• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

oorah or hooyah?

Shakey

I'm talkin, G-5...!
pilot
Dare I take part in this thread? Yes. This was sent out to our company by a very motivated and vocal OC before he commissioned (please don't nuke the messenger):

"For your digestion.

Definition of “HooYah”

"HooYah" (or also "Hoo ah) adj., adv., n., v., conj., interj., excla. Orig. unknown Slang. 1. Referring to or meaning anything and everything except "no". 2. What to say when at a loss for words. 3. (a). Good copy. (b). Roger. ©. Solid copy. (d). Good. (e). Great. (f). Message received. (g). Understood. (h). Acknowledged. 4. (a). Glad to meet you. (b). Welcome. 5. "All right!" 6. (a). I don't know the answer, but I'll check on it. (b). I haven't the foggiest idea. 7. I am not listening. 8. "That is enough of your drivel; sit down!" 9. Yes. 10. "You've got to be kidding me!" 11. Thank you. 12. Go to the next slide. 13. You've taken the correct action. 14. I don't know what that means, but I'm too embarrassed to ask for clarification. 15. Squared away . 16. Amen!

Generic term for a random object or thing being referenced. See also: shaboink.

Dude, I broke the hooyah off my door."

Well, I hope that clears some things up.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
In the mid-'60's ... UDT (not SEALs just yet) used "HOOYAH"! and it occasionally it sounded like "HOOOAH"!, depending on how tired they were ... :)

How do I "know"?? 'Cause they yelled "HOOYAH (HOOOAH), MIDSHIPMEN"!! at us @ CORONADO as we dragged our sorry asses past them while on a beach "fun run" ... :D

Python

pilot
Contributor
At least where I'm at the "Air Power" caught on. The AFROTC cadets say it incessantly.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Rocky, I like you but you're letting your decades of Marine kool-aid color your vision.

The Navy has been saying HOOYAH since the UDT guys in WWII.

Army of One is a recent recruiting slogan. Before that it was Army Strong and before that it was Be All You Can Be. The Army has had "catch phrases" since at least WWII but they were normally branch specific like AIRBORNE.

As far as HOOAH goes, like Phrogdriver said, the Army has always had HUA for heard, understood and acknowledged. They pronounced it HOOAH but it was never a common thing, just used on an occasional basis as an acknowledgement. I was an Army brat and Army reservist up until 1982. I never heard HOOAH used commonly until after I was commissioned in the Navy and visiting my Dad in 1984 at the Persidio of Monterey (DLI) where he was a COL and the base commander.

The Persidio came under the 7th Infantry Division at Fort Ord. It's commander at that time (a 2 star) liked the way the 82nd Airborne Division used AIRBORNE and wanted something for the regular infantry. He put out a directive that HOOAH was the appropriate response to any and all orders as well as the greeting to be extended while saluting. It became the 7ID's catch phrase.

When this General left 7ID/Fort Ord and went on to bigger and better commands, he took his HOOAH directives with him and it spread Army wide.

My Dad hated the HOOAH thing, ignored the directive and was glad he retired before HOOAH caught on Army-wide. He said it sounded like everyone had allergies or were clearing their throat. Hence my saying Gazuntite to any Army guy whenever I heard HOOAH.

I had a much better one of these in my cubicle at SOUTHCOM:

FlyinRock

HAL
Isn't it interesting that we get different points of view and history from our personal experiences! I know the same can be said of many different cultural sayings, expressions, etc. Some are really funny, some sad but all interesting to me.
Thanks for the Army perspective. Never had a lot of contact with them except when we were outshooting them at matches and they never did much except grumble about it. <g>
Now I am more informed and in another 25 years or so, I can lay out the word as seen from the 2009 perspective.
Semper Fi (and a friendly one)
Rocky
BTW: is it boondocks, or boomdocks? Got my own version of that one too and its boomdocks as out in the nowhere land where the cargo ships were unloaded by cargo booms. That also came from my ol man back when I was running around in the sand of/near the boomdocks in San Diego in the early/mid 40's. Back in the days when a 6 yr old was safe no matter where they went.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
BTW: is it boondocks, or boomdocks? Got my own version of that one too and its boomdocks as out in the nowhere land where the cargo ships were unloaded by cargo booms. That also came from my ol man back when I was running around in the sand of/near the boomdocks in San Diego in the early/mid 40's. Back in the days when a 6 yr old was safe no matter where they went.

Everything I have seen says it orginates from Tagalog and we picked it up when we stayed in the PI after the Spanish-American War.

Boondocks

FlyinRock

Everything I have seen says it orginates from Tagalog and we picked it up when we stayed in the PI after the Spanish-American War.

Boondocks
Flash
Thanks for the link. Even so, several variations of origins huh? Such fun.
OoRah in the boondocks for grunts and jarheads and squids and airhorse, and doggies, and ...... Wooooowww.
I must confess, while conversational in several languages, I am not coversant in Ebonics or its variants as seems to be a new requirement.

torpedo0126

so whats the consensus then, other than people think I am idiot for bringing it up?

is oorah used in the Navy, is there nothing, or is technically hooyah?

helmet91

contemplating applying again...
I drill with a EUCOM unit. It's about 60/38/1/1 Army/Navy/Marines/Air Force...

My XO (LCDR) says hooah all the time, I think he's been around the Army too much.