• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Over my head in debt...

trackattack

I have roughly $30k in credit cards and haven't made a payment on those or my mortgage for a year. Needless to say i have creditors calling me everyday and foreclosure is coming soon. I really want to file for bankruptcy seeing as there is no other way out.
I was paying all my bills fine up until last year when some stuff came up and then just recently i lost my job so i'm currently unemployed.
So my question is if can i come in as an officer and be a pilot in the Navy? It's been a lifelong dream of mine, i'm also prior enlisted, but right after college some stuff happened that i couldn't control and put me in all this debt...:(

MasterBates

Debt is one thing. Being over a year behind? That's not gonna be good. It's not showing good fiscal responsibility.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Besides which, it's going to be tough going getting any kind of security clearance.

The Navy probably isn't going to give you a shot at the program just to help your credit report. Your best route is probably to re-enlist, make a serious commitment to getting your financial shit in one sock, and then apply for officer programs.

Good luck to you.

Lonestar155

is good to go
It doesn't hurt to try! If they say no then make correct decision. Do not re-enlist and wonder the rest of your time whether you could have been accepted. That is just my opinion.
Good luck

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Besides which, it's going to be tough going getting any kind of security clearance.

Reason being is you will be assessed as ripe for exploitation. You don't want to appear to be pursuing this path to solve your debt situation because it wil be a distraction until you fix it and make you a target for exploitation in eyes of those who evaluate you.

This will also come up in your interviews (or should). I have known several folks who suffered reverses and went the big B route and maintained clearances, but they addressed their issues and kept in contact with their creditors, If you have not (i.e. played Ostrich, then your chances are diminished).

RockyMtnNFO

None
Contributor
I am sorry to reiterate the naysaysers, but this is probably the #1 red flag for a security clearance. Most of the guys that have sold us out before did it for money and not an allegiance to any foreign nations. Shoot, you can even associate with domestic terrorists and spend time in Pakistan and get the highest level of clearance.

I have recently seen a guy denied wings and a clearance for declaring bankruptcy. He was a good guy but couldn't keep his money straight. He got out and had to run his cards up again.

Get your ducks in a row and then apply for officer programs.

R/

Steve

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
Security clearance wise, is there any difference between:

1. Someone who was in nasty debt, or declared bankruptcy and then a few years later is now good to go

2. Someone currently in debt/declaring bankruptcy

Basically, are you screwed if you were EVER in way over your head? Or is it primarily just the whole concept of someone being able to offer you money for info to get you out of debt...

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Basically, are you screwed if you were EVER in way over your head? Or is it primarily just the whole concept of someone being able to offer you money for info to get you out of debt...

The first might make them look askance at you for an officer program, and you can bet you'll be asked about it. Mitigating circumstances (very sick kid, grasping Manatee of an ex, etc) that are now resolved, for instance, would probably be okay. Mountain of debt due to gambling or whatever...definite red flag. Not a sign you're responsible enough to be an officer.

The real concern with the second, as heyjoe said, is that you're vulnerable for exploitation. Sure, comrade, we've all got money issues...why don't you let us help you fix them? Just bring us a copy of the red NATOPS for your plane and we'll leave a nice box of cash in your car.

danthaman

The right to keep and bear arms
You need to seriously check out the Dave Ramsey program and get enrolled in one of the classes in your area. He has a solid program that helps people get out of debt and then continue to live debt free. I took it and it changed my life. Debt is dumb, don't buy the lie. PM if you need any help.

http://www.daveramsey.com/

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
The first might make them look askance at you for an officer program, and you can bet you'll be asked about it. Mitigating circumstances (very sick kid, grasping Manatee of an ex, etc) that are now resolved, for instance, would probably be okay. Mountain of debt due to gambling or whatever...definite red flag. Not a sign you're responsible enough to be an officer.

The real concern with the second, as heyjoe said, is that you're vulnerable for exploitation. Sure, comrade, we've all got money issues...why don't you let us help you fix them? Just bring us a copy of the red NATOPS for your plane and we'll leave a nice box of cash in your car.

Makes sense

FlyBoyd

Out to Pasture
pilot
I have roughly $30k in credit cards and haven't made a payment on those or my mortgage for a year....I was paying all my bills fine up until last year when some stuff came up and then just recently i lost my job so i'm currently unemployed.

You need to seriously check out the Dave Ramsey program and get enrolled in one of the classes in your area. He has a solid program ...

http://www.daveramsey.com/

Dave Ramsey thrives on cases like yours. Contact his people and you may get the extra help you need.