• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Origin of the phrase "(pick your aircraft) driver"

jointhelocalizer

pilot
Who says "driver"? I don't say it... people in my squadron don't say it... I have heard use of the term "driver", but not in a really long time, and almost exclusively from old F-14 guys.

Have they been rerunning Top Gun on Bravo or something?

We are called "Pilots". It's actually a $5 fine to say "Aircrew" in our (single seat) RR.
Seen it in some usernames here and heard it thrown around at the Academy a couple times (ex. He's a -60 Driver or a Rhino Driver)

Just surmised that it was used in the fleet on the regular. So much for MIDN wisdom.

Python

pilot
Contributor
Who says "driver"? I don't say it... people in my squadron don't say it... I have heard use of the term "driver", but not in a really long time, and almost exclusively from old F-14 guys.

We are called "Pilots". It's actually a $5 fine to say "Aircrew" in our (single seat) RR.

Same fine in my fleet squadron if you said “the a-word” or put it on a kneeboard card

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Driver seems to be more of an AF term. I’ve seen plenty of Viper, Eagle, Raptor, and Panther (tamer) driver patches floating around Nellis.

BarryD

Contributor
Seen it in some usernames here and heard it thrown around at the Academy a couple times (ex. He's a -60 Driver or a Rhino Driver)

Just surmised that it was used in the fleet on the regular. So much for MIDN wisdom.

They don't cover this in those pro-know books?
:D

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor

Pilots? Long ago when people asked my dad if he was a “navy pilot” he said that “pilots guide ships into ports and land on two-mile long runways. I am a naval aviator.”

robav8r

None
Contributor
ww
Nerd
STFU-Nerd
Fucktard
Why Do You Suck At Radios, It’s Literally All You Are Here To Do?
Chat Monkey
Self-loading baggage
Wasted Gas
Wow Pickle !!!! That is definitely some “off the top rope” stuff right there. Ah yes, the good ole VP days . . . . . thanks for the memories ?