• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

pen cover

goplay234

Hummer NFO
None
Yeah, we wear torso harnesses. Even with no ejection seat, that's how we strap into the aircraft. It also connects us to the parachute that's probably not going to work when I jump out of the aircraft. BTW, the E-2 RAG still uses SV-2's for their students. Oh, and has anyone seen the new flight suits that look like hazmat outfits? Those need to get worked on. Talk about sweating up a storm...Never worn a g-suit but add that to the new flight suit, I am guessing it would be pretty nasty.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
As warfighter liaison for NAVAIR AIR-4.6 who is intimately involved in developing or fixing everything that touches your body including seats, I will pass on all your comments. Please keep them coming, the folks in white lab coats really do care and like feedback. I'll also extend an open invitation to anyone that wants to visit the labs and talk directly to the folks there.

HJ:

Please pass the following:

1) I want my old boots back. I do not suffer from "foot fatigue", whatever that is. I'll admit the new brown boots are OK. Right now I'm wearing Bates (with the non-FOD free sole........I know, I know).

2) The Airsave sucks (for TACAIR) mainly because of the Kochs. I wrote 2 HAZREPs (which I'm sure they have; from VMAT-203) attesting to incidents where they either weren't strapped in (when they thought they were) or they came undone in flight. The fabric was fouling the coupling. Supposedly they had a TD to fix it. Reality is that it still sucks.

3) Please don't screw with the flight suit. We seem to be back to "the old one" (no tampon pockets) and material that doesn't ball up. I have a few of each.

4) Not a fan of the Combat edge mask, but to be honest about it, I haven't flown it yet. Don't want to, either.

5) On the positive side, the earphone connector (O2 hose to helmet) that is a coil (vice long straight cord) was probably the best new piece of gear that they ever came up with for the money. The old one used to get caught on my left Koch all the time. Very good move on their part.

Thanks! I'll take you up on the meeting if I'm ever in Va. I have the first round.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
HJ:

Please pass the following:

1) I want my old boots back. I do not suffer from "foot fatigue", whatever that is. I'll admit the new brown boots are OK. Right now I'm wearing Bates (with the non-FOD free sole........I know, I know).

2) The Airsave sucks (for TACAIR) mainly because of the Kochs. I wrote 2 HAZREPs (which I'm sure they have; from VMAT-203) attesting to incidents where they either weren't strapped in (when they thought they were) or they came undone in flight. The fabric was fouling the coupling. Supposedly they had a TD to fix it. Reality is that it still sucks.

3) Please don't screw with the flight suit. We seem to be back to "the old one" (no tampon pockets) and material that doesn't ball up. I have a few of each.

4) Not a fan of the Combat edge mask, but to be honest about it, I haven't flown it yet. Don't want to, either.

5) On the positive side, the earphone connector (O2 hose to helmet) that is a coil (vice long straight cord) was probably the best new piece of gear that they ever came up with for the money. The old one used to get caught on my left Koch all the time. Very good move on their part.

Thanks! I'll take you up on the meeting if I'm ever in Va. I have the first round.

Outstanding inputs!! Labs are at Pax River, but we can drink beer in Tidewater area or Pax. I bounce back between both continuously. Cheers, HJ

Vino

At least in my command you can choose to have it integrated or not. . . .
Do you know students you have it integrated at TRW-1? I "might" almost prefer 1 thing versus 2.

Where is this "clearing valve" you speak of on the Combat Edge? I can't Valsalva in that to save my soul
Your "supposed" to be able to press the on the right side of the mask, the flexy rubber part, and cut off the outflow valve, blow out with your nose, and pop your ears. I prefer the "jam your fingers in the soft plastic upper" technique, but....

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Do you know students you have it integrated at TRW-1? I "might" almost prefer 1 thing versus 2.
I know of a few "who" have it integrated and they seem to wish they hadn't, because the Kochs pop out. This isn't a biggie without it integrated as you will put them back in the next time you suit up. With it integrated, apparently it's a pain to fix. YMMV.

Your "supposed" to be able to press the on the right side of the mask, the flexy rubber part, and cut off the outflow valve, blow out with your nose, and pop your ears. I prefer the "jam your fingers in the soft plastic upper" technique, but....

Ok, heard of that first technique too, but haven't been too successful at replicating it on the ground. Luckily I seem to be doing just fine so far by moving my jaw around and yawning. My nose is shaped wrong to be able to valsalva conventionally. I could barely do it w/ two thumbs in the old mask.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Outstanding inputs!! Labs are at Pax River, but we can drink beer in Tidewater area or Pax. I bounce back between both continuously. Cheers, HJ

Sounds like an interesting visit. Maybe I'll need gas up there some time soon. I think it's interesting that seat cushions usually always end up on the top ten list, yet nothing ever changes. On the helo side, we still go the crappy foam seats that would wear out after about a months worth of use. Of course they'd then get used for another couple of months until a new one would come in. I've written them up in the past. "System/Reason: Sore Ass."

