• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Pensacola Apartments

Daniel M

Is anyone familiar with any of the following apartment complexes:

CountryWood at Blue Angel
Landing at Pensacola Condimuniums
Fairfield Lakes
Avalon Apartments
AustinWood

I have OCS classmates at the last two but haven't been able to talk to them to see if they have put eyes on them yet. Anybody familiar with these or know someone?

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I lived in AustinHood in the VT's ('01-'02) and again my first year back as an instructor ('07). Maint is suffering, they don't seem to be spending the money to keep it up. I'd look elsewhere.

Get a roomie or two, and there's a shitpot of houses and condos for rent in P'cola. No reason to go the apartment route.

Th3HumbleMuffin

Blunt-force method
I live in CountryWood right now.

Pluses:
-Close to NASP
-Well maintained
-Laundry in unit
-Cable + Internet included in rent
-Rent is $1050/mo for a 2 BR. Split it with a roomie and pocket the rest of your BAH. Or blow it on a new car if you need one.

Minuses:
-The walls are a bit thin and we have cranky neighbors that like to complain a lot to the managers. Maybe we were just being asshats but it was 830 on a Friday night.
-20 minutes from anything fun. Unless you count Wal-Mart as fun.

Seriously, there's some friggin awesome condos out towards perdido. Houses aren't a bad option either, as a lot of them are furnished already. Great option if you're SNA and only going to be around NASP for a few months.

Picaroon

Helos
pilot
This time of year you can get a furnished condo on the beach in Perdido Key for a reasonable price. I lived in one that had a balcony overlooking the ocean, 15 minutes from the back gate.

Wudgles

Cause I am most ill and I'm rhymin' and stealin'
pilot
I lived out in Avalon. It's way the hell away from both Milton, Pcola, NASP, and Brodido. Apartments are nice, but you'll bleed money in cab fare and gas. Go live by the back gate and enjoy the beach.

mid1510

I lived out in Avalon. It's way the hell away from both Milton, Pcola, NASP, and Brodido. Apartments are nice, but you'll bleed money in cab fare and gas. Go live by the back gate and enjoy the beach.

I was looking into Country Wood myself..that's considered back gate right?

On the phone they of course sold it as the best place for a flight student to live. Is the back gate really far from the bars/fun?

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
I was looking into Country Wood myself..that's considered back gate right?

On the phone they of course sold it as the best place for a flight student to live. Is the back gate really far from the bars/fun?

Back gate to downtown is a good 20mins.

Ezekiel

Falling, with style
None
I lived in Landings at Pensacola for my wonderful time in A-Pool, IFS and API.

The management is friendly and individual units have nice appliances/counters/etc. You also really can't beat the commute unless you live at the BOQ. Even during high volume times at the gate it was no more than 7 minutes door to door. Even after adding cable and power, rent is still a little below BAH. I think they also had a separate building a little up the road that was even a little cheaper.

They don't have many two-bedroom units though, so you may have to cover the whole rent yourself.

Daniel M

Appreciate the replies. I considered going the house/condo route but when I contacted my OCS classmates they had already went apartment plus I like the idea of having a place sorta all to myself (if you don't count thin walls). The Landings and CountryWood sound like best bets if I can't team up with someone to rent a house or condo. Thank you all for assistance and if anyone has anything additional to add I'm open to it

Daniel M

@Th3HumbleMuffin what is an estimate of utilities cost per month outside the rent e.g. electric, water etc. for CountryWood

likewise @Ezekiel

Picaroon

Helos
pilot
You don't need to go downtown if you live out the back gate. All you need is the world famous Flora-bama
This. Don't judge the bama based on how it is now... it gets awesome in a couple months.

Plus right now I would kill to be able to hit downtown with only a 20 minute drive.

CumminsPilot

VA...not so bad
pilot
I lived out the back gate for 10 months. I'd trade my left nut to have lived downtown. Drive to base is IDENTICAL, but the lifestyle downtown is infinitely better. Pay more, live with a roommate if you must, but live within walking distance of Palafox.

Th3HumbleMuffin

Blunt-force method
Water: $50-70 due to laundry/dishwasher

Electric: $100-120 with two tvs/xboxes/desktop computers + dryer. Also heat is electric, although we barely use it. Oh, and that's A/C too. Bear in mind its like ~60 degrees Nov/Dec/Jan, so low utility use.

20 minutes from fun either way isn't bad, really. Cabs are dirt cheap here if you grab a few buddies, and since when are you sober enough to care how long a cab ride is?

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
The Bama is an acquired taste, no doubt. I'm not a fan. On my second round of PCola, I haven't been nor would I want to. I've found much cooler places for my tastes. To each their own.