• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

October-ish 2015 Pilot/NFO Rolling Board

z06z33

Hey all, I just found this forum, I wish I had found it earlier.... Anyway I got a Pro Rec Y on this board for a pilot slot. As for the number of applicants who got selected I know out of the 4 packets my recruiter sent all 4 of us got a slot.

Last edited:

flynavy830

Hey all, I just found this forum, I wish I had found it earlier.... Anyway I got a Pro Rec Y on this board for a pilot slot. As for the number of applicants who got selected I know out of the 4 packets my recruiter sent all 4 of us got a slot.

What were your stats?

flynavy830

55/6/7/6 ASTB, 2.8 GPA in business, PPL with 100+ hours flying time and high performance/complex sign off.

Right on. I guess I'll post my stats finally. I haven't taken new ASTB yet, just old paper version a few years ago when I started school.

3.73 GPA in aero science, 3.06 when factoring in first school
5/6/5 48
100 hours flight time

elmernite

PRO REC Y: SNA
Does anyone know what the standard gap between getting Pro Rec Y and getting the actual FINSEL is? What sort of gap generally exists between getting FINSEL and OCS start date?
My OSO, said 1-3 weeks for FINSEL 1-4 months for OCS from that point, but I have seen some numbers in peoples signatures that were much longer waits. Does the candidates age affect this?
-Ken

sharkbait1

pilot
Does anyone know what the standard gap between getting Pro Rec Y and getting the actual FINSEL is? What sort of gap generally exists between getting FINSEL and OCS start date?
My OSO, said 1-3 weeks for FINSEL 1-4 months for OCS from that point, but I have seen some numbers in peoples signatures that were much longer waits. Does the candidates age affect this?
-Ken
Doesn't seem like there's a standard gap. FINSEL could be weeks or months. I was pro rec back in June, and still have yet to get my FINSEL. I was told that age does play a factor, and based on your stats we're in the same boat :D See if you can get hooked up with the 03JAN16 OCS class. I spoke to my OR last week and I have the tentative date scheduled, now I'm just waiting for the official FINSEL.

sharkbait1

pilot
Don't know what I'm thinking of then. It was something like 120 applicants for pilot and 112 selected, maybe it was a different board.
Last board in June.
Some data from this board: 127 applicants for Pilot. 120 selects. (94.5% selection rate). Of the 127, 12 came from active-enlisted (fleet).
There were 19 NFO-only applicants. 16 were selected. 2 of 19 applicants came from the fleet.

CONGRATS to all who were selected! (results have been pushed out so your recruiters should be getting the word soon)

cito

Anyone else in here waiting on a FINSEL with a current full-time job? I'm working as an engineer, and don't want to "put in my two weeks" until I get the OCS report date, so I can time it right in case they let me go early I don't have a huge gap in paychecks. I also want to balance that with letting my company know with as much advance notice as possible so it could end up being "putting in my 4 months" notice. Just seeing if anyone else is in the same boat.

mb1685

Anyone else in here waiting on a FINSEL with a current full-time job? I'm working as an engineer, and don't want to "put in my two weeks" until I get the OCS report date, so I can time it right in case they let me go early I don't have a huge gap in paychecks. I also want to balance that with letting my company know with as much advance notice as possible so it could end up being "putting in my 4 months" notice. Just seeing if anyone else is in the same boat.

If you're worried they'll let you go early for being honest about the situation, then just keep it under wraps and wait to give them two weeks notice, whenever that time may be. That doesn't make you an asshole. It's standard practice in the workforce.

z06z33

When I went to my recruiter today to get my finger prints done and background check forms signed he said to expect to go to OCS either slightly before or just after Thanksgiving of this year... He said they were way short and needed people out of OCS and in pilot training. I was hoping for a bit more time to get back in shape (ie a January OCS date or better yet maybe a spring one) but I guess I'll just have to hit the workout that much harder. I may try to get moved to a later class because I'd hate to show up out of shape.

Last edited:

sharkbait1

pilot
I was in a very similar situation at a small civil firm. I had to tell them early on because I had to list them as an employer reference...did you not have to for your SF-86? In any case, I told them I'd keep them in the loop as soon as I had any information. I was pretty forthcoming. When I got pro-rec, I pretty much knew I couldn't start later than January to finish on time. I told them I expected to be with them through the end of the year...and then I got a January OCS date.

Obviously I'm not trying to make a decision for you, just offering my experience in a similar setting. However, I would tend to be up front about my intentions, to avoid anyone thinking you're attempting to be deceptive. Regardless, you're not leaving for a competing firm. You're going to serve your country, so that those guys can stay back in the office and do their good work. It's an honorable decision and any good employer should realize that, and help you transition. Best of luck!

cito

If you're worried they'll let you go early for being honest about the situation, then just keep it under wraps and wait to give them two weeks notice, whenever that time may be. That doesn't make you an asshole. It's standard practice in the workforce.
I was in a very similar situation at a small civil firm. I had to tell them early on because I had to list them as an employer reference...did you not have to for your SF-86? In any case, I told them I'd keep them in the loop as soon as I had any information. I was pretty forthcoming. When I got pro-rec, I pretty much knew I couldn't start later than January to finish on time. I told them I expected to be with them through the end of the year...and then I got a January OCS date.

Obviously I'm not trying to make a decision for you, just offering my experience in a similar setting. However, I would tend to be up front about my intentions, to avoid anyone thinking you're attempting to be deceptive. Regardless, you're not leaving for a competing firm. You're going to serve your country, so that those guys can stay back in the office and do their good work. It's an honorable decision and any good employer should realize that, and help you transition. Best of luck!
OK thanks for the advice! and sharkbait1
I forgot to mention, I did list them on my SF-86 as employer, but the guy who took the call is actually my direct supervisor, and former Navy Nuke, and told me he wasn't going to tell anyone 'till I found out for sure. Also, I found out today that a former employee who got selected for instructor at nuke power school in Charlston (last year) told our CEO/President about it once he got his Pro Rec Y and then they let him go immediately instead of waiting for his FINSEL like he hoped.

I want to give them notice so I don't blindside them with leaving, but also don't want to end up like the other guy who the CEO let go early. Its a small engineering firm, so the CEO is directly involved in all personnel matters. Oh well. Worst case is I go live with family or friends till Newport. I have heard that this CEO is pretty irrational and ruthless when it comes to people leaving and feeling betrayed by employees who leave, however noble their intentions. I would like to be upfront with them like you said and let my intentions be known, but I may have to just wait. Either way thanks to both of y'all for your replies they definitely settled my mind about the matter.