• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Over my head in debt...

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Your profile leaves me asking are you a troll???

First and only post, too.

Join 2-1-09

About trackattack
Biography none
Location FL
Occupation pilot
Interests none
Latest News none

Time here on AW...none.

Quid pro quo....

trackattack

So is bankruptcy a big no no then? I'm trying not to declare it but the problem is i just don't make enough money at my former job. And now i'm unemployed. PLUS i have mountains of student loans to pay back.
I know that if i could get in the Navy i'd be making A LOT more money than what i am now and paying these things off would be no big deal. The only problem is trying to pay them off now.:confused:

wingsB4rings

Four fans of freedom, all day long
None
I have roughly $30k in credit cards and haven't made a payment on those or my mortgage for a year. Needless to say i have creditors calling me everyday and foreclosure is coming soon. I really want to file for bankruptcy seeing as there is no other way out.
I was paying all my bills fine up until last year when some stuff came up and then just recently i lost my job so i'm currently unemployed.
So my question is if can i come in as an officer and be a pilot in the Navy? It's been a lifelong dream of mine, i'm also prior enlisted, but right after college some stuff happened that i couldn't control and put me in all this debt...:(

Anyone making over $250,000 a year is about to single-handedly save you. Just stand by. You're savior has arrived at 1600 Pennsylvania Ave.

trackattack

Anyone making over $250,000 a year is about to single-handedly save you. Just stand by. You're savior has arrived at 1600 Pennsylvania Ave.

SWEET!!! lol No seriously. Hope you guys aren't judging me by this. I've always been very financially secure prior to last year. I hate it! And trust me i WILL NOT ever let this happen again!
And i SERIOUSLY want to get in the Navy. It's in my heart and i'll be devastated if this ruins my chances.

MasterBates

Being behind is one thing. NOT PAYING for a year (your words lead me to believe that you have not paid your credit cards OR mortgage $1 in a year) is a whole nother ballgame.

That's flown right past "had some problems" straight to "I'm completely irresponsible"

Making no payments in a year, when you obviously have computer and internet, shows you don't have your priorities straight.

Paying my mortgage/rent has always been a very close #2 behind eating.

wingsB4rings

Four fans of freedom, all day long
None
SWEET!!! lol No seriously. Hope you guys aren't judging me by this. I've always been very financially secure prior to last year. I hate it! And trust me i WILL NOT ever let this happen again!
And i SERIOUSLY want to get in the Navy. It's in my heart and i'll be devastated if this ruins my chances.

On a serious note, I'd first destroy/cut up every credit card you have right now (if you haven't already) and do not apply for any more. I'd re-enlist, spend 2-4 years living as frugal as possible, meaning whatever you don't spend on food or gas, you need to be throwing towards paying off your debt (I don't recommend ANY non-essential purchases at all). It won't be easy, and it will take extreme will power, focus, and discipline (all great qualities of the future officer/aviator you wish to become). This is a trying time for you, and if you can successfully overcome this huge hurdle, this will show a lot of people around you that you are capable of surmounting the impossible. Don't worry about the pilot dreams right this second...this ought to be your number one worry for the time being. If it's not, then I seriously wonder where your priorities lay.

Additional comments about becoming an officer: it's not out of reach, but you're really going to have to work for it now. You'll have to spend some time building a solid reputation as a worker/hard charger in the navy to prove that this "situation" is a one-time hiccup. Only then do I believe that you can turn things around and begin to write your own ticket. So, not impossible but a steep hill to climb.

PS-we have a 40 year old JO in our wardroom...proof that you're never too old apply for a commission. He enlisted in 1989, and was commissioned in 2002 at the age of 34.

trackattack

Being behind is one thing. NOT PAYING for a year (your words lead me to believe that you have not paid your credit cards OR mortgage $1 in a year) is a whole nother ballgame.

That's flown right past "had some problems" straight to "I'm completely irresponsible"

Making no payments in a year, when you obviously have computer and internet, shows you don't have your priorities straight.

