• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Pensacola Apartments

Ezekiel

Falling, with style
None
Water, sewer, trash was included in the rent, so the only other utility was power which ran from $60 in cool months to about $80 in warm months when you need AC.

CUPike11

Still avoiding work as much as possible....
None
Contributor
I lived downtown in a 3 bed, 1 bath apartment with a backyard, 5 blocks from Palafox and 7 from Seville Quarter. I paid $600/month + utilities. I didnt have a dishwasher or garbage disposal and had to buy my own microwave and the living room was small, but hey, I lived downtown and loved it. I had awesome landlords as well too. There are quite a few gems out there like this, just have to look around...

AJB37

This. Don't judge the bama based on how it is now... it gets awesome in a couple months.

Plus right now I would kill to be able to hit downtown with only a 20 minute drive.

Exactly, the bama is awesome... plus without fail there will always be a bachelorette party there, usually consisting of southern sorostitutes.

SCard

I live in CountryWood right now.

Pluses:
-Close to NASP
-Well maintained
-Laundry in unit
-Cable + Internet included in rent
-Rent is $1050/mo for a 2 BR. Split it with a roomie and pocket the rest of your BAH. Or blow it on a new car if you need one.

Minuses:
-The walls are a bit thin and we have cranky neighbors that like to complain a lot to the managers. Maybe we were just being asshats but it was 830 on a Friday night.
-20 minutes from anything fun. Unless you count Wal-Mart as fun.

Seriously, there's some friggin awesome condos out towards perdido. Houses aren't a bad option either, as a lot of them are furnished already. Great option if you're SNA and only going to be around NASP for a few months.

Would you happen to know any good resources for finding furnished housing down that way? My husband is at OCS right now and we'll be heading to Pensacola afterwards. I have no clue where to start looking... I tried googling without many results.

FastMover

NFO
None
I lived at Countrywood for just over a year and would highly recommend it. The drive to base is unbeatable, management folks are great to deal with, apartments are nice, and Perdido Key isn't far off. I'd live there again in a heartbeat.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
I lived at Countrywood for just over a year and would highly recommend it. The drive to base for an NFO is unbeatable, management folks are great to deal with, apartments are nice, and Perdido Key isn't far off. I'd live there again in a heartbeat.

FIFY. If you're a single anchor type, commuting from Countrywood to Whiting would be near impossible and really stupid.

Vidofnir

Fly Delta Jets
pilot
Avalon has two gotchas:

1. You are actually pretty far from NASP (~30 minute commute)
2. You are even farther from Whiting, and their Military clause will not let you get out of the lease unless you explicitly move to base housing because Whiting is still within 30 miles.

Take it from me. I had to evoke the SCRA to convince them to let me go.

Angry

NFO in Jax
None
This could be a stupid question but I would appreciate the help - I'm a newly minted Ensign reporting to Pensacola in the next week. The welcome packet for API says bachelors with follow on orders to Whiting have to live in the BOQ and won't have the option of living off base, while those reporting to Pensacola with follow-on orders to other commands are free to live off base after speaking with the housing office. As an SNFO I will be staying at NASP for most of my training, so I should be able to acquire off-base housing, is that correct? I'd appreciate a confirmation or correction from someone whose been there/done that since I've been looking forward to living off base after escaping OCS.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
This could be a stupid question but I would appreciate the help - I'm a newly minted Ensign reporting to Pensacola in the next week. The welcome packet for API says bachelors with follow on orders to Whiting have to live in the BOQ and won't have the option of living off base, while those reporting to Pensacola with follow-on orders to other commands are free to live off base after speaking with the housing office. As an SNFO I will be staying at NASP for most of my training, so I should be able to acquire off-base housing, is that correct? I'd appreciate a confirmation or correction from someone whose been there/done that since I've been looking forward to living off base after escaping OCS.

While technically correct, unless something has changed recently, you'll get a "Govt Quarters Not Available" stamp at the BOQ when you report. That will allow you to live out in town.

NavAir42

I'm not dead yet....
pilot
My first trip through P-cola I lived out the back gate. Close to API. Close-ish to the beach but not that close. If the Florabama is the height of bars for you, then by all means, make that home. I'll keep the variety of Palafox as my prefered drinking location. If I had to do it over as a single student I would live downtown/East Hill area in a house with a couple buddies. The drive to NPA is manageable and Whiting is still do-able. Coming back VT instructors a lot of guys have moved to the 9th Ave/Scenic Hwy/East Hill area.

phrogpilot73

I lived in Creekside I & II apartments (1014 Creekside Court), AFTER I lived in the Lamplighter Apartments. Creekside was awesome. Don't know if it's a shithole or not now, but a 1 bed, 1 1/2 bath townhouse for $600/month? Winning!

DocT

Dean of Students
pilot
Palafox was definitely becoming the spot when I left a few years ago. I can only imagine it's even better now. I definitely second getting a house instead of the APT. You also want to live where you drink...and do alot of it. Flight school is fun. More fun that you think it is when you're going through it.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Would you happen to know any good resources for finding furnished housing down that way? My husband is at OCS right now and we'll be heading to Pensacola afterwards. I have no clue where to start looking... I tried googling without many results.

Don't bother looking for furnished places; you're much better off going unfurnished and finding a furniture-rental company. Quality of furniture will be same or better (what you get in a furnished place is invariably used and shitty), you at least get some selection, and price will be much better. And anyway, there just aren't that many places that do furnished anymore.

MasterBates

(what you get in a furnished place is invariably used and shitty), you at least get some selection, and price will be much better. And anyway, there just aren't that many places that do furnished anymore.

Hey, I actually have decent furniture in my rental (it's my stuff, and less than 14 months old)