say. But thank you for that advice and encouragement! I have every intention of putting forth my maximum effort tomorrow. I can only hope that it is good enough to submit my package.

KBayDog

A first class PFT is the minimum, but you absolutely need to submit a higher score prior to selection. You certainly sound like you have the drive to succeed, and I have no doubt you will. Keep your eyes on the prize!

HueyCobra8151

pilot
Motivation For You!!!

Hey motivator, turn that frown upside down:

failure.jpeg

losing.jpeg

demotivators_1836_7699930

demotivators_1836_7388533

demotivators_1836_16026409

And finally:

demotivators_1836_35850

Hope that motivates you to go PT!!

:D

HueyCobra8151

pilot
What are you doing for your pullups? How many pullups do you do now?

What are you doing for your run? What is your run time now?

Something that helped me drop my run time from 20:30 to 19:30 was going to MSG school.

We ran 4-6 milers at least once or twice a week, and the pace was brutal. 1/2 to 3/4 of the Platoon would drop out, and I puked on nearly every run.

We also did an 8 miler twice (I forget the name of it, "something loop". Quantico Marines can you help me out? You run from MSG Bn [by the football field] down past the golf course, turn left, up a big azz hill, past the school, and come down by the Commissary/McDonalds, then turn left up the main road and back to MSG Bn)

I dropped my 19:30 down by mixing up a long 7-mile course, and I would run two different stairs. On one, I would sprint the mile to the stadium as fast as I could, run stairs until I couldn't walk anymore, then run back the mile as fast as I could. The other is just a 2 miler (or so) up a long, steep hill with irregular wooden steps.

Between those 3 runs, my running really improved without me even trying all that hard. I got back from a trip to Turkey thinking I would bomb the run, and I ran a minute faster than usual.
--
For pullups there are a lot of methods I have heard/tried.

Right now I am doing the KBaydog patented: Sets of 10 pullup method.

Another good one is doing 1,2,3,4,1,2,3,4,1,2,3,4, etc... until you can't do it.
1+2+3+4 = 10, so if you can do that ladder 7 times, you did 70 pullups.

Armstrong is good too.

T-man

HueyCobra8151 said:
What are you doing for your pullups? How many pullups do you do now?

What are you doing for your run? What is your run time now?

Something that helped me drop my run time from 20:30 to 19:30 was going to MSG school.

We ran 4-6 milers at least once or twice a week, and the pace was brutal. 1/2 to 3/4 of the Platoon would drop out, and I puked on nearly every run.

We also did an 8 miler twice (I forget the name of it, "something loop". Quantico Marines can you help me out? You run from MSG Bn [by the football field] down past the golf course, turn left, up a big azz hill, past the school, and come down by the Commissary/McDonalds, then turn left up the main road and back to MSG Bn)

I dropped my 19:30 down by mixing up a long 7-mile course, and I would run two different stairs. On one, I would sprint the mile to the stadium as fast as I could, run stairs until I couldn't walk anymore, then run back the mile as fast as I could. The other is just a 2 miler (or so) up a long, steep hill with irregular wooden steps.

Between those 3 runs, my running really improved without me even trying all that hard. I got back from a trip to Turkey thinking I would bomb the run, and I ran a minute faster than usual.
--
For pullups there are a lot of methods I have heard/tried.

Right now I am doing the KBaydog patented: Sets of 10 pullup method.

Another good one is doing 1,2,3,4,1,2,3,4,1,2,3,4, etc... until you can't do it.
1+2+3+4 = 10, so if you can do that ladder 7 times, you did 70 pullups.

Armstrong is good too.

I am following kind of my own version of the armstrong. Last set of pullups I did were 3 sets and I pulled out 10, 10, 8 with about 45-60 seconds between sets. I haven't tried a maximum effort set recently.

Again, haven't timed myself recently for the run. Last night I ran about 3 miles ~ 1.6 miles of it were up a damn steep hill.

Status
Not open for further replies.