• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Pensacola Time

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
So 26 months and 3 PCS's to get your Wings of Gold, correct?

Is that fairly consistent amongst those that track to helicopters, fighters, or heavies?
I was 17½ months from commissioning (OCS, when it was right across the street from API) to wings and I started the FRS a month or two after that. This was exceptionally fast when I went through (and purely by circumstances and dumb luck). Out of my FRS class of six, one guy commissioned a few months before me (and did Primary in Corpus Christi, so round trip PCS moved or him) and the other four were 26 months from commission to wings.

I know you've asked probing questions on here about the chaos and inefficient nature of naval flight training. Those are good questions and your intuition is correct.

Not to knock on naval flight training either- both of the places where we have primary training have a lot of weather days that we have to work around by either delaying a flight, adapting the plan during the flight, or outright canceling. I think for budding aviators to experience that, it's intangible but priceless- much better than learning to fly in a location with 360 clear days a year. But it does come at a cost, and we don't help ourselves any when we pile on it with spare parts shortages, shortchanging instructor manning, and a few other self-inflicted challenges.

Me So Hornet

SNA PRO-REC-Y / OCS 14AUG2022
Currently going on 36+ months and 4 PCS's and not winged yet which is pretty normal for my community.

Is that for fighters?

Side question for fighters - if you go to Corpus Christi for primary, do you not normally get Kingsville for intermediate/advanced?

FLGUY

“Technique only”
pilot
Contributor
Is that for fighters?

Side question for fighters - if you go to Corpus Christi for primary, do you not normally get Kingsville for intermediate/advanced?
On your primary dream sheet you’ll put either Jets kingsville or Jets meridian for your jet selection. Can’t put both. Or at least that’s how it was when I was in corpus.

Python

pilot
Contributor
Jet pipeline (2009-2011)
API-a few months
Primary in Corpus-about a year (broken T-34s)
Advanced in Meridian-about a year

Put on wings about 4 months after putting on O-2

@HuggyU2

RoarkJr.

Jet pipeline (2009-2011)
API-a few months
Primary in Corpus-about a year (broken T-34s)
Advanced in Meridian-about a year

Put on wings about 4 months after putting on O-2

@HuggyU2
Damn, I put on O-2 and hadn’t even had my first flight in the T-6. TBS and all but still.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
However, for those keeping up with flight school shenanigans on par with legends like the bird sanctuary shooters, the lead ensign, princess Melanie, and the Disneyworld meltdown…

I hear you can cut down your time to wings by just staging your own winging ceremony before completion of the pesky syllabus and hashtag the shit out of it on instaface.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
However, for those keeping up with flight school shenanigans on par with legends like the bird sanctuary shooters, the lead ensign, princess Melanie, and the Disneyworld meltdown…

I hear you can cut down your time to wings by just staging your own winging ceremony before completion of the pesky syllabus and hashtag the shit out of it on instaface.

Only if you are stunning and brave.