• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

PFT SCORES FOR OCS!

Status
Not open for further replies.

E6286

OCC 191 Select
Tessone, I am really interested in your ab program. Also, are pull-ups palms facing away from you and chin-ups are palms faceing towards you? I forget.

Tessone

That's correct about the pullups as far as I know (pull-up is palms facing away, chin-up is the opposite), but my OSO told me you can do it either way for the PFT. On the other hand, almost everything you'll encounter at PLC/OCS will be using overhand grip, so it's good to train that way.

Here is the ab routine. It's ten exercises, and you should start doing 10 reps each. The routine takes about five minutes, but is very effective. Increase the number of reps when it gets easy.

1. Regular crunch. Cross fingers behind head, you should not be able to see your elbows out of the corner of your eye.

2. Lat crunch (right). Same as a normal crunch, but lay your legs over to the right side to work your lats.

3. Lat crunch (left). Same as #2, but legs to the left.

4. Legs up crunch. Raise your knees so your lower legs are parallel to the floor, and cross your legs at the ankle. Place your palms on the top of your head, elbows together in front of your face. Now touch your thighs with your elbows.

5. Superman crunch. Lift your legs up perpendicular to the floor and keep them there for all ten reps. Now touch your toes.

6. Straight leg lift. Lift your legs perpendicular to the floor, then low them. Your hands should be on the floor at your sides, and your feet should not touch the floor on the way down, just hover slightly above the floor.

7. Leg crunch. Put your legs out straight, then bring them in to your body, like the position for #4 (only not crossed).

8. Butterfly crunch. Put your legs on the floor with the bottoms of your feet touching. Now lift your feet in toward your chest, then lower. Try to get your butt off the floor, too.

9. Bicycles. Pretty self-explanatory. Like #4, only you're touching opposite elbows to opposite knees. Each elbow to the opposite knee once is a rep (so left, right, left, right, etc. for ten times each side).

10. Full body crunch. Basically combine #1 and #7. Bring knees in and upper body up.

Remember that your abs are like any other muscle. Make sure to rest sufficiently between workouts, remember to stretch, etc. A good stretch for the abs is to lay down on your stomach, then raise up on your arms while arching the back. You should feel a nice stretch.

FIGMAC999

I am 28 and graduated OCS in March. The PFT at OCS is a gut check more than anything. I scored a 211 at check in and graduated with no problem. The pullups hurt me, and still are the weakest factor in my PFT. If you can run in the 21 min range you will be fine. I did a 22:50 in the initial and ran a 19:30 in the final. I hang in the 250 area now, but TBS will hurt your PFT big time. If your body holds up you will have no problem there. The comment about the pack is right too, a rabbit will fade on a long hike with a 75lb pack. Like everything else, heart and willpower will pull you through.

Tessone

After a week and a half on the pull-up program, I'm not feeling great. Has anyone else done this? My elbows ache like nobody's business, and it isn't the good kind of hurt. Running and sit-ups are coming slowly, but no major aches and pains there.

I'm thinking about switching to a weight-lifting routine on alternating days instead of the pullup routine, and I'm kind of despairing about meeting my goals in time to contract for PLC next summer. Currently I'm running about an 8:50 mile, at about 50 crunches (this number is the fastest growing, though), and 6-8 pullups. Any suggestions other than PT, PT, and more PT?

Chris

kmc9280

I hear you onthe soreness. I've been doing that pull-up program for just over a week now and my left shoulder has been sore. I've been doing my own program for the last 4 or 5 months which leads me to believe that it's just the new routine of push-ups that has made me ache a little. I started at about 13 pull-ups so I will drop a line in about three weeks so everyone can see my progress after 4 weeks. Over the last week my push-ups have almost doubled though! I also just started taking vitamins, whey protein and xenadrin. I'm trying to lose a little extra weight while still keeping muscle. I figure if I can drop about 10 lbs. that would be another 2 pull-ups! As far as sore joints- stick with it, stretch and drink lots of water and you will eventually work through the soreness. It's probably just a little tendonitis from the new increase in workouts. I've heard glucosamine helps sore joints so that may be an option to look into. Good Luck

