• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

PFT SCORES FOR OCS!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kaiken82

JUST WANTED TO KNOW WHAT PFT SCORES ARE LOOKING LIKE FOR THE JANUARY 03 CLASS. I HAVE BEEN PUTTING OFF SUBMITTING MY PACKET UNTIL I GET MY RUN TIME BEAT DOWN A COUPLE OF MORE MINUTES BUT ACCORDING TO MY OSO, THE BAR HAS RISEN TO AROUND A 22 MIN RUN TIME AND <20MIN FOR THOSE OF US REQUIRING AN AGE WAIVER. I AM 27 SO I UNFORTUNATELY FALL IN THE LATTER CATEGORY, IN ONE ELSE IN THE SAME BOAT??

napkin

Your goal should oviously be to run as fast as possible. However, I'm not sure if there really is a specific time that you must run in order to remain at OCS. I attended OCS this summer but was NPQ'd due to shin splints. Many of the candidates I encountered were running between 22-24 minutes and continued at OCS. However, my OSO said that 24 minutes was the threshhold and if you ran slower than 24 minutes they would send you home. Again, I'm not convinced that's an absolute either. A lot of what you will hear is designed to test your motivation and make you strive to meet ever increasing expectations.

The age waiver, as far as I know, isn't tied to a specific run time and my OSO never indicated the two were related. I received an age waiver due to my age, 31, and was running between 23-25 minutes. I too am looking to re-apply and continue to work on my run time. Keep in mind that an excellent run time (or overall PFT score) will make you look better even though you're older.

My advice it to stay motivated and run, run, run! My opinion is that OCS believes strongly your commitment to the process will make up for any physical limitations so long as those physical limitations don't prevent you from completing the process (e.g. shin splints, broken arm, concussion, etc.). Good luck!

kaiken82

NAPKIN,

I figured some of that spill was for motivational purposes but wanted to know if anyone else had been told the same thing, I appreciate the info. I think that I can make a 21 min. run before the deadline comes but beyond that it would take awhile I have really laid off the cardio in the last few years. Fortunately I am managing to do all 20 pullups and 100 crunches so I should have a strong PFT score after I lick this run. Where you on a Pilot contract?

O-man

Pull-ups are by far the most important part of your PFT score. Not that you can slack in anything else- but I think that if you can run around 22-21min, you should be fine- you'll just be miserable during some of the runs- along with everyone else. But if you can do 20 dead hang, hey not many people can- thats real good.

napkin

Yes, I was on an aviation contract. I too maxed the pull-ups and crunches but disagree that these are more important than cardio. From my experiences down there it seems that cardio was quite important. However, I do agree that candidates will be miserable regardless.

The pull-ups can be done overhand or underhand; it's your preference.

Ghish

I just graduated from OCS and I can say that all aspects of the PFT are closely looked at. But the one area that I recommend everyone concentrate on is the run. In my platoon alone, there was only 1 or 2 individuals, that graduated, running more than 20 minutes for the 3 mile run. Almost all of your PT events will deal with stamina and endurance. Upper body strength is also important, but if you can't handle the endurance runs you are going to have a tough time at OCS.

I would say the average inventory PFT at OCS, in my platoon, was around 265+. I was not at this level when I went in and playing catch-up with everyone else is not that fun.

Good Luck.

Q-ball

Marine CH-53E Pilot
pilot
Kaiken,

Don't sweat your run time too much. It sounds like you have the same problem I do. I usually run around a 21-22 min 3 mile time, but I always max the pull ups and crunches. I haven't scored a sub 270 PFT since I've been in. Sure those little rabbits will pass you during pt runs, but once everyone puts a pack and gear on for a hump I'm sure it'll be a different story. You'll do fine, so don't kill yourself tring to run an 18 min run.

Q-ball

kmc9280

Does anyone have any suggestions for increasing pull-ups? I have tried wieghted pull-ups w/ the dip belt as weel as the pyramid and they have helped. I'm just looking for anything else I could do. Thanks.

Kevin

DMan

Ghish and other newly commissioned Lts,

You mentioned only one or two candidates ran more than a 20 minute-3 miles. I was wondering how many and/or what percentage of the platoons and company ran less than a 18 minute? How about a 300 PFT score, how many and/or what percentage?

Semper Fi,
DMan

mottoalex

kmc9280,

Check out the Armstrong Pullup Program. It has helped me a lot.

http://www-scf.usc.edu/~holgate/usmc_pt.htm

Espy
USMC
2nd Lt.

Tessone

Thanks for the PT info, Lt. Espy. I'm definitely going to do the running program and the pullup program.

I have an ab program I've been doing that works *really* well. I'll post about it later tonight when I have time.

Status
Not open for further replies.