• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

pen cover

pdx

HSM Pilot
The AF guys are required to, the feel the prospect of hooking it on something important is more dangerous than FOD, the real question is, for god sakes who still has that stupid left leg flap on AND, the tampon string to prove it.

That is where I keep my knife. And BTW, everything is tied in with one of those strings.

The real reason the AF cuts stuff off their flight suits has nothing to do with functionality and everything to do with culture, tradition, and homosexuality.

I had an AF instructor tell me a story that goes like this: The AF used to have flight suits without a flap or knife pocket. Then the DoD decided that all services could use the same flight suits. These suits were the Navy style (with pocket and flap), which pissed off the AF. Therefore, they decided to cut them off.

To me, it sounds like one of those stories that is too simple and logical, and therefore a fabricated explanation. I figure somebody just decided to do it oneday, and it caught on.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
I had an AF instructor tell me a story that goes like this: The AF used to have flight suits without a flap or knife pocket. Then the DoD decided that all services could use the same flight suits. These suits were the Navy style (with pocket and flap), which pissed off the AF. Therefore, they decided to cut them off.

To me, it sounds like one of those stories that is too simple and logical, and therefore a fabricated explanation. I figure somebody just decided to do it oneday, and it caught on.

Yeah, that sounds like BS. All of the other issued flight gear is different, why couldn't they get different flight suits? Actually, their flight suits ARE different, they come with all of the Velcro sewn on t in he shapes of the odd shaped AF patches.

Not to mention different flight suits have different pocket arrangements.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Didn't the AF test some really weird design of flight suit awhile back with "real" pockets on the sides and two different zippers on the front?

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
Didn't the AF test some really weird design of flight suit awhile back with "real" pockets on the sides and two different zippers on the front?

I read over on Baseops that they were coming out with a new flight suit soon.

Pags

N/A
pilot

When on a mid cruise I picked up a sh!tty old flightsuit that had these weird side zips about wear side pockets should be, but the zippers led to nowhere...behind the zips there was nothing but whatever you happen to like to wear underneath your flight suit. Kinda surprising the first time you tried to put your hands into your "pockets". It also had a pencil pocket on one of the legs, down by the ankle. when we had mids in the squadron, a couple of them managed to have a few of these oddities.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
When on a mid cruise I picked up a sh!tty old flightsuit that had these weird side zips about wear side pockets should be, but the zippers led to nowhere...behind the zips there was nothing but whatever you happen to like to wear underneath your flight suit. Kinda surprising the first time you tried to put your hands into your "pockets". It also had a pencil pocket on one of the legs, down by the ankle. when we had mids in the squadron, a couple of them managed to have a few of these oddities.

Those were the much hated "air force flight suits". They were made of a different type of fabric which made little balls of fuzz all over it when you washed them. They were cut differently, supposedly to accomodate females with wider hips. The "pockets" were supposedly so that females could access their tampon strings in them, but that's probably BS. All I know is that one day they showed up in the system and were universally hated from day 1. That's one of the reasons that I hold on to my old bags FAR past their useful life. Lots of bribing the FE guys to sew them up and keep them working.

Other "helpful" innovations that just showed up in the FE supply system that I (and most others) hate are the Frankenstein boots and the new survival vest. I wrote 2 HAZREPs on the vest alone. They interfere with the Koch fittings.

What I think I would like is the air force torso harness that you can strap around your legs at the last minute instead of walking around like a cripple prior to strapping in.

Oh, and I don't want one of those new O2 masks either. LEAVE MY SH!T ALONE!!!

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor

Concur - if it ain't broke... While the new vests are good in some ways, I have a hard time believing that NAVAIR did a thorough job testing them, especially WRT the Koch fittings.

Brett

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
Concur - if it ain't broke... While the new vests are good in some ways, I have a hard time believing that NAVAIR did a thorough job testing them, especially WRT the Koch fittings.

Brett

I think that the vast amount of testing, etc. on those things (and the boots, too) was done on Helo guys. I haven't heard much good about the new vests from anybody (except Brett). I'm holding onto my SV-2 with a death grip. I have the message stating that I can use it until it becomes unservicable. Stand the F by to the FE mech that sh!tcans mine in the interest of standardization.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor

I hate the new Airsave vests too. Such a PAIN IN THE A$$ to get the D-ring and Koch fittings through. Who thought this was a good idea?

Don't want the Combat Edge mask? I know I do... I hate my older mask.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
It's funny, because everything I've heard was that the CMU-33 was designed with TacAir in mind, and why it's an afterthought to try and get a HABD bottle wedged in there w/ armor, weapon, and all the goodies. Not saying that it is better for you guys, just what I've heard.

I knew you guys aren't supposed to have them, but on the helo side, we are authorized clips for the leg straps. They're the same type that's used on the backpack type parachutes. A bit big, but at least you don't have to shimmy into your vest when it's time. I had to do that for the first 3 months I had mine, and it's totally retarded looking. And yes, I laugh at the studs now who have to wear them.