• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Pentagon says ships harassed by Iran

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
The entire situation was not as common as you might think.

I've done three trips through the straights (6 if you count both ways) and each time these jackasses came darting through the formation. Some were "smugglers" and some were Iranian military of some sorts. I've seen them come much closer than what that video showed. Last time I was sitting in PriFly and was certain that one of them would hit us. Nobody shot anything or really freaked out. The squids didn't seem to think it was that big of a deal. We even got overflown by an Iranian P-3.:sleep_125

Scoob

If you gotta problem, yo, I'll be part of it.
pilot
Contributor
They just like to remind us that during the SOH transit we're a little vulnerable and they could do something if they chose to.

Just like we like to remind them by transiting the SOH that we have a big ass Navy that would swiftly crush them if they chose to give us a reason.

Good times.:D

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I've done three trips through the straights (6 if you count both ways) and each time these jackasses came darting through the formation. Some were "smugglers" and some were Iranian military of some sorts. I've seen them come much closer than what that video showed. Last time I was sitting in PriFly and was certain that one of them would hit us. Nobody shot anything or really freaked out. The squids didn't seem to think it was that big of a deal. We even got overflown by an Iranian P-3.:sleep_125

Like I said.......this was different.......a lot more aggressive than even what you saw, simple as that.

Scoob

If you gotta problem, yo, I'll be part of it.
pilot
Contributor
Republican Guard or upper management???
Yeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh....I'm gonna need you to come in on Sunday and harrass a Strike Group for me.

...and one more thing. Did you get the memo on the TPS reports? We're putting cover sheets on those now.

:D

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh....I'm gonna need you to come in on Sunday and harrass a Strike Group for me.

:D

Isn't it Jiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiihhhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaddddddddd?

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
For those keeping score at home, the IRGC is a completely separate organization from the regular armed forces. They report to the Supreme Leader who, by the Iranian Constitution, is a Shiite cleric. They don't really play well with the regular military.

As the military is tasked with safeguarding the Iranian state, the IRGC is tasked with safeguarding the Revolution itself. Think of them as poorly equipped, nutty Praetorians. I bet Ayatollah Khameni just loves to have them around to be a "bad cop" to the "good cop" of the official government/diplomatic party line. As in "well, Mr. Bush, we're happy to talk with you. But these guys over here, well, you see, they hate your guts and they're really not too keen on following orders . . ."

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I bet Ayatollah Khameni just loves to have them around to be a "bad cop" to the "good cop" of the official government/diplomatic party line. As in "well, Mr. Bush, we're happy to talk with you. But these guys over here, well, you see, they hate your guts and they're really not too keen on following orders . . ."

Great for plausible deniability, too......"Say what happened??....you say speedboats and boxes in the Straits?? Oh, that's those nutty IRGC guys just fooling around again!! They didn't probably know it was you and thought it was our guys and decided to play a joke. Just ignore them...Just a misunderstanding, that's all!

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Great for plausible deniability, too......"Say what happened??....you say speedboats and boxes in the Straits?? Oh, that's those nutty IRGC guys just fooling around again!! Not us in the government. Just ignore them Just a misunderstanding, that's all!

Which seems like pretty much what they wound up saying. "What? No, totally routine. We didn't do anything provocative." We show video of them being provocative. "You guys totally made that up."

I'd feel better if this were a ploy by the Iranian gov't, but I get the feeling they didn't know anything about it 'til they saw it on the news. The "armed zealots not really under anyone's control" thing means everything's very unpredictable. That means everyone gets nervous and sooner or later it's going to get messy.

BourneID

pilot
:DJust noticed fox news had a story that the Iranians made their own video of the incident, to show they were "right" in what they did. I guess they got tired of us continually 'doctoring' photos, video, and documents to make them look bad.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
:DJust noticed fox news had a story that the Iranians made their own video of the incident, to show they were "right" in what they did. I guess they got tired of us continually 'doctoring' photos, video, and documents to make them look bad.

The video looks legit, compared to what the Navy saw. But they are definitely showing a different part of the incident. Very interesting to watch.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
That whole Iran video thing was pretty silly. If you say I broke into your house, and you have pictures of me inside your living room holding a glass cutter and your TV, what the hell does it prove if I go, "No, look, here's pictures of me standing outside your house"?

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
That whole Iran video thing was pretty silly. If you say I broke into your house, and you have pictures of me inside your living room holding a glass cutter and your TV, what the hell does it prove if I go, "No, look, here's pictures of me standing outside your house"?

Exactly.

BourneID

pilot
All it proves is that you were still in the vicinity of my property at the time the theft occured, and you are still a suspect. I admit, the Iranians are tools, and they will do everything in their power to make us like evil capitalist pig scum.