Actually, I'm mistaken. The T-34 did get a new cushion set up sometime between 2000 and 2005. I remember seeing a message about the problems at some point in the fleet. Unfortunately, what they went with isn't any better.

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I wish the Navy would buy off on the CEP ear pieces, this would be the biggest advance in hearing preservation that the Navy ever did for aircrew. I've had them since they were brought into the S-3 Community and I still wear them today. I think I'm the only one in C-2's to have them. They do the best job in keeping the aircraft noise out and provides comms that I can always hear. I can hardly even hear the engines when in flight. NAVAIR needs to visit www.cep-usa.com

Oh and I'll take you up on the group visit too!

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
By "buy off" what do you mean? They are in the system, so just curious if you meant something more than that. I've even seen someone (the XO) actually get their hands on them, too.

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
By "buy off" what do you mean? They are in the system, so just curious if you meant something more than that. I've even seen someone (the XO) actually get their hands on them, too.

CEP-USA doesn't list an NSN for the fixed wing helmet version so I didn't think they were in the system (helo helmet version does have an NSN). But I guess by buy off I mean promote them for widespread use beyond the Helo community (who they were designed for I believe). The S-3 got them only because we had a new radio system that had quieter than usual radios that made it hard to hear comms.

I think they are very good but each command I have been in since the S-3's seems to have problems finding them in the system and funding them. The few who I know have them had to order & pay for it themselves. Seems like it would be a no brainer for hearing conservation reasons, improved comms and stopping the need to buy foamies by the truckload.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Gotcha. DIdn't realize there would be a difference. I understand the funding issue. It's amazing how stingy the MCO can be. :)

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
CEP-USA doesn't list an NSN for the fixed wing helmet version so I didn't think they were in the system (helo helmet version does have an NSN). But I guess by buy off I mean promote them for widespread use beyond the Helo community (who they were designed for I believe). The S-3 got them only because we had a new radio system that had quieter than usual radios that made it hard to hear comms.

I think they are very good but each command I have been in since the S-3's seems to have problems finding them in the system and funding them. The few who I know have them had to order & pay for it themselves. Seems like it would be a no brainer for hearing conservation reasons, improved comms and stopping the need to buy foamies by the truckload.
You might be interested in this:
Logistics Tail: The Mini-CEP requires no aircraft modification. Mini-CEPs are integrated into the existing rotary and fixed wing helmets and add <1oz. to the helmet. The Mini-CEP mod kits cost about $120 each and include assorted earplug sizes and fitting instructions. Training manuals and videos are also available. The Mini-CEP comm is wired in parallel with the existing helmet communication system, which continues to work even if the Mini-CEP fails.

Analyst’s Note: The Mini-CEP has only recently been authorized for use. The change authorizing it for use is IRAC 20 to NAVAIR 13-1-6.7-3 (NAVAIR MSG 171923Z MAR 05). This message provides the ordering infomation your PRs need to get this new earplug for you. If you need a copy of the message, check the NavAir State of the Art Survival Items webpage, under “Messages 2005.” For more information, contact your local aeromedical safety officer (AMSO). – Lt. Greg Ostrander, aeromedical analyst at the Naval Safety Center.

From: http://www.safetycenter.navy.mil/aviation/articles/earplug.htm

Pags

N/A
pilot
Oh, and has anyone seen the new flight suits that look like hazmat outfits? Those need to get worked on. Talk about sweating up a storm...Never worn a g-suit but add that to the new flight suit, I am guessing it would be pretty nasty.
Are those the CBW flight suits? The one with a charcoal layer or something like that in it? A guy who just left our squadron apparently had to wear one for awhile. he wasn't a fan.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Are those the CBW flight suits? The one with a charcoal layer or something like that in it? A guy who just left our squadron apparently had to wear one for awhile. he wasn't a fan.

There was lots of discussion on getting those things. Big deal made about getting everyone's size and sending it off because we'd need them "real soon." Yeah, never saw them. I can't imagine them being fun to be in.

Pags

N/A
pilot
There was lots of discussion on getting those things. Big deal made about getting everyone's size and sending it off because we'd need them "real soon." Yeah, never saw them. I can't imagine them being fun to be in.

A buddy of mine in the CG sent me a pic of himself in some sort of bright orange insulated looking flightsuit. Any clue what that is?