• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

October 08 boards

ASHWND

(BDCP) Supply Corps OC
My OR said that it was to get a better flow of applicants over the course of the year, and to give the applicants applying in month 9 (just an example) a chance. Because previously most of the slots were filled up in the first few months.

It only sucks now, but it probably means a much better crew of guys when you to to OCS because competition is much stiffer. No offense to this guys selected before this quota system. I am sure you are all perfectly qualified.

atrickpay

BDCP SNA
My OR said that it was to get a better flow of applicants over the course of the year, and to give the applicants applying in month 9 (just an example) a chance. Because previously most of the slots were filled up in the first few months.

It only sucks now, but it probably means a much better crew of guys when you to to OCS because competition is much stiffer. No offense to this guys selected before this quota system. I am sure you are all perfectly qualified.

I would actually think it to be the opposite, or at the very least the same. Because there's no method to how they pick the 50 (or however many), you'll still be going up against the same competition as before, just less of it. Of course the other 49 guys that get in could be the best 49 of the year, or they could be the worst. Still pretty random, but if you have a strong package against less people, you should stand out better. Just my opinion.

I just hope they have a way of evening out the flow, and don't end up with a 5 month backlog after 2 months. You'll have to resubmit your package immediately after hearing of non-select to make it in at the 6 month mark!

Ah well, they'll get to my package when they get to it, not really anything I can do about it at that point.

ASHWND

(BDCP) Supply Corps OC
I would actually think it to be the opposite, or at the very least the same. Because there's no method to how they pick the 50 (or however many), you'll still be going up against the same competition as before, just less of it. Of course the other 49 guys that get in could be the best 49 of the year, or they could be the worst. Still pretty random, but if you have a strong package against less people, you should stand out better. Just my opinion.

I just hope they have a way of evening out the flow, and don't end up with a 5 month backlog after 2 months. You'll have to resubmit your package immediately after hearing of non-select to make it in at the 6 month mark!

Ah well, they'll get to my package when they get to it, not really anything I can do about it at that point.

I was just the messenger. Either something was wrong with the system, or they are testing something new, like pre-screening packages for quality. Or maybe they are cutting back on quota numbers for ORs, and would prefer they spent more time with fewer applicants. It is too soon to notice the impact and see their reasoning.

atrickpay

BDCP SNA
Just got back from my PRT, ended up with a good medium. I passed though, so thats good enough for me. My package is complete, my OR is just going to run my police report (damn speeding ticket) and submit it.

I got some new gouge on the board package limits too. My OR mentioned that they were thinking about starting an new method of accepting packages for SNA, NFO, and SWO only. They would use the first 3 fiscal months (Oct,Nov,Dec) to look over all the packages from the previous year, and discontinuing the monthly deal that they're doing now. If they will actually implement this I have no idea, but that's a long wait to find out about selection.

Not sure how this affects the whole 6 month reapplication process either. Don't start any riots or anything, but if you were planning on applying in January next year, you might want to push it up to Dec to be safe ;). Anyways we'll probably hear more about it in the coming weeks or months.

It feels good to have everything out of my hands now. Time to replace the stress with anxiety!

nugget61

pilot
Just got back from my PRT, ended up with a good medium. I passed though, so thats good enough for me. My package is complete, my OR is just going to run my police report (damn speeding ticket) and submit it.

I got some new gouge on the board package limits too. My OR mentioned that they were thinking about starting an new method of accepting packages for SNA, NFO, and SWO only. They would use the first 3 fiscal months (Oct,Nov,Dec) to look over all the packages from the previous year, and discontinuing the monthly deal that they're doing now. If they will actually implement this I have no idea, but that's a long wait to find out about selection.

Not sure how this affects the whole 6 month reapplication process either. Don't start any riots or anything, but if you were planning on applying in January next year, you might want to push it up to Dec to be safe ;). Anyways we'll probably hear more about it in the coming weeks or months.

It feels good to have everything out of my hands now. Time to replace the stress with anxiety!

Wow, that system would suck for reapplying. Really hope they don't do that, but if you hear more about it keep us updated.

phrogpilot73

If I'm not mistaken, Supply guys are restricted line officers. Which means you can't command if you are supply. Please correct me if I am wrong but I'm pretty sure that's how it goes. If you want to command you need to be an unrestricted line officer SNA/NFO/SWO that sort.

Yeah, the are Staff Corp guys... SWO/NFO/NA/SEAL are all URL, so those would be the only possible CO and XO communities (I also think that IW might as well, not sure). I am pretty sure that I am going to go SWO. I want to command one day, so I guess Supply is out.

Wow. The blind leading the blind.

URL = UnRestricted LINE Officer
RL = Restricted LINE Officer

Guess what they share in common? The ability to command. What's the difference between the two? URL guys can have command at sea. So, a URL guy can have command at sea and ashore, an RL guy can only have command ashore, and a Staff Corps guy can't have command.

URL = SWO, NA/NFO, SUB, SEAL
RL = EDO, AEDO, AMDO, Intel, IW, PAO, Oceanography, IP, and HR
Staff Corps = Medical, Dental, Nurse, Medical Service, Chaplain, Supply, CEC, JAG.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yeah, the are Staff Corp guys... SWO/NFO/NA/SEAL are all URL, so those would be the only possible CO and XO communities (I also think that IW might as well, not sure). I am pretty sure that I am going to go SWO. I want to command one day, so I guess Supply is out.

