• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Options for Aviators to serve in the field

JSF_Dreamer

Busted Head
You may get to be a MWSG Platoon commander or some such ilk, but stop dreaming of Infantry jobs. The only job for a pilot in an Infantry battalion is Forward Air Controller. If you stick around the battalion long enough (tour lasts about 1 year) you may get to be the H&S Company Commander, but you're not going to be a platoon commander.

I see. Either way is fine if I'm flying. If, for whatever reason, I didn't get pilot, I'd much more like an infantry position than sitting on a boat doing paperwork. So I'm thinking Marines may be a better choice in that aspect.

KBayDog

...I didn't get pilot, I'd much more like an infantry position than sitting on a boat doing paperwork. So I'm thinking Marines may be a better choice in that aspect.

If you are a Marine pilot, there is a very good chance you will sit on a boat doing paperwork. If you are Marine infantry, there is a very good chance you will sit on a boat doing paperwork.

If not on a boat, I guarantee you will sit behind a desk on terra ferma doing paperwork. Paperwork as an officer is a fact of life.

Believe it.

HueyCobra8151

pilot
If you are a Marine pilot, there is a very good chance you will sit on a boat doing paperwork. If you are Marine infantry, there is a very good chance you will sit on a boat doing paperwork.

If not on a boat, I guarantee you will sit behind a desk on terra ferma doing paperwork. Paperwork as an officer is a fact of life.

Believe it.

Way to crush all my hopes and dreams...

I can still plan on landing the helicopter in the middle of a firefight and going out with my m9 and a kabar though, right?

KBayDog

I can still plan on landing the helicopter in the middle of a firefight and going out with my m9 and a kabar though, right?

Sure.

large_tropic_thunder_movie_cast.jpg

JSF_Dreamer

Busted Head

Believe it.

If you read what I wrote, you would see that I said that in regards to not being a pilot at all. So what I was saying was that I'd rather be an Infantry Officer where I wouldn't be doing paper work all the time (with my dad being an officer I hear about a lot of his paper work...).

In essence I was saying that I wouldn't be happy with any job in the navy other than pilot, but I would be happy in the marines as infantry.

KBayDog

If you read what I wrote, you would see that I said that in regards to not being a pilot at all. So what I was saying was that I'd rather be an Infantry Officer where I wouldn't be doing paper work all the time (with my dad being an officer I hear about a lot of his paper work...).

In essence I was saying that I wouldn't be happy with any job in the navy other than pilot, but I would be happy in the marines as infantry.

I read what you wrote.

Regardless of what service you choose, and regardless of your "chosen" occupation, paperwork is a large part of what we do as officers. Pilot, grunt, butcher, baker, or candlestick maker - you will always be trying to keep your head above water with respect to the amount of paperwork you are required to do. Some of it is an unnecessary paper-pushing drill, but the majority of it is instrumental in we take care of the warriors we lead (FitReps, awards, etc.)

If that does not suit your personality (it is not for everyone, even those who have to do it day in and day out), you could always enlist as an infantryman.

You're doing a good job of researching your potential profession; keep it up.

JSF_Dreamer

Busted Head
I guess what I'm trying to say is that I don't want paper work to be all I do. Like if I'm a SW JO. If I was a pilot or infantryman then I could handle whatever amount of paperwork I had to do in exchange for doing one of the most kick-ass jobs in the world.

My dad started in the Navy as enlisted. Dropped out of high-school and joined up as a sonar tech on fast-attacks. Now he's an LDO and I saw how hard he had to work for it. Graduated top of his OCS class and he is quite an inspiration to me. He's always stressed that if I want to be in the military, then going officer is the way to do it (especially if I want pilot).

There's absolutely nothing wrong with going enlisted, but I do already have a wife and child and going in as an officer will provide them with a better lifestyle than I could give them if I went enlisted. Plus, I only have a year of college left and my wife would throttle me in my sleep if I quit now.

Clux4

Banned
As an Officer, you will spend time in the office. But there are soo many factors that determine how much time you really spend in the office to include your Senior Enlisted Advisor(SEA) aka Salt of the SEA (i.e. 1stSgt, Chiefs), XO and ultimately your command. All in all BPT spend long hours!!

BigRed389

None
SWOs do a lot more than paperwork.

Are you a SWO?

Practically all assigned SWO "work" in port is admin bullshit.

By comparison, I'm curious how much time Marine officers balance between field/tactical/unit training and paperwork.

phrogpilot73

Are you a SWO?

Practically all assigned SWO "work" in port is admin bullshit.

By comparison, I'm curious how much time Marine officers balance between field/tactical/unit training and paperwork.
Put it this way - when you're in garrison (as a grunt) it's nothing but paperwork. Most of the tactical/unit training is done on the small unit level (platoon or lower). So as a Capt? Paperwork. In the field it's a little different. I would equate being in the field with being at sea, and garrison being similar to being in port. The breakdown is probably close.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
I'm Navy so take it with a grain of salt, but from what I've heard from my peers both infantry and aviation are very competitive to get as a Marine. So, while possible, it is unlikely that you would fall short from one and resort to the other. Much like joining the Navy to be a pilot, not making it, and going SEAL's is unlikely. Although there's a guy in my squadron that went the opposite way...

Marines please correct me if I'm wrong (speaking from the experience of having a Marine roomate in API that got attrited), but if you don't make it as a pilot/NFO chances are you are not going to another highly competitive designator like infantry. You will be at the mercy of redesignation.

So if I were you I would pick what I want to do, not what had the best back up plan and stay focussed on achieving that goal. Look in to the culture and lifestyle of Marines vs. Navy, see which one fits you better. They are both very unique. You are going to spend far more time experiencing life as a Marine/Naval Officer than you are doing your "kick-ass job" so chose which one truly fits you better and go with it.

phrogpilot73

Marines please correct me if I'm wrong (speaking from the experience of having a Marine roomate in API that got attrited), but if you don't make it as a pilot/NFO chances are you are not going to another highly competitive designator like infantry. You will be at the mercy of redesignation.
I know two fallen angels that are infantry officers. Both of them fought long and hard, and had Infantry O-6's write them letters of rec/make phone calls on their behalf. So, it can be done - but you've gotta work at it.

spitfiremkxiv

Pepe's sandwich
Contributor
To sum it up:

Your dream of becoming a Marine aviator and a sniper has been crushed, thanks to this thread.

Jokes aside, your desire to do both and your resourcefulness towards the matter indicate that you have the proper attitude. You're ready for the next step, whichever you decide.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Realistically, you can't be EVERY member of the A-team. Pick a career you'd be happy with, and try your best to pursue and kick ass at it. If an opportunity presents itself to try out another of your desires .... *cough* IA *cough*, then try that too, if you like.