• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Penske Truck Rental

fighterMJ

I'm going CA to Salt Lake City here, and looking for a one way truck rental. Need to just drop it off in Utah when I get there. Has anyone ever done the one-way thing? I'm use to moving smaller distances, so any advice or experience stories would help out!

Thanks!!

Maynard
:D

Ave8tor

Bringing the Noise!™
pilot
I just reserved a 26' Penske truck for my upcoming move to NC. U-Haul sucks balls compared to them! Anyway, I had a question regarding insurance. I'm sure there is some type of insurance offered once I pick up my truck but I was if I could put the truck on my govt credit card and get the insurance that way. Is this a legit purchase to add to the card since I will be under orders, or will it not fly?

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
I just reserved a 26' Penske truck for my upcoming move to NC. U-Haul sucks balls compared to them! Anyway, I had a question regarding insurance. I'm sure there is some type of insurance offered once I pick up my truck but I was if I could put the truck on my govt credit card and get the insurance that way. Is this a legit purchase to add to the card since I will be under orders, or will it not fly?

I believe the insurance is non-refundable no matter how you slice it. Double check the DITY form (or whatever the hell they call it. "personally procured move").

Although I'd check your auto-insurance (mine is USAA) and see if they cover the truck.

MettGT

pilot
On the coversheet/checklist thing they give you to make sure you send everything in for the DITY move, it says that insurance won't be reimbursed. Also, my auto policy through USAA doesn't cover truck rentals, which I think is pretty standard, but YMMV.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
On the coversheet/checklist thing they give you to make sure you send everything in for the DITY move, it says that insurance won't be reimbursed. Also, my auto policy through USAA doesn't cover truck rentals, which I think is pretty standard, but YMMV.

^ What I was getting at. Thanks Mett.

AKM56LB

We used Budget for our DITY in Aug and got a great deal. On their website they frequently have half price deals... just keep checking their site and you may catch one. Also, type one USMILORD in the coupon code box, and you get an extra 20% off. Through UHAUL, the biggest truck w/ tow trailer would have been $8-900, Penske $600, and Budget was around $600. We waited a week and the price dropped to around $300. We followed the price a while. It went back up a few weeks later, then it dropped again to half price, so we reserved it then.

Ave8tor

Bringing the Noise!™
pilot
Are you planning on moving under orders? If so, the govt will pick up the tab and move you based on where you live and what companies are available in that area. I wasn't sure how it was all going to play out when I was in Cali getting ready to head to VA for TBS, but I was required to take a personal move class that answered all the questions. If that's the case, look into it (talk to your OSO, they will usually have newer info on the matter) because it takes a couple of weeks for it all to run its course.

Scruff

None
Contributor
Just letting yall know the maintenance on all Penske trucks is top notch. I sell tools to two locations in Nashville and they both have great technicians working on these trucks.
After every return trip the trucks have to go through a "safety lane", where all fluids, tire pressures and other general maintenance is checked along with any customer complaint.
They have used internationals for sometime now and switch them up after either a mileage pass, or age of the truck. I think its 5 years.
95% of the motors are cummins and the others are caterpillars, both US companies.
Good stuff going on at Penske. You won't find any this at Uhaul.