• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Origin of the phrase "(pick your aircraft) driver"

jmcquate

Contributor
OK, I guess we'er going there. For all the Prowler guys, was "Queer" a real thing, and that all of EA-6B crews had female children?

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
For the OP, yes, it's a term but it's fallen out of disuse around naval aviation, at least with the people on here. Don't forget that one person's experience in naval air can be different from somebody in a different squadron, wing, coast, or community. Maybe the word will make a comeback, maybe it's still a thing in some places, maybe it not.

Pretty sure the origin is from the phrase "drive a car." Don't think too much into it.

It was great to see a thread get off track so quickly! I mean it was hardly even on the rails to being with, heh heh :cool:

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
OK, I guess we'er going there. For all the Prowler guys, was "Queer" a real thing, and that all of EA-6B crews had female children?

Wasn’t really a thing by the time I got to Whidbey in the late 90’s, by which time the Intruders and all the VA squadrons were gone leaving VAQ the only jet game in town. Prior to that, it was apparently a thing.

And no, plenty of boys among us Prowler crew.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Fixed that for you. The drivers you speak of are software-specific, and tell an OS how to communicate with a device. It's not a general engineering world concept. If you're interested in the software engineering world, it's one of the things I do, so let me know.
fVxuwdX.jpg

RobLyman

- hawk Pilot
pilot
None
OK..a serious answer (followed by a better answer). I use -hawk Pilot but I have used -hawk Driver because I have flown both Seahawks and Blackhawks. The medics in the back of our aircraft are more full of themselves than the worst pointy nose fliers. To them, we are just the ambulance drivers.
PilotsLookingDown.jpgPilotsLookingDown.jpg

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Fucking self-fellating douchebags...
(There were some good nuggets in there, but overall...)

You have no idea.

Anyone who introduces themself by a call sign at my current gig is usually followed up by me going ‘lemme guess, you flew f-xxteeners, right?’

Kernels, amiright?!