• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Penske Truck Rental

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
Some of you guys probably have found this out already....but Uhaul sucks. I am doing a partial DITY from Corpus to Jax and recently reserved a 22' truck and car carrier (flat bed, not dolly) from Penske. Total cost? $603. Same equipment (minus diesel truck of course...cause Uhaul sucks) from Uhaul? $1245 Budget came in at just under $1000.

They also allow you two changes of date on your reservation without charge so that you can make the reservation on verbal receipt of orders and then change it as neccesary to meet your actual schedule.

Seem like solid people to deal with. More details after the pain...:indiffere

HeloBubba

SH-2F AW
Contributor
I like Penske. We used them when we moved from Syracuse, NY to SoCal. Very easy to deal with, the equipment was in great shape, and they were the cheapest.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
I like Penske. We used them when we moved from Syracuse, NY to SoCal. Very easy to deal with, the equipment was in great shape, and they were the cheapest.

I have had the same experience with Penske over the couple full DITY moves I've made.

FLY_USMC

pilot
2 on Penske, ALWAYS get a quote initially online and wait a day, they always call you and offer you more discounts by phone the next day.

Fongabonga

pilot
A couple buddies of mine PCSed with them and 2 of them went to Lemoore costing around 400 bucks. Very nice people right on yorktown, I plan on using them as well.

skim

Teaching MIDN how to drift a BB
None
Contributor
Good to know. I didn't know much about the other movers and have went with Uhaul for a move and I will never use Uhaul again. I moved to Salt Lake City and they gave me a truck with an under inflated tire (rear inside) which made the already blown suspension that much worse. I was bouncing all over the road but figured it was not so bad until my wife who was trailing me ran out after we stopped saying "I thought you were going to tip over!!" I complained and got a discount. When I moved back, they up graded me a larger truck. Cool, exept the blown tranny I discovered while on the highway. 0-55 (55 no thanks to the governor) in about 2 minutes, going up hill 55-15 in about 10 seconds. I will never do Uhaul again.

LivinMyDream

pilot
Penske is great: if you don't have a AAA membership, get one and use it for a discount on the rental. It will more than pay for itself with the 15% you save. Scoober, when do your orders have you out of CC? I heard you were leaving AFTER Christmas, and then off to SERE--is this correct?

SnipeDude

Cleveland Brown Fan
When I was dropping off my U-Haul trailer after my last move I noticed the registration was a year overdue.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
Just completed my paperwork (SmartWebMove) and the stop at the personal property office.

There was a change to the government move insurance program. As of 1 NOV 07, any PCS move within CONUS...and some others as well...qualify for free, no cost, FULL REPLACEMENT VALUE INSURANCE!

For those of you who may not have moved in the past, this is a huge time/hassle and moneysaver. The FRV insurance that they used to offer, was via a third party insurer. As such, it cost extra, ususally a couple hundred bucks...was a pain in the ass to file claims with and was not responsible to a military oversight as the PPO is.

This is a huge, more customer friendly improvement. Just wanted to make you all aware.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
Just some comments after picking up and loading the Penske truck. So far so good....The truck is one year old (2007) model year International 460. It has...wait for it....a CD player and cruise control.:eek: For those of you wondering why I am excited about this...rent from Uhaul...you will find out. The truck is clean, has no damage and runs well.

Empty, I was getting about 13 mpg or so. Updates to follow.

SO LONG TEJAS!

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
I chose uhaul because the quote was cheaper than Penske and I had to arrange it kind of last minute. Truck was OK, but steering was all jacked up. I pretty much had the wheel turned to 11 oclock to stay straight or even during slight right bends all the way to corpus.