• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

pen cover

pdx

HSM Pilot
A Marine came from Vance recently, and had his flaps cut off. When he turned his flight suit in for a minor repair, the paraloft guys also sewed a new flap back on. I guess they didn't think it was very cool.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
A Marine came from Vance recently, and had his flaps cut off. When he turned his flight suit in for a minor repair, the also sewed a new flap back on. I guess the paraloft guys didn't think it was very cool.

He's lucky they didn't just replace the whole thing. I HATE it when the FE guys try to gank one of my bags just when I've got it all broken in the way I like it and have the velcro where it needs to be. They keep telling me it's about fire retardant. Yeah, whatever.

Keep the FOD flap. Otherwise your CO/MO/QAO/DOSS will more than likely call you on it anyway and make you look like the "salty new guy", and not in a good way.

Vino

The AF guys are required to, the feel the prospect of hooking it on something important is more dangerous than FOD, the real question is, for god sakes who still has that stupid left leg flap on AND, the tampon string to prove it.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
The AF guys are required to, the feel the prospect of hooking it on something important is more dangerous than FOD, the real question is, for god sakes who still has that stupid left leg flap on AND, the tampon string to prove it.

I've used that "tampon string" so many times for stuff. Currently a piece of it holds my pencil to my kneeboard.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I've used that "tampon string" so many times for stuff. Currently a piece of it holds my pencil to my kneeboard.

Agreed. My Maglight lives in the pocket there and I've kept the string on "just in case." If SERE taught me anything, it's you can't have enough parachute cord...even if you aren't being chased by Russian rednecks with AKs.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

It was useless for us because it was under the G suit so it became part of our FNG initiation was to be first to yank it off the new guys' flight suits without warning in Ready Room. It's an art because you have to pull it hard and clean to get off in one pull. No style points for incomplete pull and no grade if you rip the flight suit in the process.

Kinda backfired when 3 helo bubbas came by the Ready Room and before they knew it, 3 flaps came off with a quick, smart ripping noise, followed by clatter of their knives falling out of the flap and bouncing across the floor still attached to their tampon strings. It was a tense standoff for awhile as they thought we were intentionally ruining their flight suits. I think the 3 "yankers" were on the double secret "No pick-up" or "Pick-up last" list after that.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
That list is far beyond the classification of this forum.:D

So it's not a rumor then! It there a "hoist and then dip" list (for eel/shark and other denizen-infested waters)?

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
So it's not a rumor then! It there a "hoist and then dip" list (for eel/shark and other denizen-infested waters)?

I cannot comment on the existence or non-existence of such a list.:D

However, to answer your question that procedure is appropriately called tea-bagging and it is taught in the RAG.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I cannot comment on the existence or non-existence of such a list.:D

However, to answer your question that procedure is appropriately called tea-bagging and it is taught in the RAG.

I knew helo guys were gay. Freakin teabaggers... :D