• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

P-8 Selection

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
The five choices for dreamsheets in Corpus, at present:
Jacksonville - VP (P8)
Jacksonville - VP (P3)
Whidbey - VP
Whidbey - VQ
Hawaii - VP
Granted, the recommendation is to not put Jax P3, because if you get Jax you'll be going P8, at least under current understanding.

They gave me the same line in Corpus back in 2007. "You'll be transitioning to P-8 before your first sea tour!"

That didn't so much happen, but I did spend 3 years in Hawaii (minus deployments. . .).

I consider that a good trade any day of the week.

MasterBates

Same line with the 60R.. Was told when I was selecting in the HTs "real good chance you'll do one B cruise, then transition to the R".

By the end of a 42 month tour, I had SEEN a R. At Pax River.

Is it very competitive now to go the maritime pipeline, now that the P-8 is out? I know I am way ahead of my time considering I must first make it through OCS, API, and Primary. Coming from the C-17 community I favor larger a/c and working with a crew. Flying the P-8 would be awesome but I still rather fly P-3s while there still in service.

KCOTT

remember to pillage before you burn
pilot
Is it very competitive now to go the maritime pipeline, now that the P-8 is out? I know I am way ahead of my time considering I must first make it through OCS, API, and Primary. Coming from the C-17 community I favor larger a/c and working with a crew. Flying the P-8 would be awesome but I still rather fly P-3s while there still in service.
i bet you after 10 minutes in a P-8 you won't want anything to do with a P-3

PropAddict

pilot
Contributor
i bet you after 10 minutes in a P-8 you won't want anything to do with a P-3

As much as I hate on that program for all it's problems and tactical ineptitude, it's a great truck. I don't know one guy (pilot or FO) who is willing to go back to P-3's after flying P-8's for even a short while.

The comment I keep hearing is, "You don't even realize how unsafe the P-3 is until you fly a P-8."

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
The comment I keep hearing is, "You don't even realize how unsafe the P-3 is until you fly a P-8."

Really now? Give me a break. When was the last P-3 class A due to a mechanical? I'll give you a hint. It was before most on this board were born.

There are lots of reasons we moved on and I have no doubt that the P-8 is better at nearly everything. Let's stick with that instead of fear mongering.

PropAddict

pilot
Contributor
C'mon, Scoob. You've been around this community long enough to know that we throw the Safety Flag up at any little hypothetical we can imagine, no matter how divorced from reality and empirical evidence it may be.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
C'mon, Scoob. You've been around this community long enough to know that we throw the Safety Flag up at any little hypothetical we can imagine, no matter how divorced from reality and empirical evidence it may be.

True, true...oh how I miss it. Wait, no. That was something else...:)

Moc1Sig

pilot
Contributor
words OCS 12-13.

12-13 are you not at OCS right now, I know a guy in 09-13 and hes about to graduate.

On the Thread, it seems to have sparked maybe a little competitive spirit to do well in advanced to get that coveted 168 million dollar P8 spot. I also have seen the spot not go to the person with the highest grades, but that was nearly 5 months ago and have not kept up who got what. Timing, Timing, Timing, just like anything else. I talked to some primary guy that wanted P8 was concerned they were going to send him jets, because of Needs and grades. I personally havent met anyone that changed their platform decision to marti-time just for the P8 though, most already wanted it for location, per diem and not wanting to be on a boat.

12-13 are you not at OCS right now, I know a guy in 09-13 and hes about to graduate.

On the Thread, it seems to have sparked maybe a little competitive spirit to do well in advanced to get that coveted 168 million dollar P8 spot. I also have seen the spot not go to the person with the highest grades, but that was nearly 5 months ago and have not kept up who got what. Timing, Timing, Timing, just like anything else. I talked to some primary guy that wanted P8 was concerned they were going to send him jets, because of Needs and grades. I personally havent met anyone that changed their platform decision to marti-time just for the P8 though, most already wanted it for location, per diem and not wanting to be on a boat.

I will be just find with the P-3 the lifestyle sounds great and I am more into larger airframes maritime would be my #1 choice. Honestly ill be alright with any platform the Navy puts me on with no problems or complaints.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I personally havent met anyone that changed their platform decision to marti-time just for the P8 though, most already wanted it for location, per diem and not wanting to be on a boat.
Ask not, what your Country can do for you...

You joined the Navy, they mainly ride around in boats!:rolleyes:
Honestly ill be alright with any platform the Navy puts me on with no problems or complaints.
Ask what you can do for your Country.

Roger that.:)
BzB

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot

Picking P-3s for nostalgia... not a good plan. I'm happy with my time in the P-3, it was awesome. Mostly because we had some awesome FEs that were a lot of fun to fly with. But given the choice I wouldn't choose P-3 over P-8, and I am beyond happy to get half a JO tour in the new hotness.

Moc1Sig

pilot
Contributor
I will be just find with the P-3 the lifestyle sounds great and I am more into larger airframes maritime would be my #1 choice. Honestly ill be alright with any platform the Navy puts me on with no problems or complaints.
So you are not at OCS? hard to tell anymore, when a friend called me and emailed me his third week of OCS. Sounds more like band camp with blue berry uniforms now. Not to mention the new Nemitz and private bathrooms