Oh really? Supply types can indeed aspire to command. There are a number of Fleet & Industrial Supply Centers with CO and XOs running the show like this pair. "Chops" as aviators like to call them, also can aspire to not only Flag rank, but command as a Flag officer:

The Secretary of the Navy has approved the selection of Rear Admiral Mike Lyden, SC, USN to become the Commander, Naval Supply Systems Command and 45th Chief of Supply Corps.

RADM Lyden currently serves as the Director, Supply, Ordnance and Logistics Operations Division (N41), Office of the Chief of Naval Operations. His previous Flag tours included joint duty as Director, Logistics and Security Assistance (J4), U.S. European Command; and as Commander, Defense Supply Center Richmond.

RADM Lyden earned a Bachelor's degree in Management Engineering from Rensselear Polytechnic Institute and was commissioned through the Naval ROTC program in 1978. He also earned an MBA from Harvard University and completed the Advanced Management Program at the Kellogg School of Management, Northwestern University.

He has served in a wide-range of key leadership positions, afloat and ashore. At sea, he served as Supply Officer, USS VALDEZ (FF 1096); Stock Control Officer, USNS SIRIUS (T-AFS 8); and as Supply Officer USS CARL VINSON (CVN 70). Ashore, he has served on the staff of the Navy Supply Corps School, the Naval Supply Systems Command, the former Naval Aviation Supply Office, NAS Whidbey Island, the Office of the Chief of Naval Operations, and DLA headquarters.

RADM Lyden is a qualified Naval Aviation Supply Officer and Surface Warfare Supply Corps Officer and is a member of the Navy Acquisition Professional Community.
You might want to check out the NAVSUP website before you make such pronouncements on AW. The entire command structure is there and biographies of all the CO/XOs. Note: being a CVN Suppo is a pretty significant billet for them that can lead to a 0-6 command (much akin to Aviation maintainers holding the AIMD billet on a carrier...they can command units in their community as well).

You might also want to note that submarines have XO/COs that are not aviators nor are they SWOs. The submarine service is mighty proud of their warfighter status and can aspire to be CNO. There are also other communities, like EOD and Oceanography, that have command opportunities that involve at sea as well as ashore responsibilities. Don't be so quick to summarize command opportunities from your limited exposure.

ASHWND

(BDCP) Supply Corps OC
Sorry about the mis information, wasn't my intention. I was talking about Commanding a ship at Sea... Looking back on my comment I realize I should have made that clear. I know the Supply guys can to Flag, and I didn't mean to imply that they couldn't. But one thing you did clear up was the RL, I thought that those were only piror enlisted guys, or are they LDOs? I should probably do more research...

On the Carrier documentary that PBS put out, wasn't the CO an IW? I was confused by that because I thought that they weren't considered URL officers.

phrogpilot73

Sorry about the mis information, wasn't my intention. I was talking about Commanding a ship at Sea... Looking back on my comment I realize I should have made that clear. I know the Supply guys can to Flag, and I didn't mean to imply that they couldn't. But one thing you did clear up was the RL, I thought that those were only piror enlisted guys, or are they LDOs? I should probably do more research...

On the Carrier documentary that PBS put out, wasn't the CO an IW? I was confused by that because I thought that they weren't considered URL officers.
The misinformation is strong with this one.

RL is not the exclusive realm of prior enlisted. LDO = prior enlisted (limited duty officer - cannot command at all).

The CO of the carrier was an Aviator of some flavor. I guarantee it.

IW = RL, so no - they aren't "considered" URL, because they're not URL...

bb081132

October 08 Board

Greetings All:

My OR said my package is being sent for the October 08 board.

* Applying for Supply and SWO

* 27 y/o male

* 3.14 GPA - Texas Wesleyan University; Studies in Business, Mathematics & Computer Science, and the Fine Arts

* 2.5 years experience as a Police Officer

Good luck to all.

~BB

bb081132

October 08 Board

Hey man, gl and welcome to AW! Just curious, what major did you pull out of all of those studies?

Thank you for the warm welcome.

When I was in school, with those three areas of concentration, I was able to earn a BS in interdisciplinary studies back in May of 2004. I put myself through a police academy, worked for the State of Texas in Corrections briefly, and finally got hired onto the PD I work for now.

It's been a fun ride and I'm anxious to see if earning a commission with the Navy is in my future.

exo

Hi all, I've posted this elsewhere but I wanted to join this thread. My recruiter worked with me to get my application in late last week, so I'm not too optimistic about squeezing into the October boards. I'm extremely excited about finding out my future, the wait is brutal. Stats:

SNA Only
22 Year old male
Healthy, no police record, successful PRK Surgery.
3.1 GPA in Mechanical/Aerospace Engineering.
7/7/7/61
78 Curl ups 72 Pushups 10:08 run.
43 Hours flight time.

Inexorable

Sitting in Purgatory
Well, my OR submitted my application at the start of the month and he has said there have not been any problems. So, I think I'm set for the October boards; whether or not I am one of the rumored 50 or so remains to be seen, however.

Applying for SNA and SNFO.
24 year old male as of two weeks ago.
3.056 GPA from the University of California, San Diego in U.S. History and Political Science.
7/7/6/56 ASTB
LORS: Marine O-6, Dean at my university, two previous employers.
Misc: Resident Advisor for two years.
Worked throughout all of college.

Here's hoping. Good luck to all.

Longhorn

I, too, had my application sent in late last week so i'm not very optimistic, but I wanted to know when the next few boards are. I believe there is a november board, however, last year there wasn't a december board, so will that be the case again this year? I've also been told that if you aren't selected that you have to wait 6 months, is that correct??