• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

oorah or hooyah?

torpedo0126

Ok this is kind of embarassing, but for the last 5 years I was always under the impression that the Navy used oorah for its "battle cry" (obviously not in daily conversation like Marines). I've heard Navy personnel say it numerous times, including O-6s.

I was studying with one of my Marine friends today and he tried to convince me that we say Hooyah. I could have sworn thats pretty much a SEAL specific thing, and not used by the Navy in general.

I know kind of stupid post, but i at least want to make sure I was correct about Hooyah and SEALs.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
oohrah - Marines
Hooyah - Navy (SEALs mostly)
Hooah - Army (scent of a woman anyone?)

Air Force may have a battle cry, but I have no idea what it is: "Pass the coffee pot airman"??

And for asking this question... uh... ya, sure. Kill yourself :)

GO_AV8_DevilDog

Round 2...
Contributor
I know the cause of this problem, it's quite simply having Marines a part of NROTC, you get a Marine battalion commander and quite simply all the new MIDN will start saying Oorah.

Its just the result of having a more dominant personality type around :icon_wink

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
There was a legitimate article in one of the Military Times pubs that the Air Force had officially tried making their battle cry "Air Power." What a joke. You couldnt even brain wash me into screaming that the way the Marine Corps did with oorah.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Air Force may have a battle cry, but I have no idea what it is: "Pass the coffee pot airman"??

I don't know if they're still pushing this but for a time I believe they were supposed to say "airpower!" to each other. I don't think it caught on.

HueyCobra8151

pilot
When sailors are wearing blue cammies can they yell "seapower" to each other?

I would.

I'm just sayin'...

Don't judge me.