• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Order?

pdx

HSM Pilot
Wait....you can either do the run or swim for the navy prt? AWESOME I sawm competeively for 13 years..... If i start training again i think i might go sub 5 min on my 500 yard freestyle.. much easier for me than 1.5 miles

Not all commands offer the swim option (including OCS).

navychick

I am not sure if you are OCS, NROTC...but I know that in NROTC you have to pass the PRT with the run during your senior year to commission. All commands are different, for example, at mine our CO had everyone run the first one and only if you got an EL could you swim it the second time (which is what I did). In the end, just always be sure you can run it...

HUDcripple

pilot
Do you ever do your timed run on a tread mill?

If someone has to do a PRT on a ship they can use the treadmill, set to a 1 degree incline. (this balances the momentum advantage)

I've done 2 PRTs during port visits, and the re-test for the failures was on the treadmill

Circle K

pilot
OCS will make you run. Unless you have shin splints or something, not sure about ROTC/Academy

Academy is definately run only, nobody swims. There is a stationary bike PRT for certain athletes, but they must run their first semester PRT and their last semester PRT.

JIMMY

does anyone have a photo of what the "crunches" look like. i ask because technically, isnt there a difference between crunches and a sit-up? I just want to make sure im doing the right one.

this the right one?
i20Crunches.jpg

thx,

-jP

STLEngineer

pilot
Pretty sure the arms have to be across the chest... grabbing the other arms doesn't look right.

..." Participant shall start by lying flat on back with knees bent, heals about 10 inches from buttocks. Arms shall be folded across and touching the chest with hands touching upper chest or shoulders."

BigRed389

None
Yeah, those guys are using Marine situp standards.

Navy situps are actually harder IMO. Of course, you don't have to do as much of em.

JIMMY

That is the truth. I can run a ~10:30-11:00 by itself without much difficulty.

On PRT day, I go down to a 11:00-12:00 due to my thighs being a little jacked at the start.

Keep this in mind if you are marginal. If I max out PU/CU (esp CU) I will almost fail the run.

wow, i totally know waht you're talking about. Last night I did my own practice PRT, and it was the first time ive done everything together. I lost 2 minutes off my run (11:51). And my arms felt like bricks until about half way through when they finally loosened up again. Well... looks like ill be making some modifications to my workout routine:).

-jP

Tom

pilot
Contributor
All you need to do is pass. There's no extra points for maxing the test out.

pennst8

Next guy to ask about thumbdrives gets shot.
Contributor
in nrotc the minimum isnt really the minumum

That's true, you need a good low in each event for NROTC... but to be fair, as long as you're passing with the GL, they might harp at you to work on your PT score, but nothing will ever come of it so long as you don't fail.