• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Pensacola - Cultural Mecca

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
It's all relative......
Absolutely!!

It really cracks me up when I hear you boys griping and moaning about the "cultural amenities" of P-Cola and such ... as a big day of shopping for us was K-Mart
out by Saufley Field. I kid you not -- it was brand new then and represented the ONLY place to shop for household domestics save the Exchange at Mainside. Times were very different ...

Here's a mental exercise for the whiners: drop back in time @ 40 years ... and then throw Meridian, Kingsville, and Beeville into the "culture" mix. :eek::D

Without the few "safe" local townie-bars, the beaches, and O'Club animal bars ... and the ability to get away for an hour while airborne ... we wouldn't have survived the "cultural experience". :)

pourts

former Marine F/A-18 pilot & FAC, current MBA stud
pilot
gym is horrible, traffic is the worst i've scene on a base.

Wrong, the Corpus gym is better than both Pcola gyms. Its smaller, but they use space more efficiently. It always blows my mind that there is so much space at the new Pcola gym but they only have 2 benches. For christ's sake the Corpus one has 4 benches. Also, there are fewer patrons in Corpus than Pcola.

And the traffic off base is much worse in Pcola.

LazersGoPEWPEW

4500rpm
Contributor
Absolutely!!

It really cracks me up when I hear you boys griping and moaning about the "cultural amenities" of P-Cola and such ... as a big day of shopping for us was K-Mart
out by Saufley Field. I kid you not -- it was brand new then and represented the ONLY place to shop for household domestics save the Exchange at Mainside. Times were very different ...

Here's a mental exercise for the whiners: drop back in time @ 40 years ... and then throw Meridian, Kingsville, and Beeville into the "culture" mix. :eek::D

Without the few "safe" local townie-bars, the beaches, and O'Club animal bars ... and the ability to get away for an hour while airborne ... we wouldn't have survived the "cultural experience". :)

Ahhhh Saufley Field. Where I swore in and home to a minimum security prison. How things change. My grandpa flew out of there in the 50s.

DevilDog9782

Wrong, the Corpus gym is better than both Pcola gyms. Its smaller, but they use space more efficiently. It always blows my mind that there is so much space at the new Pcola gym but they only have 2 benches. For christ's sake the Corpus one has 4 benches. Also, there are fewer patrons in Corpus than Pcola.

I agree about the Radford gym in Pensacola. That is the worst new gym I've seen. Two benches and then up until recently no straight pull up bars on a base with thousands of Marines? Whoever designed the gym seemed to think from more of a wife/family gym as it is not friendly towards the military crowd.

As far as Pensacola being any kind of cultural Mecca, what a joke. I'm from the city though so maybe this is what they consider a cultural community down south? - Besides the military, all I see are hicks.

armada1651

Hey intern, get me a Campari!
pilot
You people bitching about Pensacola are ridiculous. If you hate it that much, I really think you're just not going to the right places. And compared to a lot of other places we'll end up (and especially a lot of places those in other branches of the military will end up), it's really not bad at all. I actually kind of like it.

And as far as advertisements, etc., what would you expect them to put on billboards? "Welcome to Pensacola, Sorry There's Not Much Going on Here"?

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
I don't see why people bitch so much about P'Cola, I loved that town. I had all of the fishing I could handle, the beaches were usable year-round, there was plenty of good food to be had, Five-Flags Speedway had great racing, and there was a good gun range within 20 minutes. What the fuck are you homo's whining about? Do you need a fucking art gallery? More Starbucks laden assholes wandering around trying to impress each other?

Pensacola may not be New York or Los Angeles...but it is still a great place to have fun. I think there are too many whiny bitches out there who can't enjoy what they have right in front of them and are always trying to knock a good thing. P'Cola rocks, Jax is even better, there is fun to be had in C.C., Enid, and even in places like K'Ville and Meridian...

Sack up, enjoy the Navy, move back to whatever hole you crawled out of when your obligation is done and then bitch about how much fun you had in the Navy and why it sucks being back in your hole of a town...
Pickle

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I grew up here and I'm happy to be back. You can't beat the beaches here, period, and as Navy towns go, it's pretty military-friendly.

And I came here from Norfolk, which makes any damn place look good by comparison. I hated that whole area.

Still, though...sometimes as I'm driving around I can't help but think, "Goddamn, this is a kinda dumpy little town".

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm not saying I hate Pensacola- there are a lot worse places to be, though I could say there are definitely better ones. I just think it's hilarious that someone would think it would make sense to label Pensacola a "cultural mecca."

lmnop

I think there are too many whiny bitches out there who can't enjoy what they have right in front of them and are always trying to knock a good thing.

Sack up, enjoy the Navy, move back to whatever hole you crawled out of when your obligation is done and then bitch about how much fun you had in the Navy and why it sucks being back in your hole of a town...
Pickle

Bullseye. I've been lucky enough to be stationed in some awesome places (Hawaii, Italy, etc), and in every case there were always dudes bitching about being stationed there. Go out exploring and odds are you can find things which you enjoy damn near anywhere. Except for Corpus, that place sucks!:D

docpup

What is another word for theaurus?
One point to be made with all the talk of P'Cola sucking.

The two best places you will ever be in the military are your last duty station and your next duty station...the current one ALWAYS sucks.

Hozer

Jobu needs a refill!
None
Contributor
I couldn't get the pack of wild dogs running around or the two mexicans fist fighting across the street in the front yard of a piece of shit trailer complete with a camaro on blocks.
Discuss.
Edit: I should note that I love P-cola!

1130081542rz8.jpg

LazersGoPEWPEW

4500rpm
Contributor
I hate those doggone circle magnets. WTF?! If you don't know what I'm talking about look at the above picture where it has the circle with Beautiful.

SnipeDude

Cleveland Brown Fan
Pensacola sucks! I hate it when towns try to be more than they are...why do they need to advertise anyways. No one is ever going to visit Pensacola for the opera.

BDCPCowboy

Raised in South Dakota. Went to college at the University of Wyoming. Need I say more. With signs like Welcome to Wyoming and Great Faces Great Places. Pcola and Texas both sound great to me. At least I could cling to a legit in-state football team at both the collegiate and professional level unlike SD/WYO we adopt teams. The grass is always greener...