• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

P-3

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
My understanding has still been that the USAF was losing interest in the "beeps and squeaks" realm and instead focusing on stealth... the lesson learned from an F-117 being shot down by an Vietnam era SA-3 caused them to rethink that philosophy.

The Air Force is putting a big emphasis on stealth but they also do not want to have specialized aircraft that only do EA, they think it is a waste. They believe that a 'system of systems' that is placed on fighter, Attack, bomber and support aircraft will each carry EA and ECM sytems that will be seperate but the larger part of a whole architecture where they will complement each other too. Confused yet?

To put it in simpler terms: The USAF thinks internal aircraft systems (think super RHAW and ECM gear), combined with pods on other aircraft and datalinks will be a better system than the Prowler, EF-111, Wild Weasel and EA-18. They put the cart before the horse and this 'system of systems' is not in place yet and may never end up being put in place. Chalk it up to budget realities and the F-22 sucking up all the rest of the money left.

If you need any further evidence that that is the case I got the chance to talk to a 1stLT in the USAF at a conference I went to recently whose sole job was to help program the RHAW systems for the F-22. And he was a small fish very big, well funded and extensive office. I was staggered at the amount of support and info flowing in and out of his office, which he described at length in his brief. It made the ECMO in me a bit envious :icon_rage .

Falcaner

DCA "Don't give up the ship"
Hummm what I find funny about that is that they might have to decom the f-117 because their precious f-22 excuse me FA-22 is sucking up their entire budget!

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Hummm what I find funny about that is that they might have to decom the f-117 because their precious f-22 excuse me FA-22 is sucking up their entire budget!

It is back to being just the F-22, new Air Force Chief of Staff. Ironically the same one who is trying to bring in the funny new uniforms.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor

Now I'm not too privy on AF tactics and whatnot, but the F-117 seems to be somewhat "outdated" and the B-2/B-1 does a better job. I could be wrong (and probably am).

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Now I'm not too privy on AF tactics and whatnot, but the F-117 seems to be somewhat "outdated" and the B-2/B-1 does a better job. I could be wrong (and probably am).

They both serve their intended purposes well - we'll leave it at that. :D

Brett