Paying my mortgage/rent has always been a very close #2 behind eating.

Trust me when i say i have not bought any "non essential" items in the past year. I've been very good with the little money that i have had since then. I've also sold off almost all of my belongings. I have no furniture or tv in the family room. The only furiniture i own are my bedroom stuff and a dining room table. Everything else i sold. I have a pos $2k car. I'm not living with any kind of luxuries.

trackattack

On a serious note, I'd first destroy/cut up every credit card you have right now (if you haven't already) and do not apply for any more. I'd re-enlist, spend 2-4 years living as frugal as possible, meaning whatever you don't spend on food or gas, you need to be throwing towards paying off your debt (I don't recommend ANY non-essential purchases at all). It won't be easy, and it will take extreme will power, focus, and discipline (all great qualities of the future officer/aviator you wish to become). This is a trying time for you, and if you can successfully overcome this huge hurdle, this will show a lot of people around you that you are capable of surmounting the impossible. Don't worry about the pilot dreams right this second...this ought to be your number one worry for the time being. If it's not, then I seriously wonder where your priorities lay.

Additional comments about becoming an officer: it's not out of reach, but you're really going to have to work for it now. You'll have to spend some time building a solid reputation as a worker/hard charger in the navy to prove that this "situation" is a one-time hiccup. Only then do I believe that you can turn things around and begin to write your own ticket. So, not impossible but a steep hill to climb.

PS-we have a 40 year old JO in our wardroom...proof that you're never too old apply for a commission. He enlisted in 1989, and was commissioned in 2002 at the age of 34.

Well i know the cutoff age for pilots is 27, which i am. But i think being prior enlisted gets you another 2 or 4 years? So i have that to my advantage. But re enlisting isn't going to help me and will probably only hurt me. Once i get recalled back to my former employer i should be making "decent" money since i was only a few months away from getting a nice pay raise. But when that recall will be is who knows when...

trackattack

You need to seriously check out the Dave Ramsey program and get enrolled in one of the classes in your area. He has a solid program that helps people get out of debt and then continue to live debt free. I took it and it changed my life. Debt is dumb, don't buy the lie. PM if you need any help.

http://www.daveramsey.com/

I heard a lot about him. I'll check it out. Thanks!
I'd also like to add that back when i was enlisted i had ZERO debt. So i know that i know how to be smart with money. I just have to overcome what has already been done.

trackgain

If you're looking for the military to bail you out of debt, why not look into the Army. They are short people right now. Besides, you'll be in Afghanistan real soon, be making tax free/hazardous duty/combat pay and then you'll be able to put as much as you want into your debt.

Seriously, you don't just put in a package to become a Naval Officer just so you can get out of debt. Take the advice of others....get out of debt first and then if it is still what you want, put a package in.

trackattack

If you're looking for the military to bail you out of debt, why not look into the Army. They are short people right now. Besides, you'll be in Afghanistan real soon, be making tax free/hazardous duty/combat pay and then you'll be able to put as much as you want into your debt.

Seriously, you don't just put in a package to become a Naval Officer just so you can get out of debt. Take the advice of others....get out of debt first and then if it is still what you want, put a package in.

WHOA! What in the world are you talking about??? When did i ever say that i was considering the military just to get me out of debt??? I think you're confused.

In Pursuit

pilot
WHOA! What in the world are you talking about??? When did i ever say that i was considering the military just to get me out of debt??? I think you're confused.

Look, you're getting some damn good free advice from some bubbas that are kind enough to try to help. Quit being such a tool. You're the one that is "confused".

rugby mike

There are also programs that lower interest rates and forgive penalty fees if you enlist in the service, as long as those debts happened before becoming part of the military.

In my humble opinion, this may be one situation where enlisting first will help you control debt and then you can apply for a commission if that is your ultimate goal. I just can't see a board accepting someone who is not able to control their finances, even if there has been some extenuating circumstances.