Kevin

mpratt

Tessone,
I'm doing the armstrong workout as well. I had the same problem as you did about the "not right pain". On day three, instead of doing the pull-up with arms wide behind the head, try it in front instead. Thats how I'm doing it now and other then sore muscles I don't feel any pain that shouldn't be there.
mpratt

Miahman3

I thought I would just comment on some of the PFT questions that some of you have about OCS. I graduated OCS last summer and was commisioned in Febuary. Almost everyone droped their run time by at least 2 minuets by there final PFT. As well there were very few candidates who ran over 20. There were several candidates who were dropped because not only were their PFT scores bad, but they stugguled with all of the pt requirements. You should also know that it will be very difficult to increase your pullups during OCS. Some candidates will even lose one or two by the end. I believe that there were less then five candidates who got a 300 PFT, and none of them were dropped.

Semper Fi,

Lt. Barbre

kmc9280

Miahman3,
I'm at about a 22 min. mile right now and trying to work through shin splints. I'm supposed to do the January 19th class so I still have some time. My question is, for the initial PFT what would you say the average run time was. I would like to be down to 20 by the time I go in so I'm thinking I'm on the right track. Also what did regular PT consist of and how long did it last? I would mind starting some of that now. If you could, walk through an average day at OCS, from reville to shut eye.

Kevin

Miahman3

KMC9280,

First off you should visit the OCS website at http://www.ocs.usmc.mil/index.htm. The site has a lot of very good info on OCS. As far as your run time goes you should worry too much about it. I think my initial run was around a 21 and by our last pft it was down to a 18:36. There will be no time to get into shape while you are at OCS. The pt is by far, more difficult then it is in recruit training or any other officer program in the other service. We pt'd six days a week unless we were out in the field. It focuses on cardio and endurance which is why most candidates pullups do not drastically improve. The most difficult training was the endurance course which is three miles, half of it straight run the other half obsticles, in full combat geer which includes your rifle and helment. That one is a real kick in the ass. A typical day at OCS would be reville at 0500 march to the chow hall by 0545 and then have pt for about an 1.5 hours. We then usually have classes all during the day. When we were not in the classroom, we were drilling cleaning our rifles, and studing for future exames and events. Tap was at 2200 so we only had 7 hours of sleep minus your fire watch. We also went in the field about once a week. I hope this was helpful, let me know if you have any more questions.

Semper Fi,

Lt. Barbre

kmc9280

Lt. Barbre,
That actually helped me quite a bit. I feel like I have seen just about every bit of info about OCS, TBS, etc. on the web! I believe hearing it from someone that went through it is better than reading it on just about any webpage though. Just getting a better idea of everyday life at OCS was helpful. I had heard that on average I should expect 3 to 4 hours of sleep each night. Is that accurate or a little exxagerated? Thanks for your help.

Kevin

Miahman3

Kevin,

Get used to not sleeping. We had a guy in our platoon who actually fell asleep while we were marching. For the first few weeks you will hardly get more then 5 hours of sleep per night. Once you get used to the pattern of OCS, your body will start to adjust and you will get your maximum amount of sleep. Expect about 3 nights of firewatch each week. As more candidates get dropped the rotation will get shorter and you will have it more often.

Lt. Barbre

kmc9280

Sorry if this seems like a stupid question but is firewatch all night long or does it rotate every few hours during the night? Thanks.

Kevin

Miahman3

Kevin,

Every hour from 2200 until 0500 there will be firewatch. It is one hour long and two candidates per watch. Also if your platoon has duty, then you will have a phone watch and if you have company duty you will have parking lot watch. There will be firewatch during the entire liberty as well.

Lt. Barbre

EA-6B1

PLC Jrs 1st Inc. Kilo-3
Old post, but what was the average PFT at OCS this past summer ('03)? What was the average run time? I know there isn't factual knowledge of this stuff, but if one of you guys that was there could let us knwo I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

DakUSMC

In PLC Seniors over the summer, I would estimate the average PFT was probably about 100 crunches, 18 pullups, and a 19:30 run. It seemed like the initial and final PFT scores were about the same. Mostly everyone improved their run time, but it was offset by the lack of rest, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.