• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

oorah or hooyah?

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
....BTW: is it boondocks, or boomdocks?...
Com'on, Rock ... you're old enough to know better than that: :D

Leaving the P.I. aside for the moment --- 1965 -- written by Joe South (GREAT song writer - 'Walk a mile in my shoes' and 'Games People Play') and recorded by Billy Joe Royal ....

203422589.jpg

" ..... Down in the boondocks
Down in the boondocks
People put me down 'cause
That's the side of town I was born in
I love her she loves me but I don't fit in her society
Lord have mercy on the boy from down in the boondocks
...."

Etc., etc., etc .... :)

brownshoe

Contributor
Com'on, Rock ... you're old enough to know better than that: :D

Leaving the P.I. aside for the moment --- 1965 -- written by Joe South (GREAT song writer - 'Walk a mile in my shoes' and 'Games People Play') and recorded by Billy Joe Royal ....

203422589.jpg

" ..... Down in the boondocks
Down in the boondocks
People put me down 'cause
That's the side of town I was born in
I love her she loves me but I don't fit in her society
Lord have mercy on the boy from down in the boondocks
...."

Etc., etc., etc .... :)

Boondockers were shoes to me.;) This was music, A4’s.:D (at the time)

Steve

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
so whats the consensus then, other than people think I am idiot for bringing it up?

is oorah used in the Navy, is there nothing, or is technically hooyah?

Both are used. If you're an OCS grad, then you'd be saying "oorah" as you go through API. Then you pretty much forget about it and don't come up with anything until "yippee" going down the cat stroke or "ugh" on the trap. That's about it.

...and then there's always: "*&@*$!!!"

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
I say fuck a lot. Is that not right?

It's not a question of "right" or "wrong" .... for as time passes and you gain more experience -- you'll come to realize it's more like:
ALOHA

shaka_02.png

... and Hooyah to you, too. :)

*edit* ... are we done here?? W/ this mind bending question .... ??? Is there any more that can be said ... ??? :)

HercDriver

Idiots w/boats = job security
pilot
Super Moderator
I believe the consensus is hooyah.
Dunno. When I went to Navy Dive school in '95 (scuba), the instructors make you say "hooyah" at everything; before and after PT, in place of "aye aye" or "roger", and everything in between. They also indicated it was only said by Seals/Dive/UDT types, so I'm not sure how much it has spread beyond that.

It was, of course, used ironically:

"Dude. Quit being so goddamn hooyah on us. We need a little break".

Screamtruth

นักมวย
My last job was at SOUTHCOM where it was 80% Army.

The Army guys would say "Hooah" and I'd immediately say "Gazuntite". It would drive them crazy.

When I went to the JOTC in Fort Sherman, Panama, the instructors were Army (Greens I think) and during the lectures or briefs, they would say "Hoo" throughout the thing. Took all I had not to laugh because I did not know what the hell "Hoo" meant. Kind of a weird venture when you have the Army instructor give the "Hoo" and a bunch of confounded Marines give a hesitated "Hoorah?".

Must be their shortened Hooah.

Hoo.

utak

When OCS was still in Pensacola and Aircrew school was right across the street, Aircrew candidates in formation would yell "Hoooooooooooooooyah" whenever one of their Manly Men Instructors walked out for the afternoon muster.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
When OCS was still in Pensacola and Aircrew school was right across the street, Aircrew candidates in formation would yell "Hoooooooooooooooyah" whenever one of their Manly Men Instructors walked out for the afternoon muster.

For the first 3-4 weeks, I swore they said "SUUUUUUUUUUUUYYYYYYAAAAAAA!"

Perhaps it was just the coincidental timing of our trip to the sand pit soon after they screamed it. :D

And yes, MB. IIRC....

"REEEEAAAAADY! ....... MOVE!"

"KILL!"

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
When I went to Jump School in the '60's -- the ONLY thing said w/ any consistency was either "AIRBORNE" or "GERONIMO" !!! :D

They DID have one little Jody/Jodie (either sic) call that went something like this:

"Airborne, Airborne, have you heard ... ?

We're gonna' jump from the big-ass bird"!!!
:D

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
I like to say "Ma'halo Bitches"

Seriously, a few years ago I remember that there was a concerted effort to have a Navy moto battle cry ala hooah, hoo-yah, and ooh rah. The USN elected to go with "Huzzah" which has it's roots in the Colonial Navy, ( If you watch the movie the Patriot, I believe it's used as a rally cry as well when Mel rides down with new flag).. Evidently, huzzah never really took off.
And what did the boys that wear the pump me in the ass blue uniforms and ascots come up with??? "Airpower!"