• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Penske Truck Rental

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
You could check out the cost of renting one of the smaller moving trucks and a car trailer ... might be cheaper than Uhaul trailer alone. Then again, if you have a super man-truck a car trailer might be out of the question.

FlyBoyd

Out to Pasture
pilot
You could check out the cost of renting one of the smaller moving trucks and a car trailer ... might be cheaper than Uhaul trailer alone.

+1

Do the math it could work out.

You basically do a partial DITY every move anyways. Why not do one for real and make sure you get paid. Maybe this option allows you to hand carry some of the stuff you worry about too.

FWIW, I set up a partial DITY every time so if I end up hauling some crap unexpectedly I can get paid. If you don't use it..no big deal.

pourts

former Marine F/A-18 pilot & FAC, current MBA stud
pilot
You could check out the cost of renting one of the smaller moving trucks and a car trailer ... might be cheaper than Uhaul trailer alone. Then again, if you have a super man-truck a car trailer might be out of the question.

I am pretty sure there's no way its cheaper. I think the trailer rental from Pcola to Corpus was under $200. I just did a quick check online and a Corpus to Pcola rental for the largest trailer (6'x12')was only $100. I had no problems with the two times I have rented Uhaul Trailers, but they have less moving parts (haha) than a truck or van.

Pretty sure Uhaul is the only one that does trailers for one way moves.

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
I am pretty sure there's no way its cheaper. I think the trailer rental from Pcola to Corpus was under $200. I just did a quick check online and a Corpus to Pcola rental for the largest trailer (6'x12')was only $100. I had no problems with the two times I have rented Uhaul Trailers, but they have less moving parts (haha) than a truck or van.

Pretty sure Uhaul is the only one that does trailers for one way moves.

Roger that, just thought I would throw it out there.

I can tell you this, my move from Corpus to SD with a big ol moving truck plus a car trailer was cheaper by almost $300 than a 6'x12' trailer from UHaul from WA to Pcola 2 years ago.

Side note ... holy shit, I used to be able to fit everything my wife and I had into the back of my truck and a 6'x12' trailer ... now it takes a 27' truck ... :eek: It's amazing what a rugrat and 3 years of marriage can do to your "luggage" ;) Life is good. :D

SQUIDutah

pilot
Used U-Haul from Salt Lake to San Diego. Overheated 50% of the trip and they could have cared less.

Used Penske from San Diego to Rhode Island: Awesome. Had someone steal my gas cap in Penn, and chain broke on my car tow... and the turn in joint gave me 20% off for my trouble... ???

No contest.

SnipeDude

Cleveland Brown Fan
Has anyone ever tried hiring movers to load their rental truck for a DITY move, e.g. movinglaborbrokers.com?

SH-60OB

pilot
I've done 2 Dity Moves in the past year and have one more next week. While I prefer penske or budget for a one way rental, I am sold on uhaul's "moving help". They are basically independent contractors who use uhaul to get business.

The first time I used them I set it up from the truck about 2 hours out from my destination. I rolled in to the parking lot and I had a crew there 30 minutes later. Had truck fully unloaded in about an hour.

Last time I had a local move of about 2 miles. Used the service to get a crew to load and unload. Set that one up online where you can look at different offers and read reviews etc.. Again no complaints.

https://www.movinghelp.com/Default.aspx

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
Has anyone ever tried hiring movers to load their rental truck for a DITY move, e.g. movinglaborbrokers.com?
I just did. I used the people referred by the Uhaul website although I used a Penske truck. Make sure you have everything boxed and positioned for the truck before the help shows up. I used them only for my heavy furniture. Make sure you micromanage them or else they will in fact stand, stare, and tell you that your shit is not going to all fit in the truck while getting their tape measure out to take "readings". Gimme a freaking break....it's not rocket science, and your help is certainly not going to be a rocket scientist.. Put the boxes in first, pack them to the ceiling, and try to have similar sized ones for the packing evolution. Then have the odd shaped stuff put in. Do not waste space going to the ceiling. 2 guys at 2 hours to load a 26' truck is sufficient. 2 guys at 3 hours to unload. Remember....micromanage....the practice will come in handy once you are an O-4:D

While I prefer penske or budget for a one way rental, I am sold on uhaul's "moving help". They are basically independent contractors who use uhaul to get business.
Get the truck online at penske.com 222 is the code for AAA discount if you have AAA...cough cough. Use the Uhaul website to find the hired help.(read reviews about the help)

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
Great thread. I'm moving from Jax to Whidbey and was wondering what the best way would be? A lot of you guys seem to recommend a partial DITY but I was hoping to make the maximum amount of money and do a full DITY with towing my car on a trailer. Unfortunately, Penske doesn't seem to have a car trailer that can carry my 5k lb car and UHaul seems to have less than desirable reviews. Any other suggestions? Or would it be better to just load my car up with what I can and have the Navy move the big stuff?

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Great thread. I'm moving from Jax to Whidbey and was wondering what the best way would be? A lot of you guys seem to recommend a partial DITY but I was hoping to make the maximum amount of money and do a full DITY with towing my car on a trailer. Unfortunately, Penske doesn't seem to have a car trailer that can carry my 5k lb car and UHaul seems to have less than desirable reviews. Any other suggestions? Or would it be better to just load my car up with what I can and have the Navy move the big stuff?

If I'm not mistaken, if you're moving, you can ship a car and deduct that as moving expenses off your taxes at the end of the year.

As for Penske trucks, I wouldn't use anything different. Multiple coast-to-coast moves and I've yet to have any problems and the trucks are pretty nice and always in good shape.

robp0105

You can deduct auto shipping, but you should be careful to follow the IRS guidelines on what is deductible. As a former tax preparer, they have some very specific rules on moving expense deductions, so be careful.

While your chances of being audited may be small, the last thing you want to worry about is one of those wonderful IRS notices popping up in your mailbox when you have lots of other stuff to occupy your time.

Here's a link to the IRS website publication 3 specifically dealing with the armed services. Look for "Moving Expenses" about a quarter of the way down the page:

http://www.irs.gov/publications/p3/ar02.html#en_US_publink100095972

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
Thanks for the replies. I think I'll just do a partial DITY since it really is the best of both worlds. I don't have that much to move
so my profit will be small and the ease and flexibility are nice.

LazersGoPEWPEW

4500rpm
Contributor
Another vote for Penske here. I actually called them on the phone and got a lower quote than what I found on their website. Everything went really smoothly with my move.