• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Options for Aviators to serve in the field

HueyCobra8151

pilot
If only BA could fly planes, sweet talk chicks, and mastermind the whole plan...man...that would be a great show: "The A guy"

East

东部
Contributor
No plane

I ain't gettin' on no plane.....fool!

Attachments

• A-Team_Mr-T_No_Plain_t-shirt_small.jpg
    A-Team_Mr-T_No_Plain_t-shirt_small.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 31

a_m

Still learning how much I don't know.
None
Is there the opportunity as a Navy pilot to learn any hand to hand combat?

Rex_Kwon_Do.jpg

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Is there the opportunity as a Navy pilot to learn any hand to hand combat?

It's now a required part of Marine Corps culture and warrior ethos, but not Naval Aviation unless you get attached or assigned to a NSW unit. You could always do an exchange with a Marine squadron or join in their training if colocated. I'm sure they wouldn't turn you away :)

exo

What is a NSW unit? Also, is that something that is often done, an exchange? that sounds interesting...

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
What is a NSW unit? Also, is that something that is often done, an exchange? that sounds interesting...

Naval Special Warfare (NSW). SEAL units have aviators (pilots and NFOs) attached either in IA billets or on PCS orders in some cases. They get to go forward and have to take care of themselves like Intel and other support personnel so they get exposed to a wide variety of training including weapons.

exo

Man, that sounds right up my alley. Is it just chance getting put on a NSW unit? Is it oly Helo's?

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Is it just chance getting put on a NSW unit? Is it oly Helo's?

No chance is involved. Now that GWOT has resulted in more aviators working with NSW, the opportunities are volunteers only and have included A-6, F-14, F/A-18, EA-6B, P-3, SH-60 pilots/NFOs. Some guys have gone for an IA slot to prove themselves worthy for a longer term PCS assignment. The aviators who are in the positions or have been in them look out for prospects to follow them.