• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Origin of the phrase "(pick your aircraft) driver"

jointhelocalizer

pilot
Hey all,

Tried doing some research on here and the Google machine, but I didn't get what I was looking for... or at least a credible answer. Just out of curiosity, why is the term "driver" used? Not saying it's weird or wrong or anything, just curious about the origin. My guess is that it was originally used facetiously because "driver" greatly oversimplifies what a pilot does and it eventually became part of the regular aviation vernacular, but that is only a guess.

Also, is there an analogous term for NFOs/other aviation designators and ratings? The only one I have heard was "scope," but that was when someone was saying someone was a "good scope" or the "top scope."

why is the term "driver" used?. Not saying it's weird or wrong or anything, just curious about the origin. My guess is that it was originally used facetiously because "driver" greatly oversimplifies what a pilot does... "

Another possibility is that a "driver" in the engineering world is a program used to operate a device (think downloading driver software to use a printer). Similarly, the "driver" in aviation instruction allows the pilot to operate their aircraft.

BarryD

Contributor
Another possibility is that a "driver" in the engineering world is a program used to operate a device (think downloading driver software to use a printer). Similarly, the "driver" in aviation instruction allows the pilot to operate their aircraft.
#tier1major

D

Deleted member 67144 scul

Another possibility is that a "driver" in the engineering software world is a program used to operate a device (think downloading driver software to use a printer). Similarly, the "driver" in aviation instruction allows the pilot to operate their aircraft.

Fixed that for you. The drivers you speak of are software-specific, and tell an OS how to communicate with a device. It's not a general engineering world concept. If you're interested in the software engineering world, it's one of the things I do, so let me know.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
Who says "driver"? I don't say it... people in my squadron don't say it... I have heard use of the term "driver", but not in a really long time, and almost exclusively from old F-14 guys.

Have they been rerunning Top Gun on Bravo or something?

We are called "Pilots". It's actually a $5 fine to say "Aircrew" in our (single seat) RR.